advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

I've set my case out a thousand times. That problem that we have lies in the clear and obvious fact that you don't recognise my case as having any validity, as notions such as 'democracy', 'sovereignty' and national borders have no meaning to you. That's fine, but as I said upstream, we'll have to agree to differ.

He probably gets bored with these straw men. Our democracy was not lost, it's been at more risk since 2016 than ever.

While you obsess about sovereignty over things that really do not provide tangible benefits, our country gets poorer and standards of living are on the slide. All of this with no actual plan or idea from people like yourself as to how these enormous gaps in trade and inward investment will be filled. Self inflicted damage is far more frustrating and bound to raise temperatures more than the usual challenges.

Ah yes, democracy. Just like the beloved House of Lords. Still, if we don't like them, we can vote them out. Just like I got a vote for Rishi.

The ironic thing about the unelected HoL is that it is largely composed of remainers who have done everything the their (limited) power to stymie brexit ever since 2016. They are your friends.

The other irony, of course, is that they are as unelected as the European Commission, but have far less power.

Last edited:
Ah yes, democracy. Just like the beloved House of Lords. Still, if we don't like them, we can vote them out. Just like I got a vote for Rishi.
It’s rumoured that the Johnson honours list runs to 100. He will stuff the HoL with far right ERG MPs and cronies who helped him gerritdun.

Yes, the current government is terrible. The administrations shaped and led by Truss and Bozo in particular are the two worst I can recall.

Given that every brexit 'freedom' so far has led to a negative for the UK citizenry or businesses, and that this looks set to continue with the REUL bill and any other forthcoming legislation for the next c. 2 years, could you perhaps clarify what the positives of such deregulation are? Real world examples would be good, not paper sovereignty arguments again.

The bonfire in haste of EU laws sitting on the British statute book really does look like a dirty bomb on a timer- it’ll make realignment when the time comes to join the single market a hard long road. I suspect this government is going to plant a hell of a lot more booby traps on the way out.

The fact that Brexit fan-boy Jacob Tree-Frog (as Nick Harper calls him) was given a whole department and a Minister post for "Brexit Opportunities" under Bojo and failed to show a single realisable benefit then, and now with the department and post now deleted from the current government, tells you all you need to know.

The REUL bonfire won't have any positive effect either. We still have to abide by EU regulations for export there and in a global marketplace, manufacturers will want a common set of rules to avoid bespoke product versions for each country they sell into

The fact that Brexit fan-boy Jacob Tree-Frog (as Nick Harper calls him) was given a whole department and a Minister post for "Brexit Opportunities" under Bojo and failed to show a single realisable benefit then, and now with the department and post now deleted from the current government, tells you all you need to know.

The REUL bonfire won't have any positive effect either. We still have to abide by EU regulations for export there and in a global marketplace, manufacturers will want a common set of rules to avoid bespoke product versions for each country they sell into
Nice ministerial salary, chauffeur driven car, pay-off and a ministerial pension. Not bad for no output and they wonder why we have a productivity crisis.

The ironic thing about the elected HoL is that it is largely composed of remainers who have done everything the their (limited) power to stymie brexit ever since 2016. They are your friends.

The other irony, of course, is that they are as unelected as the European Commission, but have far less power.
Sure they did. Stopping Boris from breaking any more laws in a quest to gerritdun? Boo. Shame.

Some encouraging news. Public opinion is shifting fast against Brexit. Here’s some analysis from Politics Phil.

Brexit- Don’t Fear the Reaper

The Brexit shoe is about to drop. Sequential polling is now reliably indicating Bregret. A deeper dig into the numbers does show a realisation among Brexit voters that they made a mistake but fascinatingly, the Brexit die-off is now showing its presence.

The old Gerritdun strata are disappearing into eternity, replaced by new voters not old enough to have voted in Dave’s referendum. The latter phenomenon creates more of a cliff- any febrile swings in brexit opinion will be swamped by its effect.

Now this leads to some interesting political problems. I think it’s fair to say the Tories will be in the wilderness for years, so how can Sirkeer persist with his No No No strategy and hope to win a second term? My guess is he’s not that stupid, he just has to play a waiting game.

Yes it’s a waiting game. I think the strategy is to move towards regulatory alignment and open up EU trade again, sector by sector. So a shift towards Brexit in name only.

Brexit- Don’t Fear the Reaper

The Brexit shoe is about to drop. Sequential polling is now reliably indicating Bregret. A deeper dig into the numbers does show a realisation among Brexit voters that they made a mistake but fascinatingly, the Brexit die-off is now showing its presence.

The old Gerritdun strata are disappearing into eternity, replaced by new voters not old enough to have voted in Dave’s referendum. The latter phenomenon creates more of a cliff- any febrile swings in brexit opinion will be swamped by its effect.

Now this leads to some interesting political problems. I think it’s fair to say the Tories will be in the wilderness for years, so how can Sirkeer persist with his No No No strategy and hope to win a second term? My guess is he’s not that stupid, he just has to play a waiting game.

It’s very unlikely we will rejoin the EU within a couple of generations. The EU will see to that by insisting the UK adopt the Euro, along with other conditions a majority will not support.

What a shame they made it into govt in the first place in 2010 after a great job by Labour since ‘97, made worse by it happening again in 2015 when the referendum was in their manifesto, then again in 2017 and 2019. Small minded thinking played a large part, imo.

...or maybe the have hindsight issues.

owp3mhg.png

advertisement

Back