advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

Y'know its almost like there wasn't a plan or any foresight in this Brexit process.*
Imagine having voted for it...

*I use the word "process" highly inaccurately.
Oh, there was a plan. It worked brilliantly, for the architects of the process. They have the next 50 years to realise the benefits to themselves, don't you remember him saying? The rest of us? Well, that's 50 years hence. Nobody that voted for it will still be around by then.
As the pub landlord in Hull said to me last summer: "We were sold a pup. They lied to us. I'll never trust them again." Well, maybe not, my friend , but you certainly voted for it. Now you're going to get it.

Heres why it's a Brexit problem. You know this, natch, but you're playing the usual disingenuous schtick.
Chicken out of Poland (sometimes) contains Salmonella Enteriditis and S. Typhimurium. This is a common industry problem. These organisms are harmful. EU law says it's an offence to trade chicken containing these pathogens. They can't be sold there. Until Brexit the UK was covered by EU regs. Now of course we are free from the shackles of EU law, however we haven't get got round to writing our own laws post Brexit. Quote from the UK Food Standard s Agency "The forthcoming laws will protect the UK consumer and maintain the high food standards expected in the UK" . Sadly these laws have yet to be written. Oops.
So pre Brexit, we had laws stopping this. Members of the EU still do, but we've left. Post Brexit, well we had written it, but the dog are it. Big boys came and took it. I left it on the bus.

Interesting. It appears to be the case that the exporter in question, SuperDrob, is sourcing chicken from farms that practice 'preventative' use of antimacrobials of a group which is 'human-critical'. This practice leads to resistant strains of bacteria, particularly but not exclusively E-Coli. Antibiotic resistance is considered to be one of the greatest threats to human health by the WHO and the UN, and all regulatory bodies, including the EU and the FSA, are committed to reducing the use of preventative antimacrobials in the food supply chain.

It appears that issues with this supplier go back at least as far as 2012, and that there were outbreaks of infection both in the UK and across the EU in 2018 and 2020.

You seem to be insinuating in your post that the Polish supplier is not bound by EU production regulations and standards in the case of meat sold for export to third countries, only for that which is destined for EU markets. This is patently untrue, both because they have been supplying the EU market with superbug-infected products, and because factories are bound by EU production regs period. EU standards are committed to a progressive reduction, and I can't establish that the firm has actually broken EU regs, as it claims that it's suppliers are abiding by them, though samples of resistant bacteria have been found in bedding by the FSA as recently as late 2023.

It seems logical to me that the various food standards and the regulatory agencies as well as the supermarkets continue, as they are now, to work together to deal with this issue and to ensure that the supply chain complies with the highest standards from end-to-end. I can see no necessity for there to be checks at the borders - in fact this would be madness, as it would be impossible to test a container load of frozen chicken products in anything remotely related to a timely or effective fashion, and the product would anyway be rendered unsaleable. It is entirely a regulatory and supply-chain issue. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit.

I understand that some standards, particularly in the case of eggs, are higher in the UK than the EU. Buy British.

If you want to buy frozen processed raw chicken products from Asda, Lidl or Iceland, well, good luck to you, but I feel quite certain that those companies are going to go all out to ensure that their reputations don't become ensnared by superbug infected products.

High food standards to not require a quasi-empire. They require sensible and informed regulation across the food supply chain.

Dad-s-Army-Unexpected-flashback-secret-of-BBC-series-exposed-3918111.jpg

You've linked to a photo from a much loved and popular television series from the 1970s, one that gently and very accurately caricaturised many aspects of the British personality.

You obviously thought it through, so what's the relevance to salmonella and e-coli infected chicken?

Last edited:
You could have had your chicken from New Jersey, preserved in Trump’s swimming pool reflush if only Boris and Frosty had played their cards right with The Caucus on The Hill.

You've linked to a photo from a much loved and popular television series from the 1970s, one that gently and very accurately caricaturised many aspects of the British personality.

You obviously thought it through, so what's the relevance to salmonella and e-coli infected chicken?
That’s just the point, I didn’t think it through. When I read your long posts, I have images pop into my head, and that was one of them. Call it a forum post Rorschach test, but there we are. I was also reminded of the I’m Backing Britain campaign in the 60s, which of course were the salad days before the evil empire.

Sorry about the long posts, Nero. Sometimes it's just difficult to make them short. It's probably an EU thing. The Aquis Communitaire, the basis of all EU law, is 90,000 pages long, after all.

Sorry about the long posts, Nero. Sometimes it's just difficult to make them short. It's probably an EU thing. The Aquis Communitaire, the basis of all EU law, is 90,000 pages long, after all.
Slightly longer than the UK tax code, which was widely reported to be around 17,000 pages in 2015. No reason to suspect it's got any shorter since then.

And then you've got all the other laws 'n shit. My guess is, we're not so very far off that number just by ourselves. And that's before you add in the Common Law stuff.

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone - perhaps apart from tax consultants - who would disagree with you on the length of the tax code, Steve.

On Constitutional issues, written or otherwise, the UK is an ancient collection of nations and kingdoms that has evolved over hundreds of years. The EU is an artifice, a fabrication that has been constructed over the last 70. The sum of Common Law is undoubtedly very considerable, but at least it serves some kind of useful purpose, in amongst which are enshrined habeas corpus, and the rights of our peoples to hire and sanction the those who raise and spend those taxes, and who create the laws by which we are compelled to abide.

I think you'll be hard pushed to find anyone - perhaps apart from tax consultants - who would disagree with you on the length of the tax code, Steve.

On Constitutional issues, written or otherwise, the UK is an ancient collection of nations and kingdoms that has evolved over hundreds of years. The EU is an artifice, a fabrication that has been constructed over the last 70. The sum of Common Law is undoubtedly very considerable, but at least it serves some kind of useful purpose, in amongst which are enshrined habeas corpus, and the rights of our peoples to hire and sanction the those who raise and spend those taxes, and who create the laws by which we are compelled to abide.

Amazing how well they are doing after just 70 years - and ahead of us with all our history and exceptionalism.

All true. I would have thought that the romantic in you would agree that there's nothing wrong with a bit of art (or even artifice) now and then. More seriously, what's wrong with fabricating new structures when needed? The EU is a newfangled construction, definitely work-in-progress, but it serves many useful purposes, as we've argued before:
  • It drafts, agrees and administers common rules for a single market where people, goods and services can move, work and live reasonably freely
  • It negotiates and enforces FTAs with trade partners wanting to sell into this SM
  • It generally provides member states with some added clout in a world increasingly dominated by superpowers
  • and deals with the occasional member that wants to re-negotiate or leave.
The existing organization has come a long way. Most members think it does a useful job for a reasonable budget. If it didn't exist, somebody would certainly have to invent it.

Amazing how well they are doing after just 70 years - and ahead of us with all our history and exceptionalism.
The Brexit/MEGA crowd seem to have gone a bit quiet on the downfall of the EU after widely predicting that others would follow the Pied Piper Boris and exit the Union. In fact some UK Govt Ministers and MPs were calling for the EU’s destruction and Turnip Island having an active role in it, which rather gave the game away. This wasn’t about simply leaving, it was a declaration of political war. But with this abject clown at the head of the expeditionary force, few were taking it seriously:

DoEG0ry.jpg

The Brexit/MEGA crowd seem to have gone a bit quiet on the downfall of the EU after widely predicting that others would follow the Pied Piper Boris and exit the Union. In fact some UK Govt Ministers and MPs were calling for the EU’s destruction and Turnip Island having an active role in it, which rather gave the game away. This wasn’t about simply leaving, it was a declaration of political war. But with this abject clown at the head of the expeditionary force, few were taking it seriously:

DoEG0ry.jpg

The collapse of the EU. Ah, yes. Obviously Ukraine and Moldova et al missed the memo. Italy ignored it. But the Bad Boys of Brexit now have a new target - the Tories. Let's hope they are more successful.

On the subject of accountability and democratic deficit:

Constituency boundary changes give Keir Starmer a tougher route to Number 10 - find out why with our swingometer​

A re-drawing of UK constituencies means the Tories start the next contest with more seats and a bigger advantage over all other parties.
https://news.sky.com/story/constitu...10-find-out-why-with-our-swingometer-13044055

Grave matters such as constitution (if there were one) or constituency boundary changes or referendums should require 2/3s majorities.

On the subject of accountability and democratic deficit....

... Grave matters such as constitution (if there were one) or constituency boundary changes or referendums should require 2/3s majorities.

If that were the case, there would have been absolutely zero chance of either Maastricht or Lisbon ever having been ratified, therefore no EU.

Forgive me for slightly co-opting your point which, whilst a perfectly good one, has nothing to do with Brexit. But the hypocrisy is fairly standard - democracy is fine, so long as it gives me what I want.

If that were the case, there would have been absolutely zero chance of either Maastricht or Lisbon ever having been ratified, therefore no EU.

Forgive me for slightly co-opting your point which, whilst a perfectly good one, has nothing to do with Brexit. But the hypocrisy is fairly standard - democracy is fine, so long as it gives me what I want.
Yet for all your righteousness we’ve had several unelected bureaucrats governing the realm and a lot of unaccountability.

Now try arguing how much better the UK government is than the EU’s

@eternumviti in all your eloquence could you list aspects of British life which have been harmed by the UK membership of the EU? Practical things that affect the lives of citizens, environment, labour, justice, health, transparency in the finance world, not the usual tired rants about sovereignty.

advertisement

Back