advertisement

Bose - why the bad press?

That's true, if the requirements include CD playback and radio, then there will need to be something else. Still, I'm sure there'll be something better sounding. Not because Bose lacks engineering knowledge, but because it seems they don't want to spend any money on quality materials/drivers. Boston Acoustics had a pretty similar product to the Wave radio that was reported to be better sounding, for example.

... I would go as far as to say that 95% of people who buy a bose system,will never have heard a "Proper" "Better" sounding system for the money,however even if the did/have they would probably buy bose anyway!!!
I find it hard to believe any music lover who has heard a proper hifi system would still prefer to buy Bose, unless they just want an unobstrusive system for background muzak or were really under the thumb.

James

I find it hard to believe any music lover who has heard a proper hifi system would still prefer to buy Bose, unless they just want an unobstrusive system for background muzak or were really under the thumb.

James

As a former non-Bose dealer, and after speaking with many folks who bought Bose or similar brands here in the States, the majority told me they did it simply because they heard or read Bose was good and honestly gave no thought to whether it was actually good (for them) or otherwise. Most simply wanted a "reputable" brand name that played their music and sound quality really wasn't a concern at all.

James

I think it's easy for people like us to forget that there are 'music lovers' out there by the million who are more into just getting into the vibe and having access to the music, than they are analysing timing, soundstaging and instrumental timbre. I sometimes wonder which group has got it right. Then, I sit down for a listening session (which is exactly what most of those people DON'T do) and I know the answer. It hasn't half cost me a lot of money though :)

I fall into neither camp. I care not a jot for timing, soundstage and all that stuff. I do know the difference between a mediocre recording (plenty of those), a good one and a sublime one. My audio system, which cost me hardly anything, is still good enough to enable me to tell the difference between the above categories. Part of the enjoyment, however, comes from knowing that I set up the system without having to shell out a fortune. I suspect that, if I ever did spend any money, it would be on vintage gear rather than modern stuff. More in keeping with the vinyl medium.

It's all about knowing your budget. . . what you're willing to pay and what you're looking for!? Bose is barely, if even should be considered at all, in the 'entry level into high-end audio'.

A friend recently purchased a product from Bose. I would say upon hearing it that it's not too bad for anyone who's not an audiophile. It sounded to my ears, flat, boxed-in, artificial, dull, muddied, with flabby bass and unrealistic in the high-frequency range. And that's alright. For watching a film, it'll do, and be quite enjoyable. To hear a piece of chamber music, you'll know that it's absolutely inappropriate!

Here's my 5 minute sweep of the subject. I ended up with 3 angles

- purism vs pragmatism: purism is refusing to add bass compensation mechanism(such as a loudness button) for playing at low volumes because "it is not the original sound". Pragmatic is saying you do want the music to be compressed because otherwise you'll miss a lot when driving in your car or listening to a portable.
- refined vs undeveloped tastes. as in make everything sweet, which a more developed taste doesn't appreciate.
- quality vs marketing power: you're just fooled into thinking it's good because of the marketing power.

I think the rest of the logic writes itself for each of the framings. I suppose 1 and 2 can overlap. Hard to add weights to each factor though :)

A Zeppelin is like the soundock-for playing your i-pod,wave products have radio and cd playback-they are bought buy people who don't want speakers.
Customers who want the best one box solution buy the Meridian F80/M80,its surprising how many people will pay a grand and a half for something with no wires and speakers,when a £300 micro from any of the japanese companies will outperform it !!!

Arcam rcube with rwand.

When I lived in Sydney they used to have aircraft doing skywriting up and down the beaches in summer, saying 'BOSE' in giant letters.

My recent Bose experience.
‎$89 for a killer portable head amp. WOW Yesterday at Future crap I had 2 of the sales dudes freaking out with my I-pod, special home made interconnect, AirHead on a pair of $40 JVCs they had kicking around. Made the Bose display sound DEAD zero pulse. Sold 2 that day for you guys. Facebook reply on the Headroom friend.

advertisement

Back