advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The carrot and stick approach to maintaining EU membership is well established and Brexit has reduced exit within the 27 to talk but no action.
There are hard times ahead and i think the EU in its present form will be gone within 20 years to be replaced by some form of cost effective trade organisation.
Hang on, you mean to say our timely escape from the EU Titanic has avoided a calamity that might not happen for 20 years?

French minister and NIP hardliner Clement Beaune has complained that the UK placing restrictions on travellers returning from France is 'excessive', and 'not based on scientific evidence'.

The needles on the old irony meter are flashing well into the red.

About 1% of all goods going into the EU pass between NI and the RoI. By way of response perhaps the government should inquire of M. Beaune whether the imposition of some 20% of all inward EU checks taking place on the Irish Sea into NI is based on any evidence whatsoever, let alone of the scientific variety, of disruption to the EU single market.

In further calamitous news for the moribund post-Brexit UK economy, software giant SAP, Germany's most valuable corporation, is investing £250m in its operations in the City of London and Manchester, in a strategic move that will create 'hundreds' of jobs.

In further calamitous news for the moribund post-Brexit UK economy, software giant SAP, Germany's most valuable corporation, is investing £250m in its operations in the City of London and Manchester, in a strategic move that will create 'hundreds' of jobs.

Prefer to mainly munch the popcorn and watch the misery sadly unfold on this thread but I am surprised EV that you have jumped on a 50m euro a year for 5 years investment as some kind of amazing win. It is a company embedded in the UK gov IT systems and is investing a few bob to ensure they maintain and swallow up more of that market. See no mention of hundreds of jobs there is some mention of an intern programme which is always welcome but nothing worth crowing about.

I hate to burst your balloon :) but this isn't a huge Brexit positive by any normal method of measurement. Kinda more embarrassing really using it as some amazing Brexit positive. Just my euro's worth.

I met a friend on Saturday who I hadn't seen since lockdown started. He runs his own business, importing various stuff for the household domestic market and sells it, mostly in the UK, but also in the EU.

His business is doing quite well and he now has 9 employees in the south west and north of England.

He told me the firm's EU export business totally stopped on Jan 1st. They had built it up to be worth around £200,000 a month in turnover. However they have made absolutely no sales to the EU since Britain left the EU in January, due to customs, bureaucratic and shipping complications. Nothing, zilch, nada. From £200 big ones a month to nothing.

They are exploring options to start up again and the front runner is a 'feet on the ground' presence in the EU, so stuff doesn't have to be imported to the UK, but will instead be sent to the EU and distributed direct from there. That way, my friend's firm can get some of their EU business back, though it will require some reshuffling including hiring staff in the EU and reducing numbers here.

It's only a little firm but I expect this micro-story is being reflected in hundreds of towns and villages across the UK with thousands of firms.

So, all you disbelievers! A positive Brexit effect!

:confused:

Oh wait a minute I might have posted this in the wrong thread.... :oops:

I met a friend on Saturday who I hadn't seen since lockdown started. He runs his own business, importing various stuff for the household domestic market and sells it, mostly in the UK, but also in the EU.

His business is doing quite well and he now has 9 employees in the south west and north of England.

He told me the firm's EU export business totally stopped on Jan 1st. They had built it up to be worth around £200,000 a month in turnover. However they have made absolutely no sales to the EU since Britain left the EU in January, due to customs, bureaucratic and shipping complications. Nothing, zilch, nada. From £200 big ones a month to nothing.

They are exploring options to start up again and the front runner is a 'feet on the ground' presence in the EU, so stuff doesn't have to be imported to the UK, but will instead be sent to the EU and distributed direct from there. That way, my friend's firm can get some of their EU business back, though it will require some reshuffling including hiring staff in the EU and reducing numbers here.

It's only a little firm but I expect this micro-story is being reflected in hundreds of towns and villages across the UK with thousands of firms.

Did you try telling him he just got off the Titanic in time and why doesn’t he go on the government website for advice?

This is exactly the advantage that NI has because of the protocol and what some sensible NI businesses are advising that it gives them an opportunity albeit with the extra costs/hassles with stuff coming from the UK. The knock on job losses from this problem that can't go away are probably camouflaged by covid payments but it seems to me a bloodbath of previously sustainable jobs will be lost. But the DUPS want NI to be in the same leaky boat as the rest of the UK. You have to laugh and move on as there is no Brexiteer prepared to face up to the mess they have created.

This is exactly the advantage that NI has because of the protocol and what some sensible NI businesses are advising that it gives them an opportunity albeit with the extra costs/hassles with stuff coming from the UK. The knock on job losses from this problem that can't go away are probably camouflaged by covid payments but it seems to me a bloodbath of previously sustainable jobs will be lost. But the DUPS want NI to be in the same leaky boat as the rest of the UK. You have to laugh and move on as there is no Brexiteer prepared to face up to the mess they have created.
Let’s not forget, His Excellency Dominic Raab, Her Majesty’s Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary told the people of Northern Ireland in 2019 that Boris Johnson had ‘secured a cracking deal for them’ with frictionless trade with the EU, “no hard border in Ireland, yet remaining in the U.K.” it was “the best of both worlds”.

So good in fact Johnson would not let Scotland or Wales access it.

The carrot and stick approach to maintaining EU membership is well established and Brexit has reduced exit within the 27 to talk but no action.
There are hard times ahead and i think the EU in its present form will be gone within 20 years to be replaced by some form of cost effective trade organisation.

The Cartesian world has ended.

Have a mercy like.

Prefer to mainly munch the popcorn and watch the misery sadly unfold on this thread but I am surprised EV that you have jumped on a 50m euro a year for 5 years investment as some kind of amazing win. It is a company embedded in the UK gov IT systems and is investing a few bob to ensure they maintain and swallow up more of that market. See no mention of hundreds of jobs there is some mention of an intern programme which is always welcome but nothing worth crowing about.

I hate to burst your balloon :) but this isn't a huge Brexit positive by any normal method of measurement. Kinda more embarrassing really using it as some amazing Brexit positive. Just my euro's worth.

I have looked in vain for the adjectives 'amazing' or 'huge' in my post, but try as I might, I just can't find them. It was a slightly sarcastic post (you may have noticed) about something that does not represent a brexit negative, even if it isn't a 'huge' positive.

The mention of jobs came straight from the horse's mouth, that of the CEO, and I quote 'this will create hundreds, if not thousands, of new jobs'. The intern programme is additional, and will number around 250.

There are, as far as I'm aware, no economic gains of brexit as yet, and I don't suppose we'll see any for a long time. The City is hiring, and the economy is rebounding rapidly from the virus, but I don't read any Brexit dividend into that at all, in fact I'm not particularly optimistic that it will sustain for long. In the mid and long term, businesses will adapt, and the City will continue to do it global thing, probably under a better adapted regulatory regime. The relationship with the EU will be progressively mitigated by equivalence, mutual recognition and technical agreements, and we will all adjust to the new norms.

However, let me make myself absolutely clear; Brexit is a failure. It is a failure of governance and diplomacy at the highest levels. It is manifestly a failure of the EU, and it is a failure that the EU is doomed to repeat. It is a failure of successive UK governments of both colours across many years, and it is a failure on a 'massive' scale by the last 3 governments, those of Cameron, May and Johnson.

I am English, British and European. I would have been infinitely happier if there had never been a brexit to vote for, but when that choice was imposed upon all of us, there was, to my eternal regret, only one way that I could vote. I've teetered many times, but I still believe that the decision that I made was the right one.

However, let me make myself absolutely clear; Brexit is a failure. It is a failure of governance and diplomacy at the highest levels. It is manifestly a failure of the EU, and it is a failure that the EU is doomed to repeat. It is a failure of successive UK governments of both colours across many years, and it is a failure on a 'massive' scale by the last 3 governments, those of Cameron, May and Johnson.

I am English, British and European. I would have been infinitely happier if there had never been a brexit to vote for, but when that choice was imposed upon all of us, there was, to my eternal regret, only one way that I could vote. I've teetered many times, but I still believe that the decision that I made was the right one.

I don't disagree with much of that, save for the choice when faced with being inside or outside of the EU. But then had everyone believed that being out really meant being out of everything, I seriously doubt it would have flown. That level of deception was essential to getting any kind of 'out' vote imo.

EU will not fall apart as there is different mentality on continent. Conutries are more connected. EU was formed to prevent wars which were raging trough centuries. There are some issues but there will be evolution, not revolution. In UK there is urge to be in power as British Empire ironed out this mentality, esspecially in elites who rule this coutry. That is big misjudgement of current times and will put UK on back foot for many years to come. Norway, Swiss they can be out, as they are rich as hell. In UK those who are poorer will pay brexit price.

EU will not fall apart as there is different mentality on continent. Conutries are more connected. EU was formed to prevent wars which were raging trough centuries. There are some issues but there will be evolution, not revolution. In UK there is urge to be in power as British Empire ironed out this mentality, esspecially in elites who rule this coutry. That is big misjudgement of current times and will put UK on back foot for many years to come. Norway, Swiss they can be out, as they are rich as hell. In UK those who are poorer will pay brexit price.
I think there is something to this. Partly the Empire thing, but more fundamentally, people who live on islands have a different mentality. Insular, deriving from the Latin for island, describes it very well. It seems to matter less that our island is a fairly large one, the prevailing attitude has soaked down through the generations and still prevails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back