advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

I've hit the jackpot with Blues Walk this month - a perfect pressing and perhaps the quietest to date.
Mine was as well. Excellent flat and very quite pressing. I have had any real problems with any of the ones I have bought, but that was not that many from the Classic’s. All my BN80’s were also very good. I know many have had terrible pressing problems so let’s hope the standard remains at this standard from now on since Optimal seems to have got its QC back on track.

I can't remember who wanted Max Roach - We Insist! Anyway it's on general release now. (Not Blue Note obviously - sorry if anyone objects to the odd random post here)

Just played my copy of Idle Moments. There’s non-fill a few times on the first two tracks. I wonder if the presses are just worn out and need renovating?

And thanks for the headsup. Just ordered the Max Roach and Dusty Blue.

Don Wilkerson/Preach Brother! spinning here, this balmy afternoon. Most enjoyable if not exactly boundary pushing. At all. Decent rhythm section though.
I was just typing about this myself when your post dropped in. The Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother arrived here today as well. I was going to pass on this at first as I had an earlier reissue I thought sounded pretty good, but I heard the Classic reissue sounded top rate. It does and it blows my earlier one away. I haven’t had many from the Classic Series as I had most in other mainly top rate pressings, but this Classic reissues is in that class. Real presence to all the musicians with great clarity throughout and an excellent deep sound stage.

As you say it doesn’t push any boundaries musically, but it is really enjoyable and the clarity in this pressing really opens up the rhythm section and emphasises the the contrast between Wilkerson’s very Alto like Tone on Tenor (almost McLean acerbic at times) and the warmth of Grant Green’s Guitar.

Nice totally flat and quiet pressing as well I’m glad to say.

I’m looking forward to the George Braith as well, that I had planned to get, but I cancelled a pre order on Amazon as the price stayed stubbornly above £27. I will get it from Honest Jon’s or Juno if the price doesn’t drop on Amazon in a day or two.

I was just typing about this myself when your post dropped in. The Don Wilkerson - Preach Brother arrived here today as well. I was going to pass on this at first as I had an earlier reissue I thought sounded pretty good, but I heard the Classic reissue sounded top rate. It does and it blows my earlier one away. I haven’t had many from the Classic Series as I had most in other mainly top rate pressings, but this Classic reissues is in that class. Real presence to all the musicians with great clarity throughout and an excellent deep sound stage.

As you say it doesn’t push any boundaries musically, but it is really enjoyable and the clarity in this pressing really opens up the rhythm section and emphasises the the contrast between Wilkerson’s very Alto like Tone on Tenor (almost McLean acerbic at times) and the warmth of Grant Green’s Guitar.

Nice totally flat and quiet pressing as well I’m glad to say.
Yeah absolutely, it’s an excellent pressing. I’m listening to George Braith/Extension now. Quality pressing thus far and a very cool sound. More interesting than the DW I reckon. There’s definitely a “peak period” for me for jazz…possibly 1965/68. Just enough invention over the standard bop, without going too left field. If you know what I mean!
Enjoying Billy Gardner on this, an organist I’ve never heard before.

And Grant Green is on tremendous form.

Fully agree with Ricky - i picked up extension! yesterday, and although I have streamed the album, i never really gave it a full listen before, which was a mistake

I am still not a big fan of Braith( Roland Kirk will always be my go-to for stritch and multi-reed experimentation), but do really like this LP, and Ricky was spot-on....Grant is sounding great, but Billy Gardner on Organ is what really stands out for me - on a couple of tracks on side 1 it sounds proggy enough to fit onto an early Genesis LP

It may not become an LP I play often...but then..hmmm...maybe it could....

An excellent package of records arrived today…including Wayne Shorter’s Adam’s Apple. It’s an immaculate pressing and sounds lovely. It’s almost borderline “corny” nighttime jazz, but the quality of the playing sees it through. Another great addition to this series.

My copy of Shorter’s Adams Apple also arrived yesterday. I have been looking forward to this one as I have always wanted a decent copy. I haven’t had a chance to play it yet, but visually it looks a good clean flat pressing. One oddity though is that mine is the first BN80/Classic that does not have the title on the spine? Bit of a pain if you file it in the rack especially if the sleeves continue like this. I passed on Larry Young’s Unity as I had the MM 2x45rpm of that. Is that missing the spine info as well? If not it is probably just a printing mistake?

Edit: I now see others are mentioning missing spine info on this one. LJC says original Blue Notes from years 1956 - 1959 did not have spine info, but Adams Apple was a 1966 release so they are not trying to imitate that. https://londonjazzcollector.wordpre...lue-note-covers-spine-lamination-and-address/ :p

Yeah I noticed the spine thing (just gonna have to know by it’s cat number, or “the one in the Shorter section with no title”!)…it’s complete on Unity.

Forgotten about the Larry Young, I’ve been after a decent copy of that forever. Ordered (Amazon link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Posted here in reply to @gavreid in the What are you listening to thread as a better place for it.
“How do you like it Jim? I thought I'd wait on that one with some great looking TPs just around the corner. The Turrentine is a great one though...”

The Turrentine Shirley Scott the one I passed on instead. I was going to pass on this Patton as well as, as I have said before, I’m not personally the greatest lover of Jazz organ with a couple of exceptions. I didn’t have anything with Big John as leader though so I took a punt on this. I’m enjoying it much more than I thought I might. I really like Patton’s original, but understated approach and organ sound on this and he leaves plenty of space for the other musicians. What I really liked was that both Harold Vick and particularly Grant Green have rich ‘fruity’ tonality on this that blends excellently with Hammond's midrange organ sound as recorded here. While none of it is ‘cutting edge’ stuff there are some really nice compositions and soloing and the whole thing does swing. Really top notch recording, mastering and pressing as well. Up to Tone Poet standards.

They seem to have reverted again to paper inner sleeves on this one, but at least I didn’t have the previous static problems with them this time.

advertisement

Back