advertisement

Bose - why the bad press?

I believe that the price charged depends on postcode. If you live in Chelsea, the price is higher than if you live in somewhere less affluent.[/QUOTE I have a Bose leaflet 'Share and enjoy the magic of Christmas' and it has all the prices in it. Wave Music system - £599 (!) Sound dock £549 (!!) My brother-in-law gave away his Hi-Fi and went for iPod. Soundock & Bose headphones ( £279) He tried by Sennheiser PX -100 and didn't comment... \Martyn .

yeah, it's all about marketing (same with B&O) - it's what the average bloke aspires to...they no nothing about hifi apart from what they see in currys / dixons etc and to them this is a big step up...

and as already mentioned - the WAF factor - tiny speakers and a sub hidden away behind the sofa...

an ex manager sais he was going to buy a B&O system...he was such a twat that I didn't bother to discourage him... :)

This thread reminds me of the Cleese Barker Corbett "I look down on him" sketch.

Bose are being criticised for prioritising WAF and lifestyle over sound quality, for spending a lot on advertising and for the sales price of their products bearing little resemblance to the perceived manufacturing costs.

Well surely this just makes them a typical, if extreme, example of an audio manufacturing company?

Hands up everyone who:

1 has a component where WAF and lifestyle were higher priorities than ultimate sound quality (this includes all those small / slimline loudspeakers)

2 or has a component from a company that has advertised heavily, or even dared to advertise in non hi-fi magazines

3 or has a component from a company where the retail price doesn't always bear a direct relationship to the perceived manufacturing costs

Anyone with Bose is the Ronnie Corbett character who should know their place. Anyone with their hands up is the Ronnie Barker character. Anyone with their hands down can congratulate themselves on being the John Cleese character.

This thread reminds me of the Cleese Barker Corbett "I look down on him" sketch.

Bose are being criticised for prioritising WAF and lifestyle over sound quality, for spending a lot on advertising and for the sales price of their products bearing little resemblance to the perceived manufacturing costs.

Well surely this just makes them a typical, if extreme, example of an audio manufacturing company?

Hands up everyone who:

1 has a component where WAF and lifestyle were higher priorities than ultimate sound quality (this includes all those small / slimline loudspeakers)

2 or has a component from a company that has advertised heavily, or even dared to advertise in non hi-fi magazines

3 or has a component from a company where the retail price doesn't always bear a direct relationship to the perceived manufacturing costs

Anyone with Bose is the Ronnie Corbett character who should know their place. Anyone with their hands up is the Ronnie Barker character. Anyone with their hands down can congratulate themselves on being the John Cleese character.

What I don't like is the ( usual ) Bose way of not putting prices, but putting quotes from Lifestyle magazines. My good friend John, who is a pro audio guy, said to his Father not to buy one, but his Mother had said she 'liked the way it looked in the magazine' . John said they were expensive and people are impressed when it arrives and then decide to buy it. (It's a hassle sending it back...) Yes, his Parents kept it. Lots of people up and down the country do the same. Martyn

I think Bose is usually picked because it will fit in with a certain type of decor in the new apartment. I think the look impresses people, they also think they are buying something really good because of the price, marketing and style of the shop.
I think the same people are unlikely to be disappointed with the quality or overproduction of the many recordings that are all to readily available today .
Interest in sound reproduction (hi-fi) like any hobby is as much about learning as you go along, mainly learning to listen!
I'm sure if any of us were to compare our system today with what we started with the difference is night and day as regards sound quality!
We have perhaps moved on a little and now have tastes that have become more refined.

Very cheaply built, over pricesd, over marketed - but does make clever use of psychoacoustics.

exactly, makes a lot of sound for a little box and nice and compact. best left for the kids bedrooms. from what i remember they do something to the mid range bass or something to make you think your are hearing them low notes. not really sure on what they do but am sure its on google somewhere

Its hard to believe no-one in this entire thread has stuck up for Bose.

They make some great sounding products. They have a large number of very happy customers.

this stick-poking is very easy.

It's like finally NAIM and LINN owners have a brand they can throw mud at. You'd think they'd be sick of that kind of thing!!

I got dragged into a Bose demo room once. It was a mocked up home theatre type room, couple of anonymous box speakers either side of the screen. We were supposed to hear how great it all sounded, & the finale was when they took the dummy boxes off to reveal two small Bose speakers underneath. We were supposed to all gasp with disbelief at how such a great sound came from such tiny speakers. When I said to the Bose demo guy "yeah, but it's just a 5:1 surround-sound system, you've just got a hidden sub somewhere,, what's the big deal?", he had no answer. Sure, it sounded OK, & if I lived in a modern flat & just wanted a neat, small system to watch DVDs / VH-1 music videos etc, I'm sure it would do the job, but then so would several other brands of surround-sound systems.
So yeah, I can see how someone trading up from a boom-box may be impressed, but it's not the sort of thing I'd look forward to coming home to, to listen to some music on.
Matt.

It's simply a matter of taste, which is a personal thing.

Here are some speakers in order of my personal preference.

1 Lowther Acousta
2 Bose Sounddock 10
3 Naim IBL

The acousta's are my favourite of those 3, but will undoubtedly have ragged measurements. Discernment is simply prefernce in disguise :)

I'm not keen on Bang and Olufsen, but I've been using a pair of their speakers for testing equipment I'm working on. Then I saw a pair listed on Ebay at £100. They've sounded a lot better ever since. Is there any rational explanation for this?

It is because B&O
used Goodmans
drive units and
possibly Radford
cross overs in the
1970's

Open them up Clara
so as to confirm my
speculation!

Bose is offered as a premium sound system in some new cars too, like Mark Levinson, McIntosh and Linn. Must be good then.

James

Bose is offered as a premium sound system in some new cars too, like Mark Levinson, McIntosh and Linn. Must be good then.

James

Yeah, I forgot my car has a Bose system in it!
Again, yes, it's a step up from the standard fare & sounds good enough for my needs, as ICE isn't that important for me.
I'm fairly confident that if you had a bog standard car stereo & wanted to upgrade it, there are many better Systems out there for a lot less $$$.
Alfa Romeo GT, btw.
Matt.

advertisement

Back