advertisement

Bought a Wiim Pro Plus

There is a Wiim forum but I'm just lazy and going to ask this here of Wimm users.
When using Tidal via the app, can you scroll all the way down long playlists.

Tidal does not provide the ability to select another running instance of Tidal on a separate device to play your selected track (unlike Spotify).
I use Unified Remote on a tablet which just gives you the screen of your pc but it's virtually impossible to scroll down a long list. There is no down arrow.

Just having a little play with the Parametric EQ, listening to Blancmange, lowered the treble with a long low shelf adjustment, tilted the bass end up with similar and nudged the mids up a bit, very flexible and effective, can definitely fix iffy recordings, ability to save with a name too (not sure how many presets ), it’s so good to have PEQ, nice 👍

Aaannnnd the honeymoon period of the inbuilt DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus is over……

My Genelec’s expose an overall lack of fidelity, no doubt it can make some nice sounds, but too often it sounds a little underwhelming……...so, back in goes my Beresford and it’s so much better all round, fed via SPDIF optical, the little Genelec’s are singing again.

Nigh on certain the WiiM provides the Beresford a better feed than my CCA and I’ll say again, the PEQ is seriously good, I cannot hear any drop off in sound quality, either on or off, with superb flexibility to tweak the sound, I’m only skimming the surface of what it can do, but it’s a game changer for me in my room, it’s like garlic bread, it’s the future!

@MVV You seem to be saying that you are considering spending ÂŁ5k on active speakers but one alternative is to keep the amplification and speakers you use for your vinyl because you seem to say how much you like the vinyl sound?

Then an alternative is to broaden your search to look at spending a bit more money on your digital source to get it to sound as good as your vinyl.

You might be surprised at just how much better digital can sound with a different streamer and separate DAC. The Wiim Pro Plus is undoubtedly good value for money but it might it is possible that it isn't up to competing with your turntable.

Just a thought.
I'm going the other way..spent years thinking DACs were the way to go..then I got a decent MC cart for my record player then a decent phono stage..vinyl is so much more agreeable than digital..I can spend hours faffing about playing different records...love it

Aaannnnd the honeymoon period of the inbuilt DAC of the WiiM Pro Plus is over……

My Genelec’s expose an overall lack of fidelity, no doubt it can make some nice sounds, but too often it sounds a little underwhelming……...so, back in goes my Beresford and it’s so much better all round, fed via SPDIF optical, the little Genelec’s are singing again.

Nigh on certain the WiiM provides the Beresford a better feed than my CCA and I’ll say again, the PEQ is seriously good, I cannot hear any drop off in sound quality, either on or off, with superb flexibility to tweak the sound, I’m only skimming the surface of what it can do, but it’s a game changer for me in my room, it’s like garlic bread, it’s the future!
Which Beresford is it?

Didn’t realise the CCA’s lack of gapless playback was such an issue until I now have it with the WiiM, well, you live and learn 👍

Using a Caiman here. Really good DAC.

I have a Beresford Caiman SEG with all the latest firmware mods and Dorado PSU in my second system bedroom rig with Raspberry Pi / Wolfson Audio Card SqueezeLite streamer...

...I listen via Sennheiser HD650s - today I had a transcendent listening session after lunch.

Ignore ASR reviews - the Beresford gear is tremendous value for money. I have to pinch myself that this setup cost me not much over ÂŁ200.

It may benefit from a better PSU, the AKM4493 is a bloody good DAC chip.
I’d like to try one, any recommendations?

(There’s just more life and vitality with my external DAC, feels a bit constrained on the analogue outputs, lacking in excitement I felt).

I’d like to try one, any recommendations?

(There’s just more life and vitality with my external DAC, feels a bit constrained on the analogue outputs, lacking in excitement I felt).
Have you tried using the EQ on the Wiim Phil?
There are quite a few programmed settings to try out plus PEQ as well.
May bring the excitement needed.

A Wiim streamer plus a Beresford DAC is going to be one of hifi’s performance bargains and with PEQ as the icing on the cake. Amazing!!

Streamers do make a difference though, as did/do cd transports. Assuming the rest of your system is up to scratch. A good DAC will make the most of a digital signal though, my Weiss DAC202 demonstrates this when watching You Tube music video content like Tiny Desk’s from the optical out of my TV.

Have you tried using the EQ on the Wiim Phil?
There are quite a few programmed settings to try out plus PEQ as well.
May bring the excitement needed.
A little bit Curtis, I’ll revisit it when I have more time to tinker, I’d prefer using it on its own for simplicity, but only if I’m happy with the sound, will see in the weeks ahead, all the best.

advertisement

Back