advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

Big Bregrets

FntNnBhXEAAn-_w

The principle holdouts all on the eastern seaboard of England. Showing Brexit’s rage face to the continent, Clacton about to explode. If Farage stood there at the GE, it could be 8th lucky for the dirty ol’ fascist.

UK expected to be only major economy to shrink in 2023 - IMF

The UK economy will shrink and perform worse than other advanced economies, including Russia, as the cost of living continues to hit households, the International Monetary Fund has said.

The IMF said the economy will contract by 0.6% in 2023, rather than grow slightly as previously predicted.

So we are predicted to have a worse economic performance than Russia. Well done Brexiteers!

The British are tired of experts, or something like that.

Singapore on Thames is not happening and Guy is upset (though not wrong):

Guy Hands, a leading City figure, has called Brexit a “complete disaster” and a “bunch of total lies” that has harmed large parts of the economy.

Speaking on the third anniversary of the UK’s departure from the EU, Hands, the founder, chair and chief investment officer of the private equity firm Terra Firma, said: “It’s been a complete disaster. The reality is it’s been a lose-lose situation for us and Europe. Europe has lost more [in financial services] but we’ve lost as well. And the reality of Brexit was, it was just was a bunch of complete and total lies.

“The only way that the Brexit put forward by Boris Johnson was going to work was if there was a complete deregulation of the UK and we moved to a sort of Liz Truss utopia of a Singapore state and that was just never going to happen,” Hands, a former donor to the Conservative party, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...lies-tory-billionaire-guy-hands-uk-eu-economy

Some interesting polling here:

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/two-years-on-why-have-some-leave-voters-lost-faith-in-brexit/

Singapore on Thames is not happening and Guy is upset (though not wrong):

Guy Hands, a leading City figure, has called Brexit a “complete disaster” and a “bunch of total lies” that has harmed large parts of the economy.

Speaking on the third anniversary of the UK’s departure from the EU, Hands, the founder, chair and chief investment officer of the private equity firm Terra Firma, said: “It’s been a complete disaster. The reality is it’s been a lose-lose situation for us and Europe. Europe has lost more [in financial services] but we’ve lost as well. And the reality of Brexit was, it was just was a bunch of complete and total lies.

t/
Well blow me, who knew?

Yes, but Aitken was something of an outlier back then. These days, that seems to be the standard operating model.

Well, there was Jeffery Archer too and for the same crimes as Aitken. These two were actually put behind bars. I am not aware of any cabinet ministers from the Cameron/May/Johnson/Truss/Sunak era to be imprisoned yet….although Gove for dancing and Moane could be contenders.

Does the average UK voter realise what Singapore is really like?
Only 1 in 10 allowed to own a car, limited state benefits, so the cleaners in the airport are pensioners surviving.

The average UK voter isn't concerned with Singapore on Thames.

Current Brexit reality stats: rejoin 63%, stay out 37% (Twitter).

PS Both heads of the Westminster beast still out of touch and intent on digging the UK’s decline on the world stage even further.

Ironically, if Labour offered a referendum on rejoining, as they offered a second referendum on leaving in 2019, there is a list of pfm members who would not vote for it. I also reckon if Labour committed to just rejoining without a referendum there are some ( here ) who would not vote for it.

Wotever. Without fundamental change you can vote as many times as you want but we don’t want the UK in the EU. We’ve had so many insults, it’s enough.

Well, I know that Brexit is to blame for most of the ills of the world, but I see that, according to my favourite gap-toothed federalist fanatic ex-Belgian pm, Brexit is even to blame for Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

Fairly sure that Guy was having a bit of a wind-up there, given that he would know the normal leanings of that particular LBC presenter and his audience.

Having said that maybe Vlad was a little emboldened in his actions, confident as he probably was that Bozo and likely other members of the government / establishment could be compromised or otherwise financially in the bag. He might have thought the UK would not go in quite so hard against Russian-linked interests, or possibly would use our independence to distance ourselves from the European response.

But I don't really think that's likely. More chance GV was just trying to make the currently tub-thumping Johnson look even more of a berk than he normally manages by himself.

advertisement

Back