advertisement

Bought a Wiim Pro Plus

MVV

pfm Member
Having been a vinyl only person since forever I bought one of these.

Living for years in a world where £2000 is ok for a needle it felt like buying a round. Sounds great via my Audio Note pre-power.
I think I prefer my vinyl front end @ c 6k but i'm not sure, there is certainly a difference but then I've only listened to vinyl so I presume I have a familiarity.

It has got me thinking about getting some form of active speaker with that room correction thing. 12K seems a bit extravagant for those D&D things and wonder what could be done for say 5K?

Living for years in a world where £2000 is ok for a needle it felt like buying a round. Sounds great via my Audio Note pre-power.
I think I prefer my vinyl front end @ c 6k but i'm not sure, there is certainly a difference but then I've only listened to vinyl so I presume I have a familiarity.

It has got me thinking about getting some form of active speaker with that room correction thing. 12K seems a bit extravagant for those D&D things and wonder what could be done for say 5K?
Neumann have the KH120 and KH150 active speakers with DSP, you can add their MA1 automatic monitor alignment software and microphone, as well as their KH750 active DSP subs. Seems to be quite a well thought out system.

Neumann or Genelec, but be prepared for an extremely flat response, as some people hate that.

I’d probably go for a pair of Genelec 8341, or if I had the cash to spend £5k I’d save up a bit more and buy the new Kii 7

Genelec 8341's here with 7360 sub, and GLM kit running Genelecs room correction DSP solution. Fed from a Wiim Pro. Reckon I'm done on my 40 yr HiFi journey. This setup so clearly demonstrates just how much room accoustics (and their management) matters - I just wish I'd known earlier. Sure, not the last word in domestic aesthetics, but once on it really doesn't matter, the audio performance more than compensates for the somewhat industrial look.

Are you using it with a separate DAC?
Which music streaming service are you using?

Ditto. First one failed - nothing from left line channel - but replacement sent same day. Three days into a free 2-month Qobuz trial and enjoying it immensely. A little 'closed in' compared to vinyl playback is the best way this idiot could describe it, but it's early days.....

@MVV You seem to be saying that you are considering spending £5k on active speakers but one alternative is to keep the amplification and speakers you use for your vinyl because you seem to say how much you like the vinyl sound?

Then an alternative is to broaden your search to look at spending a bit more money on your digital source to get it to sound as good as your vinyl.

You might be surprised at just how much better digital can sound with a different streamer and separate DAC. The Wiim Pro Plus is undoubtedly good value for money but it might it is possible that it isn't up to competing with your turntable.

Just a thought.

I took a punt, sold my separates and bought a pair of Buchardt A700 active floor standers with the Platin Hub back in February.

Best thing I ever did to be honest - Using them with a Squeezebox Touch/Teddy Pardo power supply and a Technics 1200GR/Audio Technica VM540ML/Tisbury Audio Domino phono stage.

I picked up a pro plus recently as well. Cracking bit of kit for the money. Something I didn’t plan on initially, was using it to add peq to my vinyl front end. Game changer! I’ve got a nasty room mode at around 60hz. This has sorted it completely. Well impressed.

I picked up a pro plus recently as well. Cracking bit of kit for the money.
Is there benefit if using free streaming services from these Wiim things ?

I don't really do streaming apart from occasionally exploring new music to buy the record at a later stage.
I don't want to sign up any paid monthly streaming service, I'd rather like to buy the record afterwards.

I do internet radio and podcast, no idea if this would improve - I'm a novice in the digital age.

@MVV You seem to be saying that you are considering spending £5k on active speakers but one alternative is to keep the amplification and speakers you use for your vinyl because you seem to say how much you like the vinyl sound?

Then an alternative is to broaden your search to look at spending a bit more money on your digital source to get it to sound as good as your vinyl.

You might be surprised at just how much better digital can sound with a different streamer and separate DAC. The Wiim Pro Plus is undoubtedly good value for money but it might it is possible that it isn't up to competing with your turntable.

Just a thought.

Using the WiiM pro + as digital bridge with a better power supply can hardly be improved, but with a better sounding dac - sure.
One can still use the peq function and use volumeregulation ( very high quality on those ) with an external dac.

Using the WiiM pro + as digital bridge with a better power supply can hardly be improved, but with a better sounding dac - sure.
One can still use the peq function and use volumeregulation ( very high quality on those ) with an external dac.

Whether we like it or not, good sound reproduction is expensive. I have two old fashioned TT, Tuner and CDP Naim based systems with good quality speakers at home in the UK.

I missed having music in my holiday home in Spain and on the advice of Richer Sounds bought a package of a Sonos Amp and a pair of Dali bookshelf speakers for £1k. I stuffed it in my suitcase and it took less than 45 mins to set it up and link it up to both my and wifes iPhones. This was my first experience of streaming and it is brilliant. You just discover far more music by surfing the net than what you will ever do buying CDs and records.

However there is a price to pay and I only discovered that when I returned home to the UK and listened to the Naim/big speaker systems which knocked the spots off the streaming system.

What I should have done was buy a Naim Uniti Atom with a top end pair of speakers.

We will be soon returning to Spain for a bit of sun and then we will listen to the streaming system and make the decision whether to live with it or import the Unity Atom/decent speakers.

I was thinking of just buying a pair of better speakers but I think I need to bite the bullet and go for a decent streamer as well. Buy cheap buy twice, at my age and being a retired Purchasing Manager I should have known better.

Learn from my mistake. I am bloody ashamed of myself.

I picked up a pro plus recently as well. Cracking bit of kit for the money. Something I didn’t plan on initially, was using it to add peq to my vinyl front end. Game changer! I’ve got a nasty room mode at around 60hz. This has sorted it completely. Well impressed.

Interesting to know what sort of level your system is? I already have a Wiim Mini in another system but I also have a room node in my main system. Just wondering what detriment the Pro Plus might have on vinyl replay.

Interesting to know what sort of level your system is? I already have a Wiim Mini in another system but I also have a room node in my main system. Just wondering what detriment the Pro Plus might have on vinyl replay.
I'm rather lost, what does detriment mean in this context? Also what is peq?

I was initially impressed by the WiiM Pro but after a while became aware of the audio equivalent of the Soap Opera effect, etched detail but almost 2D grainy character, a signature that was also present in the Eversolo A6 and current version of the Bluesound node. No idea if my Benchmark DAC2 and ATC SCM100ASL were conspiring to accentuate this but whatever the source of the issue it disappeared using SBT and now Mac Mini/Audirvanna/usb-spdif/BMDAC2/ATCs.

Given the wim pro has a dac capable of 19+bits of dynamic range I seriously doubt you’d hear any difference with another dac

Whether we like it or not, good sound reproduction is expensive. I have two old fashioned TT, Tuner and CDP Naim based systems with good quality speakers at home in the UK.

I missed having music in my holiday home in Spain and on the advice of Richer Sounds bought a package of a Sonos Amp and a pair of Dali bookshelf speakers for £1k. I stuffed it in my suitcase and it took less than 45 mins to set it up and link it up to both my and wifes iPhones. This was my first experience of streaming and it is brilliant. You just discover far more music by surfing the net than what you will ever do buying CDs and records.

However there is a price to pay and I only discovered that when I returned home to the UK and listened to the Naim/big speaker systems which knocked the spots off the streaming system.

What I should have done was buy a Naim Uniti Atom with a top end pair of speakers.

We will be soon returning to Spain for a bit of sun and then we will listen to the streaming system and make the decision whether to live with it or import the Unity Atom/decent speakers.

I was thinking of just buying a pair of better speakers but I think I need to bite the bullet and go for a decent streamer as well. Buy cheap buy twice, at my age and being a retired Purchasing Manager I should have known better.

Learn from my mistake. I am bloody ashamed of myself.
I would suggest trying the Sonos Amp with better loudspeakers or in your home up North with your SBL’s. You might be surprised how good it can sound.

advertisement

Back