advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Reply received today. No surprise here:

Hi Paul.

Thank you for the email.

I am very sorry you was not able to purchase the product from our UK store.

This can sometimes be down to territory restriction when first released.

I`m unable to comment on item sold for Amazon and unfortunately we do not price match.

We do not hold extra of spare stock so we would not be able to raise any free items to send out ,I am sorry for this.

Your email has been forward to our time so the feedback can noted.

Thank you for taking the time to reach out us.

Have a nice rest of your week.​
Do they employ children to reply to emails?

Well glad to see my luck is holding with the present BNC reissues. Dizzy Reece - Star Bright is another great Kevin Gray mastering and my vinyl pressing is excellent, as good as the best RTI Tone Poet pressings. Even the cover seems better on this one with nice sharp text and graphics. Shows that Optimal are capable of doing a very good job if they try. I hope they keep this standard up.

I am really liking a lot these RVG Experimental and T/PB/SD recordings from 1958 - 1960 that have piano on them as he was still mixing in mono and not stereo and hadn’t moved to stereo with fold downs for the monos. The piano sound is recorded so much better with regard to balance and lack of ‘boxiness’, Wynton Kelly plays some great and varied solos on Star Bright, especially on ‘Groovesville’ and ‘I Wished On The Moon’ and the good piano sound really shows this to advantage.

Not sure if it's the same in every branch, but found myself in HMV Wakefield at lunchtime and they had lots of BNCs and a few Tone Poets in the sale section. Classics were £15.99, Poets £22.99
I was in a bit of a rush, so didn't memorize the titles unfortunately. Definitely had Inner Urge, Struttin' and Go....and a Burrell Tone Poet. Lots of others though - if I remember any titles, I'll update the thread.

Also had the Steely Dan & Fagen Nightfly lives from a couple of years back for £14.99 each.

I found this mid 70s BN inner sleeve yesterday (in an LP issued on Verve!) - I've not seen it before and I thought it was kind of neat how they designed it so you could mail in the coupon and still have a pretty much complete sleeve.

7yposUr.jpg

I found this mid 70s BN inner sleeve yesterday (in an LP issued on Verve!) - I've not seen it before and I thought it was kind of neat how they designed it so you could mail in the coupon and still have a pretty much complete sleeve.

That is cool, I’ve not seen one before, though the push-out centre idea was also used (obviously much later) by ZTT/FGTH on the Welcome To The Pleasuredome album, again a merch push-out.

Not convinced I need the Glasper or Madlib titles coming up. Which is a bit of a shock to all concerned!

Not convinced I need the Glasper or Madlib titles coming up. Which is a bit of a shock to all concerned!

I'll pass. I'm not bothered about digital remasters (I'll take the CD or a file). I really think the time and effort should be reserved for AAA pressings. Hoping to get the OJC Waltz For Debby but not looking very likely...

I'll pass. I'm not bothered about digital remasters (I'll take the CD or a file). I really think the time and effort should be reserved for AAA pressings. Hoping to get the OJC Waltz For Debby but not looking very likely...
not looking very likely because......?

These arrived from Amazon.fr today while I was on the beer run into Belgium. They were a bit of a punt, but at the equivalent of £7.25 each it seemed silly not to.

20230701192624-a00947cb.jpg

Hoping to get the OJC Waltz For Debby but not looking very likely...
As Amazon.fr also gave me a month of free Prime I’ve ordered this, supposedly for delivery on Friday. About £26 as opposed to £49 at Amazon UK. Weird.

I ordered the Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard and Workin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet from the US as I didn’t know it was being released in the UK. Cost a fortune. Don’t know why Craft Recordings send me these emails that only link to their US site. In fact, it’s only from seeing Marchbanks post here that I’ve realised I can buy Waltz for Debby in the UK.

These arrived from Amazon.fr today while I was on the beer run into Belgium. They were a bit of a punt, but at the equivalent of £7.25 each it seemed silly not to.

That's a cracking deal! I thought I'd done well with £14 delivered.

I'm guessing these were delivered to Chateaux de Marchbanks not Marchbanks Towers?

I ordered the Bill Evans Live at the Village Vanguard and Workin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet from the US as I didn’t know it was being released in the UK. Cost a fortune. Don’t know why Craft Recordings send me these emails that only link to their US site. In fact, it’s only from seeing Marchbanks post here that I’ve realised I can buy Waltz for Debby in the UK.

This 2nd batch of OJCs was very slow to be made available. Also amazon didn't make Workin available until after release. There's been uncertainty over numbers I'm sure.

I've been in this thread often enough to moan and decry Optimal for their poor QC so it's only fair to chime in when I've had the opposite experience.

I recently picked up the Miles Davis Volume 1 and Dizzy Reece "Star Bright" and both play perfectly with none of the accursed stitching distortion that seems to have plagued these releases (for me) and both are flat and centred. I wish all (or at least the vast majority) of these great releases were like this!

Is there a critical guide to Blue Note and similar labels (e.g. Impulse!)? I've been reading Allmusic as a guide to what to get as a novice to this music, any other recommended sources?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back