advertisement

Blue Note 2019 80th Anniversary Series

Nice Tips on Herbie and Dexter, thanks! I need to get a strategy for these 80th releases. The ones I'm really looking forward to are in October, particularly Herbie's 'Inventions and Dimensions' and Joe Henderson's 'In 'n Out'.

Andrew - did you get the Inventions and Dimensions BN80? How is it?

I have just ordered two of the April BN80's, the Jackie McClean - 'A Fickle Sonance' & Dexter Gordon - 'A Swinging Affair' that are now available to pre order on Amazon for delivery on 10th April. Strangely the third April 10th release, Lee Morgan - 'The Rumproller' is not there as a BN80 only as the 2018 Elemental pressing, so be careful if you want this one as a BN80 as well. I'll wait to see if this appears later.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082PPJCNV/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I already have A Fickle Sonance as the RVG CD and a fairly poor vinyl pressing, but I'm hoping the BN80 will be better as the music is a favourite.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Andrew - did you get the Inventions and Dimensions BN80? How is it?

Sorry Deba that I never replied to this. I found this ok but not what I'd hoped. Others seem to have been appreciative but I was a little uninspired. When I get chance I'll compare to a Hi-res file on Qobuz. Have you any favourites so far from BN80 and Tone Poet?

Sorry Deba that I never replied to this. I found this ok but not what I'd hoped. Others seem to have been appreciative but I was a little uninspired. When I get chance I'll compare to a Hi-res file on Qobuz. Have you any favourites so far from BN80 and Tone Poet?

Cheers Andrew. Haven't got any of the BN80s yet but have a handful of the Tone Poets and of those, Dexter Gordon's Clubhouse really stands out

I had a listen to the next batch of Blue Note 80 releases on Qobuz yesterday and am looking forward to their release - especially the Brian Blade, who I admit was unknown to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing what Kevin Gray does with these as well. On pre order and still due 13th March I think. I'm also looking forward to the April batch as well, even though I have a couple on earlier pressings or CD. I was so impressed with what Kevin Gray did with the TP of 'Coming Your Way' that I thought I would double dip anyway. I have 'A Swinging Affair' and 'A Fickle Sonance' on Amazon pre order, but they are still saying the Rumproller is unvailable, so possibly a delay on that one?

Doing some catching up and listening to Lonnie Smith Live At Club Mozambique. Another stunning release, for both sound and performance, and I speak as someone who’s not a great jazz organ fan.

A bit disappointed that 'Poppin' is sold out at the sale price. I'm wondering if that's worth getting at the full price. Does anyone have this?

I've been making up my list for the sale, but it turns out most of the stuff I want is pre-order, so not on sale. It's looking to be a very pricey purchase.

A bit disappointed that 'Poppin' is sold out at the sale price. I'm wondering if that's worth getting at the full price. Does anyone have this?

I've been making up my list for the sale, but it turns out most of the stuff I want is pre-order, so not on sale. It's looking to be a very pricey purchase.
I have nearly all of the stuff that is in the sale, but the prices are very good compared to what I paid when released especially on the Tone Poets. I passed on just a couple on release that I have a good pressing of or don't really want. Like you all the stuff I want is in the pre order group, some that I have on pre order elsewhere and these are more expensive than my preorder prices if you include shipping.

I have Poppin and I think it's excellent for both sound and music. Great contributions from Art Farmer and Pepper Adams as well as Hank Mobley. I put a bit more in my post No. 480 in Tone Poets.
https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/tone-poet-blue-notes.225147/page-24

I have Poppin and I think it's excellent for both sound and music. Great contributions from Art Farmer and Pepper Adams as well as Hank Mobley. I put a bit more in my post No. 480 in Tone Poets.

Straying from the Tone Poet thread, but I listened to Poppin' on Quobuz this morning. I think it's good, but ultimately I'm not sure I'm totally convinced by such releases with Mobley as leader. There are certainly positives; it is a great band, and I love Pepper Adams. Mobley always has a perfectly finished and beautiful tone but, for me, he lacks projection and purpose. I think he works well alongside a great trumpeter, obviously on Miles's SMPWC, or a sharp and purposeful altoist like Jackie Mclean. But I'm not sure I've ever felt fired up by his sets as a leader.

I think he works well alongside a great trumpeter, obviously on Miles's SMPWC, or a sharp and purposeful altoist like Jackie Mclean. But I'm not sure I've ever felt fired up by his sets as a leader.
Well he leads on 'Hi Voltage' and '52nd Street' (formerly Mobley's Message) both with Jackie McClean, a real altoist favourite with me as well. 'Roll Call' with Freddie Hubbard on trumpet is pretty good as well. What do you think of those?

I have nearly all of the stuff that is in the sale, but the prices are very good compared to what I paid when released especially on the Tone Poets. I passed on just a couple on release that I have a good pressing of or don't really want. Like you all the stuff I want is in the pre order group, some that I have on pre order elsewhere and these are more expensive than my preorder prices if you include shipping.

Hi Jim, I ordered a few things in this sale, notably Mr Shing-a-Ling as I passed it by first time round but couldn't pass it up at under £19 although I knew it was on back order... Well I just had it refunded so bang goes that plan to get it cheap....

Hi Martin, I vacillated over that one at the time of release as I am not the greatest fan of organ Jazz, but in the end got it. Well recorded, but a bit of a curates egg for me with the side two tracks being much better than side one. What else did you get in this sale? Quite a few bargains to be had if there where particular things you wanted. Could you get away with paying just one postage / shipping for all those ordered?

The other stuff is coming just fine but I’d chosen to have one (free) delivery once shing a ling was in stock. The mail today cancelled just that item as “no longer available”.... I need to check I’m not being charged for postage as my order is now under £50....

advertisement

Back