advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

Looking at the state of the UK's finances, I can't help wondering when Westminster will decide to dump the ungrateful money sink called Northern Ireland. It must surely come. It has been well established that, if Brexit meant getting rid of NI, most Brexiteers would be perfectly happy. Scotland at least has oil and a base for the nuclear submarines, NI has, well, noisy, cantankerous troglodytes from another age. None of the UK major parliamentary parties are represented there and exporting there is a problem, which is why a lot of UK traders don't bother (when my brother wanted to buy a part for his Morgan from Somerset, the guy said he wouldn't sent it outside the UK!).

Of course, the mainland might then be flooded with a different kind of refugee - all those earnest Prods who couldn't face living in a united Ireland. Mid you, I hear the weather in Rwanda is nicer than that in Belfast...
A disturbing number of people in the mainland UK don't know the difference between NI and the Republic. It came as a considerable shock to a number of them post vote that the two parts of Ireland were going to have to be treated differently.

Tory logic:

"Jeremy Hunt is facing a backlash from senior Tories over his plans to copy the EU by introducing a Brexit carbon border tax.

The Chancellor will press ahead on Thursday with proposals to create a new green levy on swathes of goods being imported into Britain.

Extra duties will be applied to products such as steel, glass and ceramics if they come from countries with lower environmental standards.

Mr Hunt is being urged to stand firm by Conservatives who have warned that his plans will tie Britain into permanently following EU red tape.

Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg, a former business secretary, said the move amounted to a “stealth realignment” which would “undermine” Brexit

Lord Frost, the former Brexit negotiator, said he was “very worried” by the plans which will place “huge and unnecessary burdens on the British people”.

He said: “This is not taking back control – instead, the Government is choosing to give it up.

“It will cause damage to our economy by pushing up costs on significant imported goods. And it will affect our ability to do other trade deals around the world.

“It makes no sense to drive industry out of our country with a net zero policy that hugely pushes up energy costs, and then to pay again when we import the products which we used to make ourselves. That is the worst of all worlds.” (Telegraph).

Tory logic:

"Jeremy Hunt is facing a backlash from senior Tories over his plans to copy the EU by introducing a Brexit carbon border tax.

The Chancellor will press ahead on Thursday with proposals to create a new green levy on swathes of goods being imported into Britain.

Extra duties will be applied to products such as steel, glass and ceramics if they come from countries with lower environmental standards.

Mr Hunt is being urged to stand firm by Conservatives who have warned that his plans will tie Britain into permanently following EU red tape.

Sir Jacob Rees-Mogg, a former business secretary, said the move amounted to a “stealth realignment” which would “undermine” Brexit

Lord Frost, the former Brexit negotiator, said he was “very worried” by the plans which will place “huge and unnecessary burdens on the British people”.

He said: “This is not taking back control – instead, the Government is choosing to give it up.

“It will cause damage to our economy by pushing up costs on significant imported goods. And it will affect our ability to do other trade deals around the world.

“It makes no sense to drive industry out of our country with a net zero policy that hugely pushes up energy costs, and then to pay again when we import the products which we used to make ourselves. That is the worst of all worlds.” (Telegraph).

Great isn’t it? unelected former middle ranking F.O civil servant and booze salesman is issuing prescriptions for the British economy.

A post above made me check my calendar: was it really 2016?! Crikey, that means we are only 2 years away from, er, celebrating 10 years since our exit from the EU. Won't that provide an excellent opportunity to take stock. I suggest the phrase "give it more time" is made illegal and attracts severe penalties.

Can ET just watch this then put the word salad spinner out for the recycling and STFU?

I don't have any issues with that piece (except perhaps the brief remarks on the efficacy and usefulness of the EP), it's pretty well-balanced. And unlike you, I actually read Jeremy Warner's article.

I don't have any issues with that piece (except perhaps the brief remarks on the efficacy and usefulness of the EP), it's pretty well-balanced. And unlike you, I actually read Jeremy Warner's article.
I don't read the telegraph, or the mail, and I'm pretty sure you have denied doing so upthread, so interesting. Shame it took half a decade to convince you it is a shitshow, it will always be a shitshow, and from the frog-faced fascist farage's first spout it always promised to be a shitshow.
And as we've burnt our boats up shit creek, being paddleless is the least of our worries.

I don't read the telegraph, or the mail, and I'm pretty sure you have denied doing so upthread, so interesting. Shame it took half a decade to convince you it is a shitshow, it will always be a shitshow, and from the frog-faced fascist farage's first spout it always promised to be a shitshow.
And as we've burnt our boats up shit creek, being paddleless is the least of our worries.

I love the slightly threatening tone in your use of the word 'interesting', so suggestive of underhandedness and conspiracy on my part. What I've said (frequently) is that I take the DT, but I don't read the DM, which is anyway full of ghastly tittle-tattle and, as far as I'm aware, little else. For the record I also subscribe to Prospect Magazine, read the Guardian daily, and The Spectator, the FT and New Statesman when I can. Spiked is irritating (dare I say that Brendan O'Neil offers regular masterclasses in the art of labouring the point), but I'm sure you'll relish the fact that I've got a (currently unpaid) subscription to UnHerd.

Apart from the fact that I am, and have always been, perfectly well aware of the many negatives of brexit, I'm yet to be 'convinced' that leaving the EU will prove in the medium term to have been the wrong decision (let alone a 'shitshow'), even if the manner in which it was managed was appalling. I remain more anti-EU than I am pro-brexit, and indeed consider the fact that brexit happened at all to represent failure. I don't gaf about Farage. He's a deeply divisive personality, as effective politicians tend to be, and he's undeniably highly effective, though his discourse has little effect on my views. I've said all of this before.

Your characteristically florid narrative (if it could be called that) betrays the fact that you seem to belong to that particularly vociferous collective of impassioned EU prosletysers who know absolutely nothing about the nature and functions of the EU institutions that you evidently so love, and it follows that you are apparently entirely oblivious as to the relative political and economic turmoil across the Channel, so embroiled are you in your own incandescent fury and hatred about and of all things British. Suffice it to say that, however far we are up that creek, paddleless amongst the sorry wreckage of our burned boats, the EU, and much of the western world, are up there with us.

The Telegraph has sunk below even DM levels. I mean, some of it is berserk:

KeUdkLx.jpeg

The Telegraph is at the point it can only be improved if the Saudi, UAE tyrants/monarchs or whoever buy it. Even Al Qaeda would make it more balanced than it is now. It is pure InfoWars grade bullshit and conspiracy theory. It has knocked about 45 IQ points out of my father’s head over the past decade, though he still thinks Brexit was a mistake and voted against it.

I love the slightly threatening tone in your use of the word 'interesting', so suggestive of underhandedness and conspiracy on my part. What I've said (frequently) is that I take the DT, but I don't read the DM, which is anyway full of ghastly tittle-tattle and, as far as I'm aware, little else. For the record I also subscribe to Prospect Magazine, read the Guardian daily, and The Spectator, the FT and New Statesman when I can. Spiked is irritating (dare I say that Brendan O'Neil offers regular masterclasses in the art of labouring the point), but I'm sure you'll relish the fact that I've got a (currently unpaid) subscription to UnHerd.

Apart from the fact that I am, and have always been, perfectly well aware of the many negatives of brexit, I'm yet to be 'convinced' that leaving the EU will prove in the medium term to have been the wrong decision (let alone a 'shitshow'), even if the manner in which it was managed was appalling. I remain more anti-EU than I am pro-brexit, and indeed consider the fact that brexit happened at all to represent failure. I don't gaf about Farage. He's a deeply divisive personality, as effective politicians tend to be, and he's undeniably highly effective, though his discourse has little effect on my views. I've said all of this before.

Your characteristically florid narrative (if it could be called that) betrays the fact that you seem to belong to that particularly vociferous collective of impassioned EU prosletysers who know absolutely nothing about the nature and functions of the EU institutions that you evidently so love, and it follows that you are apparently entirely oblivious as to the relative political and economic turmoil across the Channel, so embroiled are you in your own incandescent fury and hatred about and of all things British. Suffice it to say that, however far we are up that creek, paddleless amongst the sorry wreckage of our burned boats, the EU, and much of the western world, are up there with us.

I wonder what he meant by "medium term": 5 years, 50 years, 250 years...?

Just a way of resolving the conflict of belief v what is actually happening. As evidence becomes clearer, the explanations get more tortuous but usually settle on distraction of the ‘oh look it’s bad over there’ type or ‘it’s too soon to tell’ nonsense. Conveniently ignoring the fact that regardless of what is happening anywhere else, the UK has significantly worsened it’s own position relative to where it would have been.

I love the I’m anti-EU more than pro Brexit line, that’s a gem. Oh and of course anyone who thought remaining within the EU was in the UK’s interests is automatically and adorer of all things EU.

advertisement

Back