advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most leave voters and Brexiteers still don’t fully understand (or accept) the consequences of their decision.

Lucky you. You have clearly avoided places like builders ' yards and old engineering, in fact I think that to this day brass comes in inch diam eter and metre lengths, it's impossible to avoid. The pitch of all (pedal) bike chains, for example, is 25.4mm. Eh? Why 25.4mm? Because 25.4mm = 1.0" .

Plus, our American cousins use inches, feet, etc. This can cause much difficulty in my professional life (MechEng). Drawings have to be converted, which is very risky and requires great care. Tolerances are different; indeed we have to stock inch series as well as metric series for many items. Then there's the different Metric series tolerances!

Precisely, but it cuts both ways; the main reason that metric is now more "understandable" is that it has been taught in schools for over 50 years.
No, tens are easier in science and engineering. Turn it into standard form and then just add or subtract power factors. You can't do that in Base 12. Go from thou to 16ths. Convert density in lbs per cu if foot to oz per cu in, then how much does a lorry weigh? I can do these in my sleep with the metric system, because you just count zeros.

No, tens are easier in science and engineering. Turn it into standard form and then just add or subtract power factors. You can't do that in Base 12.
You'd be using powers of 12 as multipliers, obviously. Base 10 really is an arbitrary choice.

Since I was a youngster, there has been no getting away from the dual system used here in the US. Yes, officially we are still using Imperial measurement, but most of what’s imported today is metric. For a long time, it has been impossible to maintain purchases without having both imperial and metric wrenches, sockets and so on.

Never mind imperial weights and measures, it's temperatures in Fahrenheit that fox me, and I'm 70( ish) so must have grown up with it, but now have no conception of whether, say, 50 degs Fahrenheit is hot/cold or what it feels like. I have to do a quick mental conversion to Kelvin.

58 yr old Canuckistani.
Learned both in school.

What always got me was wheel and tire sizing.

Rim width in inches
Rim offset/backspacing in mm
Rim diameter in inches.
Rim bolt circle in mm

Tread width in mm
Sidewall aspect a percentage of tread width
Size in inches
Tread depth in 32nds of an inch
weight in pounds.

They eat their own lies.

ndFjVE1.jpg

Never mind imperial weights and measures, it's temperatures in Fahrenheit that fox me, and I'm 70( ish) so must have grown up with it, but now have no conception of whether, say, 50 degs Fahrenheit is hot/cold or what it feels like. I have to do a quick mental conversion to Kelvin.
Celsius surely? It would make the forecasts more lively though. Today it will be 279K so wrap up warm

Email from Stay European:

Happy new year! Brexit just got worse, again... but on the bright side, Rejoin just got one year closer.

As we look back on the first year of Brexit, a year of shortages and economic damage, what's important to realise is that Brexit has still only just begun.

2022: Even more new rules

Brexit has become a byword for shortages and delays – but almost every problem we have seen so far was caused by a lack of staff such as lorry drivers, not an actual shortage of food, for example.

Now, under long-delayed new import rules that finally came into effect at the start of the new year, food and drink from the EU face a new mountain of Brexit red tape.

The UK imports most of its food, and even more so in the winter months.

Previous rounds of Brexit nonsense have so far mainly affected UK-based exporters. These UK companies have generally either moved (or part-moved) their operations to the EU, stopped exporting, or gone bankrupt.

But the new import rules are supposed to be followed by food producers all over the EU if they want to bring food into the UK, even if they know little about Brexit and care even less. Refrigerated and frozen food groups are sounding the alarm, but being ignored as usual.

We will soon see whether EU food producers can be bothered with the huge expense and uncertainty of selling to one country that thinks it is special. And this likely drop-off in imports will come at a time when already 56% of people in Britain say they have direct experience of food shortages in recent weeks.

Brexit is going to get worse before it gets better.

5a6885ad-7948-e8a3-7fc8-3f24802d0529.jpg

But there is hope...

As we have mentioned in previous messages, the latest polling shows that a 53% majority of the British public now support Rejoin. (This is still so often forgotten in discussions of Brexit that it's worth saying it every chance you get!)

More recently, the Tories have been falling in the polls, as all sorts of issues – from corruption to lockdown-breaking Christmas parties – catch up with them.

British politics still exists in a topsy-turvy world where the obvious is rarely said. Brexit is a disaster – all downside and no upside. The Tory government is a Brexit government, and the Brexit culture of lying and corruption permeates it from top to bottom.

We stand by our position: getting the Tories out is a precondition for reversing Brexit. And our assessment is that the next election is now very winnable for anti-Tory forces, especially if we can promote tactical voting and wider alliances. With a general election widely thought to be coming as soon as the first half of 2023, that must be a crucial part of our project for this new year.

Standing up to Farage

If you're still in need of a little new year hope...

You may remember that a few months ago, Nigel Farage decided to attack RNLI lifeboats as "a taxi service for illegal immigration".

Now the RNLI has announced that, because of the backlash to Farage's comments, it has had the best fundraising year in its nearly 200-year history.

It may not always feel like it, but remember: most people do not support Farage and friends. We are the majority.

Become a full member of Stay European today to be part of the campaign that will never give up until we rejoin the EU:
Join Stay European

Email from Stay European:

Happy new year! Brexit just got worse, again... but on the bright side, Rejoin just got one year closer.

As we look back on the first year of Brexit, a year of shortages and economic damage, what's important to realise is that Brexit has still only just begun.

2022: Even more new rules

Brexit has become a byword for shortages and delays – but almost every problem we have seen so far was caused by a lack of staff such as lorry drivers, not an actual shortage of food, for example.

Now, under long-delayed new import rules that finally came into effect at the start of the new year, food and drink from the EU face a new mountain of Brexit red tape.

The UK imports most of its food, and even more so in the winter months.

Previous rounds of Brexit nonsense have so far mainly affected UK-based exporters. These UK companies have generally either moved (or part-moved) their operations to the EU, stopped exporting, or gone bankrupt.

But the new import rules are supposed to be followed by food producers all over the EU if they want to bring food into the UK, even if they know little about Brexit and care even less. Refrigerated and frozen food groups are sounding the alarm, but being ignored as usual.

We will soon see whether EU food producers can be bothered with the huge expense and uncertainty of selling to one country that thinks it is special. And this likely drop-off in imports will come at a time when already 56% of people in Britain say they have direct experience of food shortages in recent weeks.

Brexit is going to get worse before it gets better.

5a6885ad-7948-e8a3-7fc8-3f24802d0529.jpg

But there is hope...

As we have mentioned in previous messages, the latest polling shows that a 53% majority of the British public now support Rejoin. (This is still so often forgotten in discussions of Brexit that it's worth saying it every chance you get!)

More recently, the Tories have been falling in the polls, as all sorts of issues – from corruption to lockdown-breaking Christmas parties – catch up with them.

British politics still exists in a topsy-turvy world where the obvious is rarely said. Brexit is a disaster – all downside and no upside. The Tory government is a Brexit government, and the Brexit culture of lying and corruption permeates it from top to bottom.

We stand by our position: getting the Tories out is a precondition for reversing Brexit. And our assessment is that the next election is now very winnable for anti-Tory forces, especially if we can promote tactical voting and wider alliances. With a general election widely thought to be coming as soon as the first half of 2023, that must be a crucial part of our project for this new year.

Standing up to Farage

If you're still in need of a little new year hope...

You may remember that a few months ago, Nigel Farage decided to attack RNLI lifeboats as "a taxi service for illegal immigration".

Now the RNLI has announced that, because of the backlash to Farage's comments, it has had the best fundraising year in its nearly 200-year history.

It may not always feel like it, but remember: most people do not support Farage and friends. We are the majority.

Become a full member of Stay European today to be part of the campaign that will never give up until we rejoin the EU:
Join Stay European

The question is, would the EU want us back in after the behaviour of the Tories?

The question is, would the EU want us back in after the behaviour of the Tories?
We’re not only going for complete eradication in Scotland, we need to put ourselves permanently beyond their control. This isn’t just “Boris crashed the car”, these thieving incompetents must never get their hands on the keys again.

Of course they would - there's a lot of bad behaviour that can be forgotten (or prevented by conditions on rejoining) if it boosts the EU budget by > 11% / reduced other nations contributions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back