advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

Thanks. Yes sometimes they are hard to find. I should have posted the links.
I have posted some links to new available to order Tone Poets in that thread because of the same difficulty. I posted links the Amazon France where they are cheaper. The Blue Note 80's are on Amazon Fr. as well, but probably about the same price or little more expensive if you include delivery.

My copies of Dexter Gordon - 'Doin Alright' and Herbie Hancock - 'Taking Off' have just arrived from Amazon, I passed on the Robert Gaspar. Well packed in mailers and large outer box.

Good news is the sleeves clearly credit Kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering and his Mark is also in the dead wax along with what appears to be the Optimal matrix number (I have yet to check the code). As KG@CA is in the dead wax this would indicate to me that the 'metal work' has been produced in the states and sent to Optimal rather than produced at Optimals plant in Germany from a tape or file. This would seem to confirm as has been reported that they are AAA transfers from the master tapes. My copies look perfectly flat and clean. Sleeves are not of the same highest quality as the Tone Poets, but perfectly acceptable for the price. They have unlined paper inner sleeves that seem to generate a lot of static when when you try to remove the record. I will quickly transfer to MoFi inners after a clean.

Bad news (for me) is I have too much on to actually play them for a few days, but at least things look promising.

My copies of Dexter Gordon - 'Doin Alright' and Herbie Hancock - 'Taking Off' have just arrived from Amazon, I passed on the Robert Gaspar. Well packed in mailers and large outer box.

Good news is the sleeves clearly credit Kevin Gray at Cohearent Mastering and his Mark is also in the dead wax along with what appears to be the Optimal matrix number (I have yet to check the code). As KG@CA is in the dead wax this would indicate to me that the 'metal work' has been produced in the states and sent to Optimal rather than produced at Optimals plant in Germany from a tape or file. This would seem to confirm as has been reported that they are AAA transfers from the master tapes. My copies look perfectly flat and clean. Sleeves are not of the same highest quality as the Tone Poets, but perfectly acceptable for the price. They have unlined paper inner sleeves that seem to generate a lot of static when when you try to remove the record. I will quickly transfer to MoFi inners after a clean.

Bad news (for me) is I have too much on to actually play them for a few days, but at least things look promising.

I bought all three.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a record with as much static as these three. It was impossible to remove the vinyl from the inner sleeve without gripping the edge of the record. They’re now cleaned and are on MoFi inners.

I bought all three.

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a record with as much static as these three. It was impossible to remove the vinyl from the inner sleeve without gripping the edge of the record. They’re now cleaned and are on MoFi inners.

Yes exactly the same. I was worried about scraping the vinyl. So not just my envoiroment then, there must be a problem a t Optimal that causes this. I hope it doesn't effect the playback. I'll need to give them a good going over with my Zerostat before playing.

Listening to Doin’ Allright it’s superb. A really, really good mastering and pressing. At this point I’m ready to buy anything in this, or the Tone Poet, series.

Having now listened to all three of the initial Blue Note At 80 releases I can only describe them as superb. The packaging may not be up to Tone Poet standard, but they’re excellent in their own right. If anyone’s sitting on the fence about buying any of these I can only suggest they try one. Though be aware you may well need to re-sleeve them, the same problems been reported on the Steve Hoffman forum and I’m wondering if the inner sleeves are just too tight rather than it being a static problem. .

I agree re SQ. Been playing Doin’ Alright and it sounds excellent, good pressing too. Strangely my copy was fine, static free - no problem removing it from the inner sleeve.

The next 3 in the series; Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin, Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame and Grant Green - Grant's First Stand are now available to preorder from Amazon at £20.42 each with a 14th June delivery. I have gone for all three.

The next 3 in the series; Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin, Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame and Grant Green - Grant's First Stand are now available to preorder from Amazon at £20.42 each with a 14th June delivery. I have gone for all three.

I've just got them saved to a wish list at the moment. I'll probably order them next month.

Cleaned and static removed - today is the the first chance I have had to give these first two in the series a proper listen. WOW! What do I say. I'm totally blown away, almost literally by Dexter on 'Doing Alright', these sound superb and possibly outclass the Tone Poets sonically. Many of those great moments from these when the HiFi totally disappears and you are one with the music. When played at realistic volume (I like loud) on 'Doing Alright' Dexter is in my room and I have never heard his sense of attack and big tone conveyed so well. Freddie is little further back in my room on the right and his horn is beautifully 'descibed' within the sound stage. Just the right amount of plate reverb added by Van Gelder.

Then you have the wonderful detail on this mastering extending into both the lowest and highest frequencies. Listen to how well this highlights the communication between George Tucker, Bass and Al Harewood, Drums on 'Society Red' even with them both positioned well back behind the soloists and my front wall you can hear the detail in Harewood's brush work. I think on some lesser Blue Note masterings and pressings I might have thought in the past that what I was hearing was tape hiss or noise. If there is a slight down side to masterings that are this good it's that these, and the Tone Poets, very accurately reflect what's on the master tape, so I find Horace Parlan's piano a bit 'weak', a pity as he adds nice contributions. I think this is what 'Elephantears' and I were picking up on the Tone Poet Sam Rivers with regard to balance. I think perhaps Rudy Van Gelder did not like piano players and only gave them more prominence if they were the leader, then he probably had to ;).

Interesting then to compare the above with 'Taking Off' where Herbie Hancock leads, the same type of line-up and some of the same musicians with Dexter and Freddie, but these with left / right positions reversed. An equally great, but differently balanced recording with the two horns a little further back in the mix and Herbie more forward and with more 'weight' to his piano. It seems there was much more of a decision by Van Gelder to treat this like a Ensemble rather than giving emphasis to a couple of great soloists backed by a rhythm section. Fully justified as some great playing by all.

My pressings of these two are both flat and noiseless, pretty much up there with the Tone Poet RTI's. It's only the sleeves on those that stand out as better, but the 80's are OK and costs needed to be saved somewhere and I can live with that as they are much cheaper. If the rest of the series is as good as these two then I'm in for them all, even if I already have another pressing of the album as I doubt it will be as good. I can't recommend these highly enough.

Last edited:
Picked up the Grant Green, Freddie Hubbard and Johnny Griffin today.

I haven’t played them yet, but while it was easier to remove the LPs fro their inner sleeves than the first three, there was still a fair amount of resistance.

I’ll take back what I said about removing the LPs from their inner sleeves. One was easier than the rest, but the other two were just as bad as the previous releases.

I’ll take back what I said about removing the LPs from their inner sleeves. One was easier than the rest, but the other two were just as bad as the previous releases.

I am not back home yet to see what mine are like this time, but I note that most people on Steve Hoffman are just cutting the sleeves off rather than risk scuffing the record trying to pull it out. Do you have. Zerostat? If you do Have you tried it a few times before removing the record?

I am not back home yet to see what mine are like this time, but I note that most people on Steve Hoffman are just cutting the sleeves off rather than risk scuffing the record trying to pull it out. Do you have. Zerostat? If you do Have you tried it a few times before removing the record?

This time I ripped them off. The LPs are going to live in MoFi inners, so it’s no great loss.

Missed this post, but Amazon now up to mid £30s on all Tonepoets. Unfortunately Alan at Jazzhouse seems to be having problems and delays obtaining them, and a friend tells me his prices are approaching £50 - but I haven’t had a chance to confirm this.

Missed this post, but Amazon now up to mid £30s on all Tonepoets. Unfortunately Alan at Jazzhouse seems to be having problems and delays obtaining them, and a friend tells me his prices are approaching £50 - but I haven’t had a chance to confirm this.

The next lot of Blue Note 80's, Lonnie Smith, Ruben Wilson and Bobbi Humphrey are on Amazon to pre order now at around £19.50 each, slightly less than those I mentioned above.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-VINYL-Lonnie-Smith/dp/B07R9J9DFL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=HOMF9FYFIUL5&keywords=lonnie+smith+think+vinyl&qid=1560697734&s=gateway&sprefix=Lonnie+smith+,aps,181&sr=8-1

For Tone Poets I paid about £38 on Amazon UK for Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor and I think my Gil Evans NBOW should be about £35, but I am not at home at the moment to check if that has arrived and my final bill. Cornbread on order at £37.36 at the moment. All only a couple of £'s cheaper this time on Amazon France so not worth going with them. As you say Alan at Jazzhouse and most other independent dealers are having trouble getting any copies at the moment due to shortage as insufficient being pressed in first runs for the amount of demand. Possibly some dealers are importing themselves direct from the states to get some and that would probably explain a £50 cost?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have just checked the 'supposedly' available from July 26th for delivery Tone Poets, Andrew Hill - Blackfire and Kenny Burrell - Introducing ..... and these are both available at guaranteed pre delivery prices of £30.42 each so a bit down from May and June Tone Poet guarantees. Similar price on Amazon France. It's impossible to figure out how Amazon's pricing alagarithm works. I particularly want both of these so will order them when I am back home.

advertisement

Back