advertisement

Bought a Wiim Pro Plus

I’m thinking about getting one and, on the suggestion of a mate, I have downloaded a dlna android player for the phone. He advised I check out whether I can access my Synology NAS or whether that has to have a dlna media server put on it first. His own experience of dlna active on his NAS is that the loaded disks never stop spinning and was concerned with them wearing out.

So, I downloaded bubbleupnp (or something like that) onto my phone and I can see my NAS music folders and sub-folders no problem but not the FLAC files in them. That’s my next check when I get time later, if it doesn’t work then dlna might be the reason for me not to go down the Wiim route.
I have my CD collection ripped to FLAC, and my Wiim Pro reads and plays these without issues from a simple 512GB USB memory stick attached to my router. When I used this playback pathway with an RME DAC I was able to confirm this resulted in bitperfect replay. This also works with all my other devices (Naim Muso, Pure Radio, Roberts Stream 93, Yamaha Musiccast speaker, Samsung TV) around the house. The only downside of this arrangement for me is that I can't pull down artwork for some reason. I have JRiver on my main PC, and for serious listening sessions will fire this up and use its remote app to play to the Wiim so I can access the artwork and other JRiver features.

Thanks Peter, I’ll take this into account as I test things and can replicate that with a stand-alone drive connected to router if needed.

Whether we like it or not, good sound reproduction is expensive. I have two old fashioned TT, Tuner and CDP Naim based systems with good quality speakers at home in the UK.

I missed having music in my holiday home in Spain and on the advice of Richer Sounds bought a package of a Sonos Amp and a pair of Dali bookshelf speakers for £1k. I stuffed it in my suitcase and it took less than 45 mins to set it up and link it up to both my and wifes iPhones. This was my first experience of streaming and it is brilliant. You just discover far more music by surfing the net than what you will ever do buying CDs and records.

However there is a price to pay and I only discovered that when I returned home to the UK and listened to the Naim/big speaker systems which knocked the spots off the streaming system.

What I should have done was buy a Naim Uniti Atom with a top end pair of speakers.

We will be soon returning to Spain for a bit of sun and then we will listen to the streaming system and make the decision whether to live with it or import the Unity Atom/decent speakers.

I was thinking of just buying a pair of better speakers but I think I need to bite the bullet and go for a decent streamer as well. Buy cheap buy twice, at my age and being a retired Purchasing Manager I should have known better.

Learn from my mistake. I am bloody ashamed of myself.
Agree with the bad idea to buy a Sonos. I dont think a WiiM pro used as bridge and digital preamp is worse sounding than a Naim streamer.

Could I just ask the owners on here, used as a preamp and DAC on the variable RCA outputs, I know you can set the output level, what level of adjustment is there please?

I’m thinking of getting one to use into active speakers and probably want to lower the output a fair amount as the speakers are sensitive on their input.

Thank you, Phil.

Last edited:
Could I just ask the owners on here, used as a preamp and DAC on the variable RCA outputs, I know you can set the output level, what adjustment is there on this, what level of adjustment is there?

I’m thinking of getting one to use into active speakers and probably want to lower the output a fair amount as the speakers are sensitive on their input.

Thank you, Phil.
The range on the Wiim Pro is 500mv to 2v in 4 steps, which I would think would give you sufficient flexibility.

My Wiim Pro Plus just arrived and I think I’ll open it on the 25th. I’m tempted to try an ifi power supply with it too having watched a couple of YT videos on the topic.

Edited to add: I’ll be trying it using its own DAC vs my as digital transport through my RME, A-S3000 amp and Ditton 66mk2 and Rega RS10 speakers when I get to it. The bubbleupnp test worked on the phone (to test whether my Synology NAS spins crazily and it doesn’t) and since I always use folders in the main system listening I’m not bothered how clever the WiiM App interface is. But I’ll report that back when I know.

Mick, I understand your logic completely. When it comes to family use how and what they’re comfortable to use far outweighs how the likes of us think it sounds. I hope you get a choice sorted that your wife is good with. I can imagine it’s as much down to buttons controls and interfaces than anything. Mine hasn’t a clue about the main system, inputs, adjustments and so on and defaults to the old Sonos Play 1 in another room as that has become intuitive to her.

The range on the Wiim Pro is 500mv to 2v in 4 steps, which I would think would give you sufficient flexibility.
Thank you Peter, I’ve got one coming today, 2v from my current DAC is too high, even with the lowest input sensitivity on the speakers, all being well 1 or 0.5 will be ideal.

I got the WiiM Pro Plus tonight, managed to get half hour use of it before Strictly (Mrs and daughter, alright, alright, I’ve got half an eye on it too!), anyway…..the WiiM is a lovely thing!

The setup, the app, the remote, all work seamlessly.

I got this to go with my new Genelec’s, I realised my Chromecast Audio into my DAC was not ideal with regards volume settings. Despite turning the speakers sensitivity right down, I still had the volume on Spotify at the lower end and with no volume limit ability, it was only a matter of time before I upset the neighbours, so sensitive was the control and one slip away from very high volume.

Pleased to say the WiiM with adjustable output voltage settings and a volume limit work a treat, in fact I’m able to put the sensitivity back to max (their default) on the speakers and tweak the settings on the WiiM as I like, a very good range of adjustment.

I had chance to look round the app and must say it’s very very good, all slick and intuitive, I like how they have linked access to the forum, FAQ’s and the manual.

EQ options were another reason for getting this unit and like everything else, so easy to adjust, with lots of ability to tweak to your heart’s content, I’m sure with a bit of effort you can tailor the sound to your perfection. Maybe tomorrow I’ll really have a good go with this.

I’m very pleased with how it sounds too! for the price, an absolute bargain.

I got a Wiim Pro Plus couple of weeks ago as possible replacement for my Yamaha RN-602 receiver in the TV room, feeding a spare NAD C268 power amp I have which I think will drive the KEF R3 speakers better (it certainly does when paired with my RME DAC).

It works fine but (in common with the Yamaha) it cannot play music from folders from my vortexbox over the house network. Both it and the Yamaha (MusicCast) can play music from the artist, genre, album etc selections on their respective apps but just won't produce anything if asked to play from folders. And this is hopeless for classical music where multiple artists are involved and there is no commonly accepted tagging schema.

I tried BubbleUPNP app on my phone as a controller - it solves this problem for the Wiim, but the Yamaha still will not play from folders, which is annoying.

However.... the sound from the Wiim with the NAD poweramp is not too good to be honest, kind of heavy & smoothed over, and something very odd in the bass where there is a sort of leading edge of "fartiness" to low bass notes. The NAD power amp, driven by the RME DAC I use in main system, is a superb power amp and I know its not the problem.

So the Yamaha has gone back in its place and the Wiim is in its box awaiting its fate.

I got a Wiim Pro Plus couple of weeks ago as possible replacement for my Yamaha RN-602 receiver in the TV room, feeding a spare NAD C268 power amp I have which I think will drive the KEF R3 speakers better (it certainly does when paired with my RME DAC).

It works fine but (in common with the Yamaha) it cannot play music from folders from my vortexbox over the house network. Both it and the Yamaha (MusicCast) can play music from the artist, genre, album etc selections on their respective apps but just won't produce anything if asked to play from folders. And this is hopeless for classical music where multiple artists are involved and there is no commonly accepted tagging schema.

I tried BubbleUPNP app on my phone as a controller - it solves this problem for the Wiim, but the Yamaha still will not play from folders, which is annoying.

However.... the sound from the Wiim with the NAD poweramp is not too good to be honest, kind of heavy & smoothed over, and something very odd in the bass where there is a sort of leading edge of "fartiness" to low bass notes. The NAD power amp, driven by the RME DAC I use in main system, is a superb power amp and I know its not the problem.

So the Yamaha has gone back in its place and the Wiim is in its box awaiting its fate.
I can only speak for the Wiim Pro, not the Pro Plus which I understand has a more ambitious DAC offering, but I would not consider using the analogue output on the Pro in a serious system. I use it purely as a digital "receiver". Having owned an RME DAC I would expect this to blow the Wiim Pro DAC out of the water TBH. A Wiim Pro outputting to the RME though...that ought to be the basis of an excellent digital front end.

I tried my Pro via analogue out in system 2 and was not impressed, the internal dac was no better than the mediocre one in a Node2 I owned. Feeding it via the Optical out into a Beresford Caimen SEG 50 it was a whole different ballgame, used this way its a superb digital transport punching well above its price point, even at £370 including the Beresford its still a great vfm budget streaming solution.

Mick, I understand your logic completely. When it comes to family use how and what they’re comfortable to use far outweighs how the likes of us think it sounds. I hope you get a choice sorted that your wife is good with. I can imagine it’s as much down to buttons controls and interfaces than anything. Mine hasn’t a clue about the main system, inputs, adjustments and so on and defaults to the old Sonos Play 1 in another room as that has become intuitive to her.
My impression from reading Mick’s post has nothing to do with his wife operating the music system and how easy it is to use. She’s probably questioning spending six times more money for a Naim component that does basically the same thing and bringing in larger speakers into a smaller vacation home.

I enjoy listening to music with my two Sonos Amp systems driving loudspeakers appropriately sized for the rooms they are used in.

Ah, my post is irrelevant then
Not necessarily, having lived with the Sonos Amps along with my Play 3 and how it works with my lifestyle, I think it would be tough to replace with something else or revert back to my previous arrangement. Sound quality-wise, Sonos is underrated IMO.

After a few days use I’m really liking it.

It connects to Spotify very quickly, the Chromecast wasn’t quick. The WiiM can be in standby, go into Spotify, connect and the WiiM turns on and you’re playing music very quickly.

I had chance to really turn up the volume on Sunday, the sound stays composed, no shout or edginess, I think it has a refined treble, detailed but smooth.

Really quick to install and update, found my NAS without problem and Amazon unlimited sounding good. I haven’t had much time to play, I’ve only put my vol on max Phil using optical into my RME and let my amp handle volume, is it better to do it differentl?

Really quick to install and update, found my NAS without problem and Amazon unlimited sounding good. I haven’t had much time to play, I’ve only put my vol on max Phil using optical into my RME and let my amp handle volume, is it better to do it differentl?
Not sure Paul, I use mine straight into Genelec actives, I need attenuation via the WiiM on the variable RCA outputs, otherwise I’m at the very lower end of the volume range. Just try different connections and see 👍

They really are nice little things.

advertisement

Back