advertisement

Bookshelf Speakers with "welly"

mikechadwick

pfm Member
Because of room constraints I'm restricted to bookshelf type speakers in my main (small) listening room. I'm currently using KEF LS50 Meta's which are great for the money but I keep thinking there must be a bookshelf type speaker further up the food chain with a bit more of everything, especially in the bass. I thought I'd found the answer with a pair of Serhan Swift mu2 MK2's BUT they are £6.5K a pair which I'm finding hard to justify! https://www.serhanswift.com/
So my question is "is there a speaker in the £3K-£4K range that can give me what I'm looking for"? Bear in mind placement is an issue - it's a total compromise - so they've got to be fairly unforgiving in that respect (one speaker on desk, one speaker on a stand). LS3/5A type speakers aren't the answer - maybe what I'm searching for just doesn't exist (at least in my price range).
Thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

Mike, I'm using Revel M106s (and Revel M105s in another room) which have decent bass extension and I much preferred to the LS50 Metas, both situated in corners. I dont find the bass to be boomy although with a tiny bit of EQ they sound even better. Nintronics have a new pair for just under 1200 quid on ebay which is a good deal.

A pair of the bookshelf Boenicke's would do the trick - the W5's. Surprising amount of bass for the cabinet size; I don't know how they do it really! They can be stand-mounted on a very tiny stand, or table/shelf-mounted on four little wobbly feet.

Elite usually have used pairs going for <£2500. Your budget would probably allow you to step up to used W5SE's, which i haven't heard but are supposedly much better.

I think I would be looking for Active speakers which include DSP to assist in the bass.
My next set of speakers will almost certainly be of this type.

How about Genelec G Three (or G Four if you want more of everything). You can add the F sub too.

Mike, I'm using Revel M106s (and Revel M105s in another room) which have decent bass extension and I much preferred to the LS50 Metas, both situated in corners. I dont find the bass to be boomy although with a tiny bit of EQ they sound even better. Nintronics have a new pair for just under 1200 quid on ebay which is a good deal.

nintronics were selling m105 for less than 700 new recently . nearly bought a pair !!

Bear in mind placement is an issue - it's a total compromise - so they've got to be fairly unforgiving in that respect (one speaker on desk, one speaker on a stand). LS3/5A type speakers aren't the answer - maybe what I'm searching for just doesn't exist (at least in my price range).

Is the speaker position fairly close to a wall? If so consider 10” or 12” Tannoys, e.g. 3LZ, Little Red monitors, Little Gold Monitors, Edens etc. Tons of punch and really won’t care about the positioning much. They’ll be way easier to place than LS50s IME.

Because of room constraints I'm restricted to bookshelf type speakers in my main (small) listening room. I'm currently using KEF LS50 Meta's which are great for the money but I keep thinking there must be a bookshelf type speaker further up the food chain with a bit more of everything, especially in the bass. I thought I'd found the answer with a pair of Serhan Swift mu2 MK2's BUT they are £6.5K a pair which I'm finding hard to justify! https://www.serhanswift.com/
So my question is "is there a speaker in the £3K-£4K range that can give me what I'm looking for"? Bear in mind placement is an issue - it's a total compromise - so they've got to be fairly unforgiving in that respect (one speaker on desk, one speaker on a stand). LS3/5A type speakers aren't the answer - maybe what I'm searching for just doesn't exist (at least in my price range).
Thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

I was looking at the Neat Petite as an option

I'd recommend a listen to the Neat Majistras, Mike. They've managed to integrate that ribbon tweeter with the isobaric woofer system very well.

https://neatacoustics.com/majistra/

advertisement

Back