advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ireland’s medical & pharmaceutical manufacturing export sector alone dwarfs the UK’s which is remarkable for a population only 7% the size of the U.K.
Adapting to Brexit, it is now bypassing Britain by shipping to the other EU26 states by direct sea routes and is now importing less in general from the U.K. than it used to, specifically owing to red tape/ customs friction.

The EU has been great for Ireland and demonstrates how small, progressive nations can benefit from membership. We look on enviously from Scotland and look forward to getting back.

Fact. And also it could do exactly the same for the UK in a range of different areas if it was openly embraced. Sterling should have been ditched also. But alas harking back to the days of the empire and how good it was conquers sensible decision making.
All the wasted effort and time on Brexit creating an extra barrier, impediment and hassle for the UK. Things are going to be tough enough for all of Europe but the UK have the extra monkey on it's back.

Being part of something larger for common good offends the English sense of significance far more. The tediously truculent "do you know who we are" attitude is something I bet the EU doesn't miss.
I voted Remain, thought at the time that Leaving was a stupid idea, and still do.

However, the idea that the EU is the land of milk and honey, built on the principles of the common good is for the birds.

Let’s not forget that the EU was pushing for a trade deal with the US that would’ve enabled US health inroads into the NHS. Greece is set for another round of privatisation as part of it’s bail out.

The EU is part of the same Neoliberal economic model where prosperity benefits the few at the expense of the many that infects the UK and the US, and while I would accept that the UK is far worse than anywhere in Europe, it’s a difference of degree rather than substance.

The EU might be a shinier, newer model, but it comes out of the same mould as the UK

I voted Remain, thought at the time that Leaving was a stupid idea, and still do.

However, the idea that the EU is the land of milk and honey, built on the principles of the common good is for the birds.

Let’s not forget that the EU was pushing for a trade deal with the US that would’ve enabled US health inroads into the NHS. Greece is set for another round of privatisation as part of it’s bail out.

The EU is part of the same Neoliberal economic model where prosperity benefits the few at the expense of the many that infects the UK and the US, and while I would accept that the UK is far worse than anywhere in Europe, it’s a difference of degree rather than substance.

The EU might be a shinier, newer model, but it comes out of the same mould as the UK
I'm with you on that except the word far. I live in France and work in Germany. Both are maginally better than UK, neither are far better. When you do the balanced scorecard, UK wins points on several things that are important to me. I'd be willing to bet there are some countries in the EU that are worse, perhaps even far worse than UK. E.g, as a partially successful 'entrepeneur', I look to UK with envy regarding how easy it is to get your business going.

Where does this milk and honey stuff come from? I expect this sort of crap from ET but not you.

The question before us was whether the UK should remain a member of the EU, or leave the EU? No milk and honey promises about the status quo just a load of baloney about how the UK was somehow being held back by being members, a simple choice. Leaving was indeed a stupid idea, a flounce. We are now seeing the same over the ECHR one of the few positive contributions we made to European co-operation FFS. Can't get our own way on an issue, junk the whole thing. Pathetic really.

Being part of something larger for common good offends the English sense of significance far more. The tediously truculent "do you know who we are" attitude is something I bet the EU doesn't miss.

I wonder how much of the "English entitlement" is real and how much of it is just rhetoric for the nationalist pensioner and hooligan crowd.

Perhaps it's nothing more than feeding the Party's donors, and Tories use this cråp to convince themselves that they're doing it for the greater good...

I wonder how much of the "English entitlement" is real and how much of it is just rethoric for the nationalist pensioner and hooligan crowd.

Perhaps it's nothing more that feeding the Party's donors, and Tories use this cråp to convince themselves that they're doing it for the greater good...

There is far more of the "two world wars and one world cup" mentality than will ever be admitted. Kristian Jensen as Danish Finance Minister hit on an uncomfortable truth during the Brexit campaign. "There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.”

It doesn't matter what imperial history a nation once had, it's where they are now that counts. This country constantly has to hark back (usually to WW2) for a sense of superiority, the nostalgia gets more toe-curling as our influence and significance reduces and those celebrating it had no part.

It's all gone a bit angry culture war here hasn't it - foreigners, elites, Brussels!, uncaring Remainers, rich people, smugness, EU Jedi mind tricks, etc. And we get a repeat of the false flag narrative that Remainers blindly following the wonderful Ursula and her team etc (I'm not happy that she can't speak Latin btw). You seem to constantly exaggerate the threat posed by the EU whatever you think it may be (Putin is similarly afflicted despite his 'warm words' on Ukraine's application). It's almost as if you think the EU is a threat to your very existence/survival. What is the actual objective threat here? And what are your thoughts on austerity, job losses, despair, suicides, insolvencies and the homeless in this country?

PS Debt doesn't matter. The MMT crowd say so.

Divide and conquer.

The 0.1% divert the attention of the 99.9% by setting them against each other. Brexit vs Remain, White vs Brown, poor vs middle class. While this is going on the 0.1% and their political enablers quietly carry on embezzling the wealth of the nation. Brexit voters have been their useful idiots.

There is far more of the "two world wars and one world cup" mentality than will ever be admitted. Kristian Jensen as Danish Finance Minister hit on an uncomfortable truth during the Brexit campaign. "There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.”

It doesn't matter what imperial history a nation once had, it's where they are now that counts. This country constantly has to hark back for a sense of superiority, the nostalgia gets more toe-curling as our influence and significance reduces.

"There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.”

Wow, that really is a load of shit! Eg Germany is a country that just by population ranks 19th out of 235 here: https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

Then we move onto its economy.....

"There are two kinds of European nations. There are small nations and there are countries that have not yet realised they are small nations.”

Wow, that really is a load of shit!

Only to those with an inflated sense of their significance.

Sorry the quote therefore makes no sense. 'European' excludes Germany?

Germany wasn't the country giving it the "do you know who we are?" during the negotiations Jensen was referring to. Also, they certainly do not have the post-imperial hangover that holds the UK back.

Germany wasn't the country giving it the "do you know who we are?" during the negotiations Jensen was referring to. Also, they certainly do not have the post-imperial hangover that holds the UK back.
Listen, the quote is bollocks, you know it is. The word European obvs needs to be removed to justify your point. You're snookered here if that's how you interpret the quote, completely ignoring the use of the word European.... in fact if that is how you feel, then the quote perhaps should have read something like 'British people need to realise they are knack-all in the grand scheme of things'.

He would have been right of course, but that has nowt to do with Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back