advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not long ago, I found myself in the company of some youngsters who didn't know how many feet there are to a yard.
Jeeze, they're going to be at a disadvantage. I mean, seriously, how can Britain conduct herself with aplomb on the world stage when her youngsters display such breathtaking ignorance?

Not long ago, I found myself in the company of some youngsters who didn't know how many feet there are to a yard.

I’m 49, used metric all my life so would make an informed guess at 3ft/yard but I’ve never had need to use such a measurement

Oi! I'm 63 and grew up with lbs, ozs, shillings, half crowns, pennies, etc. I can still multiply/divide those units very easily. I still (in my domestic life) think in terms of pints, ounces, et al.

There certainly are several advantages to measurement systems operating in base 12 as opposed to the decimal base 10 system. As a sprog engineer having to do sums converting slugs/cubic feet to kg/m3 and spending endless hours retracing my steps to find by results out by a factor of 32.1740 or thereabouts though - I'm happy to forego the potential gains of any return to avoirdupois, and in fact happy never to see another imperial measurement in my life, ever :)

I’m 49, used metric all my life so would make an informed guess at 3ft/yard but I’ve never had need to use such a measurement
Lucky you. You have clearly avoided places like builders ' yards and old engineering, in fact I think that to this day brass comes in inch diam eter and metre lengths, it's impossible to avoid. The pitch of all (pedal) bike chains, for example, is 25.4mm. Eh? Why 25.4mm? Because 25.4mm = 1.0" .

There certainly are several advantages to measurement systems operating in base 12 as opposed to the decimal base 10 system. As a sprog engineer having to do sums converting slugs/cubic feet to kg/m3 and spending endless hours retracing my steps to find by results out by a factor of 32.1740 or thereabouts though - I'm happy to forego the potential gains of any return to avoirdupois, and in fact happy never to see another imperial measurement in my life, ever :)
God yes. Every engineer says the same. How many thou to a sixteenth? What's the drill size above 17/32? That's before you start with letter drills, thank god I avoided them. At least in metric you can work it out. M6 tapping drill? It's going to be 5.something. 5.3 says the table? I've got a 5.4, close enough. Try that with letter drills, thou and 32nds.

I use both, I'll use feet and inches to give rough or rounded up distances like - "how far away is that table? About 10 feet" - but if someone wanted to know the exact measurements I would give it them in metric, and because of my engineering past I will always use mm even for larger dimensions because that is just what I am used to.

In fact I still have a Starrett tape measure from when I started work and all the major markers are all in mm 100/200/300 etc. Anyone I lend it to at work needs a double or triple take to check the measurement, even then some have chucked it back saying they can't use it.

I'm no good with imperial drills or bolt/spanners though as I've never used them.

Genuinely interested to understand this assertion. Can you say what those advantages are as I can't think of any.

At last, a benefit! At least they will speak English thanks to our past colonial activities, not like those dastardly Romanians. I suspect Delhi may require us to do this, so we can have a free trade deal. So sovereignty is on the table.

Oh.

PS: I wonder if we have to do this too

Indian System - Metric System
1 Tolä 11.664 g
1 Sèèr (80 Tolä) 933.10 g
1 Maund (40 Sèèr) 37.324 kg

At last, a benefit! At least they will speak English thanks to our past colonial activities, not like those dastardly Romanians. I suspect Delhi may require us to do this, so we can have a free trade deal. So sovereignty is on the table.

Oh.

PS: I wonder if we have to do this too

Indian System - Metric System
1 Tolä 11.664 g
1 Sèèr (80 Tolä) 933.10 g
1 Maund (40 Sèèr) 37.324 kg

Perhaps Brexiteers will soon enjoy the freedom to retire in Calcutta rather than the Costa del Sol? I'm sure they'll like that.

India will give us an advantageous trade deal because we after all brought civilisation to their country.

sGt3sQk.jpg

Lucky you. You have clearly avoided places like builders ' yards and old engineering, in fact I think that to this day brass comes in inch diameter and metre lengths, it's impossible to avoid. The pitch of all (pedal) bike chains, for example, is 25.4mm. Eh? Why 25.4mm? Because 25.4mm = 1.0" .
Even in Sweden, metric since 1889, builders commonly use inches when referring to dimensions of planks, nails, etc which typically come in multiples of 25 mm.

In electronics, through-hole parts usually have inch-derived pin pitch (e.g. 2.54 mm) while surface-mount components tend to use metric dimensions.

Quick scan of that reveals nada. A counting system has to be understandable by joe public.
Mathematicians, siloed as they are, can work in whatever base they choose.

Precisely, but it cuts both ways; the main reason that metric is now more "understandable" is that it has been taught in schools for over 50 years.

Not available in the UK...
Sorry about that. basically, it's an interview with a flower importer, who'd built up a solid business importing from Europe over 33 years, and his laments about the business being destroyed and losing his house because of the time delay involved in importing such perishable things (flowers not being terribly patient beings). Then John Oliver says something to the effect that, while this is undoubtedly a tragedy, we should listen to what the interviewee says next:
"I voted Leave"
"But," says the slightly incredulous interviewer, "didn't you realise that this would happen?"
"No," he replied, "I didn't really think about the business side of it".
"Do you regret that vote?"
"I'd definitely have second thoughts."

It would have been good to have first thoughts.

Kolkata - quite a pleasant city to be in, much more so than Delhi and most of Mumbai. Good access to Sundarban National park.
Ha. It was ****ing insane last time I was there in 2008. Human rickshaws, getting chased everywhere by naked kids, the works. Never again. Some excellent high end vegetarian restaurants, though.

I have travelled a lot in India and love the far north and would happily never visit the rest ever again. Although a couple of weeks as the guest of some mining billionaire at a private estate in Mandi Greens just outside Delhi offered a chance to see how the other half live. Great butlering.

Is there really a demand for lbs and oz to return?, anyone who was used to them must be at least 70.
Like the game of Cricket, our measurement system was good for confusing our fellow Europeans. I am old enough to happily switch between imperial and metric but definitely prefer Hectares to Acres, Hectares make more sense to me.

Sorry about that. basically, it's an interview with a flower importer, who'd built up a solid business importing from Europe over 33 years, and his laments about the business being destroyed and losing his house because of the time delay involved in importing such perishable things (flowers not being terribly patient beings). Then John Oliver says something to the effect that, while this is undoubtedly a tragedy, we should listen to what the interviewee says next:
"I voted Leave"
"But," says the slightly incredulous interviewer, "didn't you realise that this would happen?"
"No," he replied, "I didn't really think about the business side of it".
"Do you regret that vote?"
"I'd definitely have second thoughts."

It would have been good to have first thoughts.

So many leave voters were reported as saying that they completely understood the consequences of their vote, and that for remainers to suggest otherwise was an insult to their intelligence. So this guy was an exception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back