advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Cool. Yes for sure, that was what I wanted but 'members' looks intesting too. I suspect a digital transfer so crossing fingers...

Did you get a copy of Members? How is the mastering/pressing? I have Tapscott’s The Giant is Awakened and Real Gone did a nice job on that.

I was persuaded by the comments here to grab a copy of Moon Rappin' while out today. Any hesitation disappeared once I saw it had a gatefold sleeve. Is this the first classic with a gatefold? I can't recall any others but I'm far from knowing every one.

I was persuaded by the comments here to grab a copy of Moon Rappin' while out today. Any hesitation disappeared once I saw it had a gatefold sleeve. Is this the first classic with a gatefold? I can't recall any others but I'm far from knowing every one.

Caramba was too. Very nice package! Herbie Nichols as well.

Reactions: kjb
That Tapscott album was reissued by Real Gone? Didn't know that, must look for it. I saw an original at my favorite record store few years ago but it was going for 100 euros. I like to have it but not at that price...even a cheaper cd version would suffice.

Did you get a copy of Members? How is the mastering/pressing? I have Tapscott’s The Giant is Awakened and Real Gone did a nice job on that.

A great and underappreciated musician. His sideman performances were always interesting as were his own albums.

I shall treasure my BNs and his couple of albums on BYG. The latter albums may be even less known but are very good.
I would agree and the BYG Acutuel albums are good. I have both New Africa and Aco dei de madrugada (both subtitled “one morning I woke up very early” and they are both worth having. Originals are not that expensive and both have been reissued on vinyl.

I would agree about the BYG Acutuel albums I have both New Africa and Aco dei de madrugada (both subtitled “one morning I woke up very early’ and they are both worth having. Originals are not that expensive and both have been reissued on vinyl.

Great records. Though the '180g sticker' reissues often stocked in stores have the feel of Scorpio jobs so clean originals probably the better option if they can be found. My copy of Aco dei de madrugada came out the shrink wrap scuffed and with a noticeable warp.

Does anyone have his 1975 record with the Jazz Composers Orchestra - Echoes of Prayer? I’m wondering if the vinyl of that is any good?

Does anyone have his 1975 record with the Jazz Composers Orchestra - Echoes of Prayer? I’m wondering if the vinyl of that is any good?

Yes. Mine is JCOA/Virgin UK from 1974. Interesting record, star studded cast of players from Pat Patrick through Cecil McBee et al from the Jazz Composer’s Orchestra. Haven’t played it for a while, maybe later. Let you know if there are any problems with it.

The Virgin pressing of Echoes of Prayer is fine, although the recording sounds a bit thin lacking depth and ambience. Most JCOA recordings I’ve heard sound a bit the same. I’m always surprised at the range of compositional styles on this record and wonder why I don’t listen to it more frequently. The first section is a real tour de force, sounding like Louis Andriessen’s De Staat meets a Sun Ra drum orchestra - and you don’t get to hear a fusion like that too often.

The Virgin pressing of Echoes of Prayer is fine, although the recording sounds a bit thin lacking depth and ambience. Most JCOA recordings I’ve heard sound a bit the same. I’m always surprised at the range of compositional styles on this record and wonder why I don’t listen to it more frequently. The first section is a real tour de force, sounding like Louis Andriessen’s De Staat meets a Sun Ra drum orchestra - and you don’t get to hear a fusion like that too often.
Graham,
Thanks. Sounds worthwhile even with your noted recording reservations. I did stream it and agree, especially re the first section, hence my interest. Unfortunately the original I saw fairly locally at a decent price seems to have gone now. Couple on Discogs at various price ranges, but I think I will just keep an eye out for it at the moment as I’m over spent on recent purchases anyway.

advertisement

Back