advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

I’ll take back what I said about removing the LPs from their inner sleeves. One was easier than the rest, but the other two were just as bad as the previous releases.

All three of mine were nearly as heavily static charged as before, but I did as I had suggested above and zapped the inner sleeves slowly three or four times with my Zerostat and they then slipped out easily. Put them in MoFi inners alongside the paper ones in the outer sleeves.

Just starting to play through them now starting with Introducing Johnny Griffin in glorious mono. I'm a real fan of Griffin, but did not have this, but glad I do now. It's wonderful and the recording and mastering are superb. Never heard so much detail captured from his tenor when he plays at speed before or the 'power' and beauty of his tone as on the ballad 'These Foolish Things'.

This one at least is as quiet as the Tone Poets even in the dead wax. I'm starting to think these are a real bargain at getting close to half the price of the Tone Poets. I paid £40 on the weekend for a near mint Japanese Toshiba Blue Note, but I don't think it's as good as these are proving.

Stopping now as Freddie Hubbard's 'Open Sesame' in Stereo has just taken over the listening room. :)

All three of mine were nearly as heavily static charged as before, but I did as I had suggested above and zapped the inner sleeves slowly three or four times with my Zerostat and they then slipped out easily. Put them in MoFi inners alongside the paper ones in the outer sleeves.

Just starting to play through them now starting with Introducing Johnny Griffin in glorious mono. I'm a real fan of Griffin, but did not have this, but glad I do now. It's wonderful and the recording and mastering are superb. Never heard so much detail captured from his tenor when he plays at speed before or the 'power' and beauty of his tone as on the ballad 'These Foolish Things'.

This one at least is as quiet as the Tone Poets even in the dead wax. I'm starting to think these are a real bargain at getting close to half the price of the Tone Poets. I paid £40 on the weekend for a near mint Japanese Toshiba Blue Note, but I don't think it's as good as these are proving.

Stopping now as Freddie Hubbard's 'Open Sesame' in Stereo has just taken over the listening room. :)

I finally caved in and have just ordered the two you mention.....

I doubt that you will be disappointed, both are excellent. I have not played my third, the Grant Green, yet as I'm giving the S/H 1990 Toshiba Blue Note 'Lee Morgan Sextet' (1956 mono) that I brought on the weekend another spin. While it is very good and a very quiet pressing and I am happy to have parted money for it, it does not quite have the dynamics (although close) and sense of 'air' that the Blue Note 80's have.

I remember seeing lots of the Toshiba and King Records Japanese pressings in Ray's Jazz shop and Dobell's in the 80's and 90's for something like £10 - £12? and thinking they are expensive! If only I had the money to have 'filled my boots' then! :(;)

Last edited:
They arrive today, looking forward to it. I have to say I'm pretty much a Jazz beginner so would welcome some other suggestions in this series too if you have them :)

They arrive today, looking forward to it. I have to say I'm pretty much a Jazz beginner so would welcome some other suggestions in this series too if you have them :)
The Blue Note 80 reissue series only started last month. The original lists of what is coming in the next year that is linked at the start of this thread is now giving a 404 error (same for the Tone Poet link). Here is a new link that gives the forthcoming list.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/blue-note-new-reissue-series-blue-note-80/

Of the three from last month I would definitely suggest both Dexter Gordon and Herbie Hancock, both excellent. If you can only afford one get the Dexter Gordon. I passed on the Robert Glaspar it is a much later Blue Note and I was personally not too impressed with his music, but others rate it and the pressing. It is a double album so good value.

Of the forth coming ones you can usually find them on YouTube (or better streamed if you have it) to roughly check if you like the music, but of course they will be much, much better on this vinyl series and this does affect your appreciation of the music. The Penguin Guide to Jazz Records may also help if you are a real beginner and if you can find a copy.

Others here may be better able to advise on the next two months than me on ('Blue Grooves' - Soul Jazz) I interested in Lou Donaldson - Alligator Boogaloo and Donald Byrd - Ethiopian Knights. Plenty more goodies coming up from September.

Also see the Tone Poets thread, although more expensive and the Don Rendall, Ian Carr thread these are excellent British Jazz and fine masterings and pressing.

Hope this is of some help.

Also see the Tone Poets thread, although more expensive and the Don Rendall, Ian Carr thread these are excellent British Jazz and fine masterings and pressing.

I can’t recommend the Rendall/Carr recordings enough. The originals go for silly money, and the Jazzman rereleases are superb in every way. I bought one as a trial and have now bought all five.

Thanks both much appreciated. I have the lists and have read the posts just trying to get a steer, which I have now so thanks. I've listened to the upcoming releases on Qobuz and not sure if the bluesy/Soulsy ones are for me but will give them another go.... The two that came today are great but I had to cut them out of the sleeves so are now in the Nagaoka ones usually reserved for *after* cleaning :)

Mine arrived today. It is extremely warped! And incredibly charged with static. I still managed to play it, in spite of warp. The mono mix is excellent; very coherent. What I think of it musically may be another matter; I've not decided. I find there is a fine body and weight to Griffin's lower register, but I find him rasping and nasal from around about high B and above. Like you, I liked TFT, but with Lover Man I just felt there were too many damn notes. This was frustrating as I've wanted to find a really good tenor version of Lover Man for ages. So still undecided if I'm returning for a replacement or for my money back.

The Freddie Hubbard sounded promising. Will give it another spin over the weekend.

Currently listening to a Japanese (King) version of Donald Byrd's 'Fuego' which is excellent. Not dissimilar in weight, dynamics, and detail to the Music Matters copy of Shorter's 'See No Evil' I listened to before that.

Mine arrived today. It is extremely warped! Like you, I liked TFT, but with Lover Man I just felt there were too many damn notes. This was frustrating as I've wanted to find a really good tenor version of Lover Man for ages.

Sorry yours was warped. All of my 80's have been perfectly flat.

How about the Sonny Rollins and Colman Hawkins version of Lover Man on Sonny meets Hawk? Two great,tenors for the price of one.

The high static/tight inner has been a feature of all the 80s so far (I have them all). I’ve no idea why that’s the case, but I’ve put them in MoFi inners.

The high static/tight inner has been a feature of all the 80s so far (I have them all). I’ve no idea why that’s the case, but I’ve put them in MoFi inners.

Ever one I have brought have also been a problem. I am beginning to think that it has something to do with the particulate vinyl mix Optimal are using. I have noticed a couple have picked up a bit of static again when played even though zapped with a Zerostat prior to playing and these have all been in MoFi inners like yours. Don't think weather conditions have any bearing as they have been all over the place?

Ever one I have brought have also been a problem. I am beginning to think that it has something to do with the particulate vinyl mix Optimal are using. I have noticed a couple have picked up a bit of static again when played even though zapped with a Zerostat prior to playing and these have all been in MoFi inners like yours. Don't think weather conditions have any bearing as they have been all over the place?

I haven't noticed any new static - I wet clean all my new records and wonder if that helps long term (I can't see how).

Johhny Griffin replacement arrived. Warped again! Grrrrr Amazon. The top end of the tenor sounds better this time, so ignore any negative comments from my previous post: my cartridge alignment had gone a little astray.

I'll order a new one from Jazzhouse records this time.

Johhny Griffin replacement arrived. Warped again! Grrrrr Amazon. The top end of the tenor sounds better this time, so ignore any negative comments from my previous post: my cartridge alignment had gone a little astray.

I'll order a new one from Jazzhouse records this time.

Luckily all three of mine from the latest batch including Johnny Griffin, as well as those previous batch, from Amazon were perfect, but I note on the Steve Hoffman BN80 thread that a lot of people are complaining of warped or dished copies with all three. I hope we are not going to get poor quality control from Optimal and that they start to sink to the level of some of the BN75's. Although it was the United pressings that were the worst with these, most of my Optimals were OK.

Dished is the word, indeed.

Amazon have agreed to refund me without my bothering to return them, after I whinged, so this presents a dilemma. Do I keep the 'dished' but playable copies, effectively free, or order yet another set (from Jazz House), in the quest for perfection.

Dished is the word, indeed.

Amazon have agreed to refund me without my bothering to return them, after I whinged, so this presents a dilemma. Do I keep the 'dished' but playable copies, effectively free, or order yet another set (from Jazz House), in the quest for perfection.
Does it play without obvious problems? Do you use a record clamp or weight that can possibly help. Seems some people on SH are keeping them and I think some have had more than one bad copy. Blame is being attributed to Optimal not Amazon. So if it's not annoying keep it. It is a freeby.

advertisement

Back