advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I'm enjoying both releases this month, I caved on Turning Point. The Heavy Soul title track is worth the admission fee on the Ike Quebec. The vinyl's rather clicky in both examples, unfortunately.

My Heavy Soul has really bad non-fill on side 2, but is otherwise pretty silent. I'm hoping the replacement will be better as I'm really enjoying the music.

Turning Point up next, so hoping for a good copy of that.

My Heavy Soul has really bad non-fill on side 2, but is otherwise pretty silent. I'm hoping the replacement will be better as I'm really enjoying the music.

I've not had those kinds of problems for a couple of years. Just a bad batch hopefully

Enjoying Turning Point a lot BUT, big question... When I'm putting the album on to my alphabetical shelves, who comes first? Lonnie or Lonnie Liston??
(Lonnie Liston, I reckon).

Gavin,
Yes I have seen the place markers are up on Amazon for these two, but still no full list up for the ongoing months. Hopefully soon.
I am in for the Horace Silver, but I think I can pass on the Jimmy Smith.

Gavin,
Yes I have seen the place markers are up on Amazon for these two, but still no full list up for the ongoing months. Hopefully soon.
I am in for the Horace Silver, but I think I can pass on the Jimmy Smith.

Looks to be another price rise? Certainly at Juno...

2023/2024 list has been announced:

https://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series-2023-2024/

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

September 15, 2023

October 20, 2023

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Mosaic (1961)
  • Hank Mobley – No Room for Squares (1963)
November 17, 2023

• Tina Brooks – True Blue (1960)
  • Wayne Shorter – Night Dreamer (1964)
December 15, 2023

• Sonny Rollins – Newk’s Time (1957)
  • Grant Green – Green Street (1961)
January 19, 2024

• Bud Powell – Amazing Bud Powell, Vol. 1 (1949-51)
  • Clifford Brown – Memorial Album (1953)
February 16, 2024

• Lee Morgan – Search for the New Land (1964)
  • Joe Henderson – Mode for Joe (1966)
March 15, 2024

• Miles Davis – Volume 2 [BLP 1502] (1952-54)
  • Donald Byrd – A New Perspective (1963)
April 19, 2024

• Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings (1966)
  • Herbie Hancock – Speak Like a Child (1968)

I have quite a few that are on Music Matters 2x45rpm’s and a few on good early pressings, but I am definitely in for

Horace Silver - Blowing the Blues away.

• October 20, 2023

March 15, 2024
    • Miles Davis – Volume 2 [BLP 1502] (1952-54)
    • Donald Byrd – A New Perspective (1963)

• April 19, 2024
    • Bobby Hutcherson – Happenings (1966)

I buy most of them apart from the modern, digital recordings - good to see nothing there this time.

That all looks far too tempting. I've a few of these on BN 75s or good enough CDs, but some which I might end up replacing - that seems to be a pattern with this series.

By next summer I'm pretty sure I'll have at picked up least the following:

• Horace Silver – Blowing the Blues Away (1959)
  • Tina Brooks – True Blue (1960) - to replace the BN 75
  • Wayne Shorter – Night Dreamer (1964)

and almost possibly one or two more that I don't know as yet like the Byrd and the Hutcherson ( no sign of Dialogues yet though - maybe a TP?)

Last edited:
and almost possibly one or two more that I don't know as yet like the Byrd and the Hutcherson ( no sign of Dialogues yet though - maybe a TP?)

Dialogues has been mentioned as a possibility for both BNC and TP, the latest mention of it* I can recall is that it is slated for the next round of TPs. Rightly so, it’s a great record. Give Happenings a chance - a very nice rendition of Maiden Voyage. I have a first press mono, maybe I should hear it in stereo after all these years. Great artwork.

* you could wade through nearly 2000 pages of TP posts over at Hoffman to verify that. Also - Joe Harley is being interviewed on the thread in the next few days as a celebration. He may give a few hints on the next schedule.

Are these early 60s mono recordings? Just getting into this music but don't have dedicated mono deck. Do they play OK with a stereo cart?
Honest Jon's has a good website to be able to sample tracks before buying.

Are these early 60s mono recordings?

Kevin Gray, who is mastering the Blue Note Classic and Tone Poet series, and Joe Harley who is overseeing the Tone Poet series, favour stereo and predominantly use stereo masters. Mono is only used if the stereo doesn’t exist or has been damaged. From the list above, based on recording dates, I’d say only the Miles Davis and Bud Powell titles are likely to be mono. Also, mono will play fine on a stereo cartridge, no need to have a dedicated mono cartridge.

Honest Jon’s tend to keep up with most jazz reissues. YouTube is a good source for sampling albums, as are the main streaming platforms if you have access to them. Be wary of unofficial, unlicensed, grey import reissues.

advertisement

Back