advertisement

Bookshelf Speakers with "welly"

Given the room and placement limitations whatever you choose will be highly compromised and a waste of such a big wedge of cash imo.
I’d just buy a mega pair of headphones or just get something like a Naim Mu-So and go on some nice holidays (or hookers and drugs) with the money you save.

Thanks, that’s pretty clear and unambiguous, appreciate it.
It’s also not at all like my experience with them, an owner of 18 months.

they’re smooth without being syrupy, the tweeter is superb. Detailed without being analytical and do bass better than any standmount I’ve ever owned. They never get fatiguing and have a full muscular sound that works across all genres. I do run mine with subs which does add to ‘full sound’ I refer to.

the video compares the two. He prefers the special 40’s and he sells both speakers. My friend also demo’d both speakers and went for the 40’s but said it was a close run thing.

Given the room and placement limitations whatever you choose will be highly compromised and a waste of such a big wedge of cash imo.
I’d just buy a mega pair of headphones or just get something like a Naim Mu-So and go on some nice holidays (or hookers and drugs) with the money you save.
HiFiMan Susvara's in the house/ match made in heaven with the Enleum. That was my rationale in not going for the Serhan Swift's. Nice to have a "better" pair of speakers as well though.

I've not heard the amp but know the specs. Efficient speakers that work well close to room boundaries seem to be in order. I'd try the Audio Note AN-Ks, with or without sub(s). 'Welly' might not be the first thing that comes to mind but that depends on the amp, boundary reinforcement and subs if needed. I only have the lowly AX2s but they work very well just plonked on a desk. (Sorry if this is repeated elsewhere).

Please don't take this as criticism, just observation, but you're throwing a lot of money at a sub-optimal set-up. Welly could very easily be just boom. I'd be surprised if a pair of Genelec G3s didn't sound better.
AN-K's are too tall for the space. They seem to be the "smallest" Audio Note speaker in the current line-up.
The room certainly isn't ideal but, when properly setup, it can sound fine. The Serhan Swift's were great, really, just too expensive. I'm hoping to achieve similar but with spending a lot less!

It’s also not at all like my experience with them, an owner of 18 months.

they’re smooth without being syrupy, the tweeter is superb. Detailed without being analytical and do bass better than any standmount I’ve ever owned. They never get fatiguing and have a full muscular sound that works across all genres. I do run mine with subs which does add to ‘full sound’ I refer to.

the video compares the two. He prefers the special 40’s and he sells both speakers. My friend also demo’d both speakers and went for the 40’s but said it was a close run thing.

I’m sure that it’s an informative video but watched the first five minutes and couldn’t help thinking it was a Ricky Gervais spoof, sounds just like him

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
These were the best speakers I had heard at sounding far larger than they had any right to:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20421639...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

They do sometimes come up for around £1.5k and they're magnificent. I traded mine in for floor standing MF7s, also wonderful.

The Kudos 505s also great. Same designer (Derek worked at Neat at the time).
They’re very good, heard them many times (and had MF9s myself). In Mike’s setup and with his amp I think they’d sound terrible. Iotas would probably work much better.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back