advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

The other stuff is coming just fine but I’d chosen to have one (free) delivery once shing a ling was in stock. The mail today cancelled just that item as “no longer available”.... I need to check I’m not being charged for postage as my order is now under £50....
Martin, I missed there was free postage if over £50, not that I wanted any apart from pre orders. It makes the pre order items a good price, but given RTI are shutdown and Optimal on restricted working I can't see we will be getting most of those anytime soon so I'm not sure if it will work for that with no release dates and I think they take the money up front?

Amazon are quoting me 24th April for Money Jungle, but that is the one where the covers were accidentally destroyed and I'm not sure if Stoughton have reprinted. Of course Amazon are quite rightly prioritising more important deliveries. I'm happy to catch up with more plays of what I have already got.
Stay safe. :)

Last edited:
Apologies for thread disruption. I don’t have any of these Tone Poets but am embarking on a marathon Hank Mobley session in protest at Elephanteers characterisation earlier.

Apologies for thread disruption. I don’t have any of these Tone Poets but am embarking on a marathon Hank Mobley session in protest at Elephanteers characterisation earlier.

Tell me more - how do you disagree? I like him, I just don't find I'm blown away by him as a leader. But happy to be converted.

Martin, I missed there was free postage if over £50, not that I wanted any apart from pre orders. It makes the pre order items a good price, but given RTI are shutdown and Optimal on restricted working I can't see we will be getting most of those anytime soon so I'm not sure if it will work for that with no release dates and I think they take the money up front?

Amazon are quoting me 24th April for Money Jungle, but that is the one where the covers were accidentally destroyed and I'm sure if Stoughton have reprinted. Of course Amazon are quite rightly prioritising more important deliveries. I'm happy to catch up with more plays of what I have already got.
Stay safe. :)

Yes money up front there. What with everything going on I’ve lost track of my Amazon orders but think I preordered a lot of what came available but 24th rings a bell along with some due on the 17th still. I also preordered a Japanese double cd of Dylan singles too that’s had its date changed so I’m not holding out much hope there either.

As you rightly say though, bigger things to be taken care of as priorities and yes, stay safe too!

For someone who might have been characterised as a hard bopper from the Jazz Messengers line you rightly highlight what might be perceived as lack of projection or attack but I find as subtlety or even slightly melancholic. I think it is this contrast with his peers that’s sets him apart. I particularly like comparing him to Sonny Rollins who One feels can lift the world on his shoulders(Sonny is Sui generis of course). His playing is always very blues based and I particularly like his ballad playing. The 50s bluenotes even now don’t tire like much generic hard bop.Peckin Time is magnificent. His playing on Dizzy Reece star bright is tremendous. The later 60s stuff I always find worth playing over and over, much of it not released at the time and probably out of print now. Slice of the Top or Third World etc. He was utterly ignored for most of his career and perhaps I’m Buying into the legend and being overly romantic.

And Soul Station is one of the best of all the classic bluenotes. Trying to find a better description I find Michael James describing him as limpid or even winsome. From Modern Jazz 45-70-The essential recordings. A stellar guide if you can find the original. Mine is falling apart with overuse.

For someone who might have been characterised as a hard bopper from the Jazz Messengers line you rightly highlight what might be perceived as lack of projection or attack but I find as subtlety or even slightly melancholic. I think it is this contrast with his peers that’s sets him apart. I particularly like comparing him to Sonny Rollins who One feels can lift the world on his shoulders(Sonny is Sui generis of course). His playing is always very blues based and I particularly like his ballad playing. The 50s bluenotes even now don’t tire like much generic hard bop.Peckin Time is magnificent. His playing on Dizzy Reece star bright is tremendous. The later 60s stuff I always find worth playing over and over, much of it not released at the time and probably out of print now. Slice of the Top or Third World etc. He was utterly ignored for most of his career and perhaps I’m Buying into the legend and being overly romantic.

Thanks for this John; plenty of interesting recommendations to follow. I'll make this a bit of a project. I have been listening to Sonny a lot so it will be a big transition, but I'll think about your comparison.

Hmmm...not a big fan of Foreign Intrigue. Oh well can’t expect them all to be top notch. Basra, however, is very good.

The first of my lockdown binge at the BN sale arrived today - Brain Blade's Fellowship. I've seen Blade drumming quite a few times, most impressively as part of Wayne Shorter's band. I didn't order this straight away but gave it a few plays on Sonos and became more and more engaged by it. It is produced by Daniel Lanois ( whose sound world I don't usually like that much) and in places it is closer to ECM or the sort or records Michael Brecker was making in the 90s. I guess by the late 1990s,when this was recorded, that sound signature was distant history. It has my first encounter with steel guitars on a horn based jazz record and it does also have Jeff Parker playing on it which is nearly always a good things.

It's mastered by Kevin Gray. The pressing is OK - flat and mostly quiet with just a few pops and clicks along the way. I think this is one that will get a lot of plays. It wasn't super clean - I may need a record cleaner at some point in the near future...

My BN80 copy of Dexter Gordon a Swinging Affair has just arrived from Amazon so looking forward to spinning that soon. I'm told my copy of Jackie McLean, A Fickle Sonance is due on 17th. I already have another copy of that, but I'm expecting the BN80 to be better. Interesting to note that on Amazon the price has now been pushed up quite a bit on that.
Lee Morgan, The Rumproller still does not seem to be available to order despite still having the same 10th April release date on The Blue Note site?

I've really been enjoying 'A Swinging Affair' both for the music and the sound quality. Dexter is in great form especially on the ballads and the capturing of of his Tone on 'Until The Real Thing Comes Along' is just exquisite. Kevin Gray's mastering of the drum sound also seems to get better and better. Billy Higgin's is impressive on 'Soy Califa'.

And a bonus is they seem to have reverted to the static and trouble free inner sleeves at least for this one.

Lee Morgan - Rumproller and Jackie McLean - A Fickle Sonance BN80 delivered today by friend who owns local indie store. Got A Swingin' Affair yesterday along with The Prisoner TP. It's going to be a Blue Note weekend.

I got an email from Amazon today saying that there is a delay in trying to fulfill my A Fickle Sonance order that was due today. At this stage they can't give me an expected date.
Not too much of a problem for me as I have an earlier issue of this. I was just hoping for a better mastering & pressing as a BN80.

Did anyone get the Konitz Alone Together BN 80 who already had the CD? I've got the CD and think its a pretty good recording ( despite Mehldau occasionally needing a bit more restraint). Does the BN 80 reissue add anything to the CD quality wise?

Did anyone get the Konitz Alone Together BN 80 who already had the CD? I've got the CD and think its a pretty good recording ( despite Mehldau occasionally needing a bit more restraint). Does the BN 80 reissue add anything to the CD quality wise?

I have the CD as well and also think it's a pretty good recording so at first to lower my overspend on vinyl I thought I would pass, but I then weakened and ordered it from Amazon. They then sent the Lonnie Smith, that I also passed on,by mistake. I played the Lonnie Smith and it was more to my taste than I expected so I kept it and never got around to reordering the Konitz.

I should perhaps order it from the Blue Note store as it's now only £16.06 and there should be a further 20% off that with the Discount Code NOTE20?

Blue Note 19-Jun
Larry Young Into Somethin' 1LP 0602508525483
On 1964’s Into Somethin’—his first album for Blue Note—Larry Young made it abundantly clear that he had his own unique approach to the Hammond B-3 organ. Rather than the tried-and-true soul jazz sound so strongly identified with the instrument, Young explored more modal territory over the course of his six Blue Note albums including this tremendous session featuring tenor saxophonist Sam Rivers, guitarist Grant Green, and drummer Elvin Jones. The remarkable album cover design by Reid Miles made excellent use of a memorable photograph by Francis Wolff. This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal.
Blue Note 19-Jun

Kenny Dorham Trompeta Tocata 1LP 0602508525490
Kenny Dorham’s 1964 album Trompeta Toccata would be the final album that the great underrated trumpeter and composer would record as a leader, and it stands as a fitting testament to his prodigious talent. The album featured a stellar quintet with Dorham and his frequent collaborator Joe Henderson on tenor saxophone along with pianist Tommy Flanagan, bassist Richard Davis, and drummer Albert “Tootie” Heath. The brilliant album cover design by Reid Miles featured the bold typography that made his style so influential. This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal.
Blue Note 19-Jun

Andrew Hill Smoke Stack 1LP 0602508525445 On his second Blue Note album Smoke Stack (1963), pianist and composer Andrew Hill used an unusual line-up of two bassists (Richard Davis and Eddie Khan) along with the masterful Roy Haynes on drums. Blue Note founder Alfred Lion considered Hill to have as distinct and important a compositional voice as Thelonious Monk, and the seven Hill compositions that the quartet explore here contain all the rare beauty to be found in his music. Designer Reid Miles photographed Hill himself for the striking album cover design. This Blue Note 80 Vinyl Edition is all-analog, mastered by Kevin Gray from the original master tapes, and pressed on 180g vinyl at Optimal

I think the Blue Note discount code can only be used once. Tried to use it again and it wouldn't let me. Its not stated anywhere I could see.

advertisement

Back