advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

But we’re free to make trade deals that are better than those we had by being part of the EU…..

They saw how easily Australia pulled our pants down. The smell of desperation persists and others want a piece of it. Never mind, we can spend our “sovereignty” instead.

I have stumbled upon a Brexit Bonus. Apologies if this has already been mentioned but new Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman models will not be for sale in the EU from July because of data security issues with their software. These vehicles will still be able to be sold in the UK (and the rest of the world).

Only of interest to a small minority.

I don't subscribe to the FT. Is there any way of seeing the article or do I need to source info on same from another publication/outlet?
I can't tell you how to circumvent a paywall, because that's probably against the AUP and certainly the spirit of this site. However I can tell you that were you to Google for the subject, possibly even by googling the title of the article, you might find similar articles or even significant parts of the original that would allow you to understand it. If you know worra mean, guvnor? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh? Eh? He Asked Him Knowingly. Eh?

Another Brexit benefit:

https://www.ft.com/content/51f6afd3-9207-4c30-86f1-354e089d3081

UK car exports to Canada face 6% tariffs within days as trade spat deepens. Allies in stand-off on how much EU content can be in vehicles as post-Brexit deal runs out.

I don't subscribe to the FT. Is there any way of seeing the article or do I need to source info on same from another publication/outlet?

But we’re free to make trade deals that are better than those we had by being part of the EU…..

They saw how easily Australia pulled our pants down. The smell of desperation persists and others want a piece of it. Never mind, we can spend our “sovereignty” instead.

I can't tell you how to circumvent a paywall, because that's probably against the AUP and certainly the spirit of this site. However I can tell you that were you to Google for the subject, possibly even by googling the title of the article, you might find similar articles or even significant parts of the original that would allow you to understand it. If you know worra mean, guvnor? A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat, eh? Eh? He Asked Him Knowingly. Eh?

Thanks everyone! I have read the article.

Good news: it would appear that the Canadian market accounts for 1.3% of our exports at around £700m so not a massive market. Break out the English champagne equivalent.

Bad news: the UK government clearly thought that as the EU had a deal with Canada which (quite rightly IMHO) banned hormone-treated beef from reaching these shores we would piggyback on that; what Badenoch et al might refer to as a rollover deal from previous agreements. It would appear that Canada never liked that deal with the EU but swallowed it because of the size of the market on the other side of the ocean. Little old UK doesn't represent anything like the size of that market so looks like a chink in the armour we didn't bargain for. The trading block from which we celebrated our "freedom"... well, a thread with this title and over 4000 posts will have shaken off most of the EU-antagonists so I'm almost preaching to the converted so you know where this goes. Real world hits the illusion of sovereignty: the right to self-determine how politically isolated, culturally spurned and economically disasdvantaged we want to be. Crazy.

I really do recognise and am worried by/angry about the rise in racism but I can't associate it as directly with Brexit as you seem to.

The Leave campaign certainly used immigration as one of the major selling points for Brexit. Take back control... :rolleyes:

PYioLvu.jpeg

Absolutely. We are only arguing really about cause and effect.
Hmm. I think that what happened was that the underlying racism was always there but it was suppressed because it wasn't felt acceptable to say those things. Then Farage The Sh1t came along and did say the racist stuff, so if he can do it it must now be OK. So I think... Then everyone else who had been keeping quiet opened their mouths too and now it's OK to be racist, because we all are. Coming over here...
So cause and effect? I think that Brexit and the racist campaigning uncorked the bottle. As i've said earlier, you would have to have been living under a rock not to notice the huge amount of racism in the Leave campaign.

I have stumbled upon a Brexit Bonus. Apologies if this has already been mentioned but new Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman models will not be for sale in the EU from July because of data security issues with their software. These vehicles will still be able to be sold in the UK (and the rest of the world).

Only of interest to a small minority.
Exactly what are you seeing as a bonus here?

Exactly what are you seeing as a bonus here?
The UK gets to keep an undoubtedly nice car, the EU loses it. For a set of wrong reasons, but there you go. Equally there may be a cost in terms of your data security, but again there you go. Look, this is a bloody Brexit benefit you know, you have to take them where you find them!

Without the avoidable currency devaluation, not suffering the accelerated loss (OBR - est 4%) of productivity, stronger export and trade performance where meaningful agreements have been and continue to be replaced with shirt buttons - just for a start. Then there are the companies who have either closed or reduced capacity as their markets choose alternatives, the sharp fall in inward investment into the UK where even those already established have had to be bunged to remain. Additional costs, increased barriers to trade and reduced opportunities anywhere you look.
We discussed the currency at some length a few pages back, and we might add that theoretically a fall in the currency should have stimulated goods exports, though that clearly hasn't been the case, and that a greater or smaller proportion of this must be attributed to the increased friction in trade with the EU. The OBR states that potential productivity loss as compared with having stayed a member is likely to be in the region of 4% in the longer term. It also holds its position that leaving the EU will reduce UK trade by 15% compared with having stayed within the EU over the longer term, which I recall as having been 15 years, which would extrapolate UK GDP growth at twice the rate of both the EU and the Eurozone in 2023 had there been no brexit (and a full 2% faster than Germany, the UK's biggest EU trade partner), of which you can make what you will.

Exports of goods have suffered badly, down by over 13% since 2019, and imports by 7.4%. Counterintuitively the UK's exports to its non-EU partners have fallen more sharply than with the EU, which is holding steady. This would suggest that the UK's main trade partners outside the EU are suffering from the global downturn, though so too is Germany, which confuses the issue. The holding steady with the EU also suggests that brexit might not have had as sharp as expected an effect on exports to the bloc, though the TCA seems to have benefited larger corporations at the undoubted expense of SMEs. Trade openness figures are less optimistic still, with a fall of 3% below 2019 figures.

Services are booming, and appear to have brushed off brexit, with growth of 14% between 2019 and the end of 2023, faster than any of its main competitors including the US, and running at nearly 3% above the pre-brexit trend.

In regard of FDI, the UK is second only to France in Europe, and first in a number of value factors such as project size and employment created. Investment in the tech sector is also booming, with record figures in 2023. UK M&A figures are also currently hitting records.

I think we would all agree that the UK needs to seek better trading terms with the EU for manufactured goods than is currently the case. Openness of trade benefits all parties. The issue with this is that the EU is primarily a political project (which is what the UK rejected), and the EU institutions have shown repeatedly that they will always place project over prosperity. It will ultimately be incumbent upon the member countries to reassert their authority over the EU. Whilst there are plenty of signs that this is happening already in some areas, given the EU's traditional grim-faced determination and the fact that it has everything to lose, I am not wildly optimistic. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Let’s also consider the impact on imports, higher costs and reduced choice...
You said that already.

- which after April will also increase.
Indeed, the biosecurity issue.

None of it was necessary, all of it avoidable and it has achieved absolutely nothing of any benefit as this thread amply demonstrates.
More accurately the thread amply demonstrates that a small number of people on this forum have strongly-held opinions.

The vanity project of people with no concern for anything other than their own political or commercial benefit.
I think you would find that a lot of people voted against their best commercial interests. I am one.

On that last point you have repeated it many times, there is never a need to put those words in your mouth.
No, I have never said that anyone who thought that remaining in the EU was in Britain's best interests is automatically an adorer of all things EU, and to claim otherwise is putting words into my mouth.

I have a great deal of respect for the opinions of many people who voted for the UK to remain in the EU, particularly those whose informed opinion and instinct is broadly Eurosceptic. Most notable amongst them is the late Christopher Booker, who co-authored 'The Great Deception', and campaigned for years against the lies and excesses of the EU institutions, yet set out repeatedly and in detail how and why the UK would be making a terrible error in leaving the bloc in the manner in which it ultimately did. I have less respect for those who voted to remain, cannot accept the result of the referendum, blame everything that doesn't suit them on racism and the stupidity of the plebs, and who have absolutely no clue or even interest as to how the institutions of the EU work, yet brush off any criticism of the organisation, however valid and carefully researched, with the weasel words 'I never said the EU was perfect' invariably followed by 'but...'.

You didn't really answer my question, incidentally, rather rehearsed once again your objections to brexit based upon the economic summations of the OBR; having said, you are of course under no obligation to do so.

I doubt we’d have lost the Conservative Party to Trump-clone fascism and conspiracy theory,
I recall reading your rants on the Cameron government, and it sounded like the Conservative party was pretty thoroughly lost to you well before the wretched Trump came fully onto the scene. I don't know though. You may be right.

and there is no reason to suggest our economy wouldn’t have continued to track at the higher end of the EU members as it did previously.
Perhaps. It isn't even tracking at the lower end now, but there's an awful lot of variables floating about. Its a very different world now than it was then.

We’d still have an export business and younger folk with whole working lives ahead if them would have vastly more opportunities and hope for the future.
I have regrets in the matter of opportunities. I admit to thinking (and I said it here at the time) that there would be some kind of reasonable agreement on elements of freedom of movement, which was probably naive of me.

We’d still be environmentally responsible and connected to international human rights legislation.
We'd still be members of the CAP, which is one of the least environmentally responsible policies on the planet. We are still connected to international human rights legislation.

All Brexit has brought the UK is decline, division, and made the vile fringe politics of the 1970s National Front mainstream. It is impossible to view it as anything other than a failure.
My opinion on some of this is very different to yours, even though I am no admirer of the direction of travel of the Conservative party. It is notable that there has been a swing to the right across Europe and the US, but that only the UK had brexit.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back