advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

You have amazing insight, Steve, in that you seem to know an awful lot about tens of thousands of people you've never met, and never will. It must be down to those crystalline orbs possessed by that hardy band of pfm EUphiles.

You have amazing insight, Steve, in that you seem to know an awful lot about tens of thousands of people you've never met, and never will. It must be down to those crystalline orbs possessed by that hardy band of pfm EUphiles.
Yes, we forsaw it all, you didn't, end of. Gerroverit.

Us expats now get a vote again. I don't know why the press assumes we would vote Tory. Many are very angry at what Brexit has done to us.
And what about them forriners who came over here, married for love, got something called settled status (not even a nice plastic card) and are unable to vote in general elections?
There’s only three million of ‘em, so maybe that would skew the GE.

This is one thing that boils my piss.

It was in a reply to one of the Steves on Jan 4th. If you're that keen to see it, look it up or do a thread search. Please don't expect me to indulge you just to play your silly little schoolyard games.

A snide comment? Surely not. It was a genuine request.

I have a lot of dealings with Brits living abroad and most of the information is in the public domain. For someone who spends his time ever more desperately and gracelessly trying to stand up a stupid choice for the UK and pretending the consequences are somehow not there, you’d know a lot about insight.

Beggars belief that somebody who hasn't lived in the UK or paid tax in the UK for over fifteen years is allowed an important say in the lives and fabric of a place they no longer live.

This has the same effect of elevating the temperature of my stored waste fluid albeit below the normative threshold of steam production/fluid evaporation..

Beggars belief that somebody who hasn't lived in the UK or paid tax in the UK for over fifteen years is allowed an important say in the lives and fabric of a place they no longer live.

Take your point, but it depends on the residency. If they are living abroad a opposed to foreign residents CGT, Stamp Duty and Inheritance Tax certainly still apply to "ex-pats" and I believe it’s still the case that Self Assessment has to be submitted. UK residents certainly should have been allowed a vote on Brexit as it affected them more than most people in the UK, even though very many would have no doubt voted for it. Overheard many times "immigration is a problem back home” oh the irony.

To be fair, many have found out to their chagrin that the changes mean they are having to drag their arses back to Blighty every 90 days to preserve some UK income arrangements. To be fair to them, many say they wouldn't tick that option if they had the choice in future.

I don't pay income taxes in the UK, but am exposed to inheritance taxes and taxes on my UK pension SIPP. I also have to pay a fortune for passport renewal. Meanwhile I don't cost the UK system a penny for health, policing etc.
The Brits out here are better educated and more cosmopolitan than many back home, but unlike the 60s and 70s exodus of white Brits to Australia, not so racist.

I have a lot of dealings with Brits living abroad and most of the information is in the public domain. For someone who spends his time ever more desperately and gracelessly trying to stand up a stupid choice for the UK and pretending the consequences are somehow not there, you’d know a lot about insight.
I’ve encountered a number of expats, enraged that Blighty is no longer the land of Enid Blyton and the want it to go back to the illusory land of their childhood, without all those pesky immigrants and their ethnic habits. The irony of their position utterly lost on them.

I don't pay income taxes in the UK, but am exposed to inheritance taxes and taxes on my UK pension SIPP. I also have to pay a fortune for passport renewa
I guess you don't pay UK VAT on the goods and services you receive as you don't consume them here. Regarding IHT then the money owed to the government is taken from the deceased's estate who I presume in your case means they live/will die in the UK so it's their exposure rather than yours. In light of that do you still think it reasonable to expect a vote in the UK? If I had moved to the Algarve for example I wouldn't personally feel entitled to participate in the electoral process in the UK.

Take back…the Great British Smog

More a consequence of having a Tory government who prioritise business making money over the environment. If we had voted in the Green Party for example then our environmental laws could be stricter than the EUs. So accountability has gone up, no?

More a consequence of having a Tory government who prioritise business making money over the environment. If we had voted in the Green Party for example then our environmental laws could be stricter than the EUs. So accountability has gone up, no?

How do you go about making dumb voters accountable for the mess we're in?

I don't pay income taxes in the UK, but am exposed to inheritance taxes and taxes on my UK pension SIPP. I also have to pay a fortune for passport renewal. Meanwhile I don't cost the UK system a penny for health, policing etc.
The Brits out here are better educated and more cosmopolitan than many back home, but unlike the 60s and 70s exodus of white Brits to Australia, not so racist.

Assets in the UK are taxed. ISAs help.

advertisement

Back