advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are over thinking my post. And it wasn't in response to Colin Barron's post.
I know, your reply was to a post which was itself a reply to Colin Barron's post. I'm not over thinking your post, I'm just reserving the right to use a reply to your post to make a related point of my own.

I disagree.
If it was an universally accepted fact, it would be adopted across the globe.
Billions of people operate under restricted regimes.
Sorry. It's a fact within the EU. As is the fact of the right to privacy and respect for family life, which is a right under the ECHR, in Europe. And not in, say, China or North Korea. What the rest of the world does is a non sequitur here.

If we all voted for the common greater good, there would be little need for different parties. But we don't, so I still maintain the self interest point.
I believe that the voting patterns in the UK are more diverse now, not less.
The fact is that there is no consensus as to what "the common good" is and that is why we have political parties and other organisations and communities of interest pursuing widely differing agendas.

I disagree.
If it was an universally accepted fact, it would be adopted across the globe.
Billions of people operate under restricted regimes.
In the context of the EU, which is what we are talking about, it is one of the Four Freedoms. What the rest of the world choose to do is irrelevant.

Oh yes you did.

What is "consciously against their own self interest" if not altruism? It's the definition of the word.

No, I didn't. Doing something that is not necessarily conducive to self-interest is not by definition altruism at all. It might be simply a matter of principle.

Does having a wife from an EU country count as self interest?

I guess that depends upon the wife...

The fact is that there is no consensus as to what "the common good" is and that is why we have political parties and other organisations and communities of interest pursuing widely differing agendas.
I agree with this point.
My next question would then be : as a society are we moving closer towards the idea of a common good or further apart?
I'm not convinced personally.

In the context of the EU, which is what we are talking about, it is one of the Four Freedoms. What the rest of the world choose to do is irrelevant.
Well, it's relevant now.
We are in that group known as "rest of the world".
That dot disappearing over the horizon in the rear view mirror....that's the EU !

I'm not entirely convinced that EU freedom of movement of people is a freedom at all, or at least, necessarily a good one. It is a freedom for business (capital) to arbitrage labour (people).

I'm not entirely convinced that EU freedom of movement of people is a freedom at all, or at least, necessarily a good one. It is a freedom for business (capital) to arbitrage labour (people).

Absolutely. We are free now to starve the skiving UK benefits culture into having to take some vacancies.

Take it away and how much more free would people be, as we now are....

How do you work that out ? IMO it is exactly the opposite. Wherever any business sites any enterprise everyone in the EU has the right to work there.

No, I didn't. Doing something that is not necessarily conducive to self-interest is not by definition altruism at all. It might be simply a matter of principle.
Ah yes, I was being too charitable. I was making the assumption that you and others voted Leave because you thought it would make the place better over all, even if it personally cost you, and that WOULD have been altruism. Instead it turns out that you and your fellow Leave voters have f***ed the country not out of altruism but out of PRINCIPLE.

A business has the right to relocate to wherever the labour is cheapest, and labour does not have the right to prevent it from doing so. There is ECJ case law on this. This represents freedom of movement of the establishment (capital) over labour (people).

As each day goes by it looks as if Ursula is on the way to the revolving door into another plum job, as Michael spends more time on camera. Gone are the happy EU Jean-Claude days of perception of plenty.

Ah yes, I was being too charitable. I was making the assumption that you and others voted Leave because you thought it would make the place better over all, even if it personally cost you, and that WOULD have been altruism. Instead it turns out that you and your fellow Leave voters have f***ed the country not out of altruism but out of PRINCIPLE.

Yes, that's probably a sounder basis for debate.

You seem to have reverted to banging your fists on the table and shouting. In fact, I'm not sure that you ever stopped. Are you like this at work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back