advertisement

Bookshelf Speakers with "welly"

Is the speaker position fairly close to a wall? If so consider 10” or 12” Tannoys, e.g. 3LZ, Little Red monitors, Little Gold Monitors, Edens etc. Tons of punch and really won’t care about the positioning much. They’ll be way easier to place than LS50s IME.
Thanks Tony, I don't have space for floor standers - one speaker has to sit on my desk

I‘ve owned both Dynaudio (Contour) and the Kef LS50 Metas and can agree that the Dyns will stomp all over the Kefs for bass. That includes both depth and punch. You’ll also get shedloads more detail! There’s a used pair of Focal Kanta no1s on eBay for £2,800 (RRP £5,000) and these are fabulous (if I do say so myself but maybe not in baby blue).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Is the speaker position fairly close to a wall? If so consider 10” or 12” Tannoys, e.g. 3LZ, Little Red monitors, Little Gold Monitors, Edens etc. Tons of punch and really won’t care about the positioning much. They’ll be way easier to place than LS50s IME.
My Tannoy System 1000’s have a ten inch woofer and really fill up this rather large room nicely. They replaced ATC-SCM7’s which would be another recommendation if size is more a concern. The Tannoy’s are fuller sounding and more efficient than the ATC’s but I always enjoyed listening to the ATC’S in that room.

I cut a space in the sheetrock wall so that I could mount them to the concrete wall and get them more out of the way in the room. They kind of blend unobtrusively and stay out of the way of pool cues. Love spinning tunes with friends while shooting 8 ball!

MIhQxaZ.jpeg

If I were looking at a smart passive bookshelf speaker with plenty of bass extension to work in compromised positions, I think PMC transmission line standmounts would have to be on my list.

The Twenty5 22i or 21i or a version their larger legacy standmount TB2 must be worth considering?

Still considering trying a pair in my desktop system.

Hi, I’m currently running a pair or PMC 25 21i’s which sit on a window sill within a window bay. Reason being is that I have young children and having in stands or having floorstanders was too much risk of them knocking the speakers over which could fall on them (not fussed about the speakers, can be replaced but more about the kids safety).

I’ve had many pairs of PMC’s but these suited me better being front ported. Anything rear ported I tried (Pro-Ac DB1’s, Neat Majistra etc) sounded booming due to the position.

These really outperform their small size, low base and very open. I really never feel I’m missing something with these and they go very loud indeed.

Only bookshelf speakers that I have are PMC Fact 3. I don't know how they compare or differ from the PMC models mentioned above. More similar than not I would guess, since they certainly share the use of a transmission line for the bass. Which seems to give pretty good performance considering their overall size.

Dynaudio Special 40 bass is massive! They come with bungs if you need to tone down a bit.

Kef Q350 also pack quite a punch, presumably also the R3.
Try as many as you can, just having decent impact does not mean you will like them.

Amphion Argon 3S have great punch. The passive radiator makes room placement a lot more flexible. They pretty much eliminated bass boom in my room and sound great, fast detailed and tight with a natural tone.
For ported I would look at Proac. The Studio 100 don't get too much attention but the front port helps again with placement

advertisement

Back