advertisement

Big box of Decca

Basil - for me, my absolute worst vinyl was a Satie album which I was given (so couldn't take it back) that was ever so slightly off centre... Torture.

The Mahler 8 in the Decca box is my third (& best incarnation) of this recording. My 80s system couldn't cope with the vinyl, and the initial (double) CD release was not as good as this one. As a 'thing' though, it looks more rubbish every time.

palp

Nic - I used to have quite a large collection of Classical vinyl, bought new between the early 60s and the dawn of CD, which I loved dearly. Clicks and surface noise were either just there from the start, or appeared from nowhere as the years went by (and I have always been very careful with my stuff) I found that baroque and closely-miked instrumental music (harpsichord, guitar, cello etc) always worked well enough on vinyl - i.e. stuff which has a limited dynamic range, but then when you get to opera, Mahler (very much a composer of the CD age) and a lot else (especially stuff that goes mental in the last movement), I found it became a trial. I know that some people can completely ignore surface noise, and I envy them. For me it is like finding my seat at the Festival Hall and then noticing a bronchitic old man sitting purposefully with a large sheet of bubblewrap across his knees in the next row.

I completely understand the joys of collecting analogue vinyl (and the strokeable box sets & lovely librettos with readable typefaces)and also your point about analogue warmth (or colouration or whatever), but this Decca box shows that we really can have it all. In fact if every mini-sleeve was 'laminated with Clarifoil' then life would be completely perfect.

For me (and, I suspect Basil) once I had heard a classical CD, then really, that was it. So obviously superior in so many ways that I never bought classical vinyl again. My big mistake at this time was thinking that digital recordings would automatically be better, which was of course nonsense, and I've got some right old toss as a result, and now the majority of my purchases now seem to be older recordings.

palp

For me once I heard classical CD (in 1984) I was initially impressed but have continued to collect and listen to vinyl as my primary source ever since. Don't get me wrong, I have many CDs and quite a few that replicate the vinyl, but IMO CD just isn't as good at playing music. As I said earlier I have never been plagued by surface noise to the extent that it intrudes into my listening experience in any way. Any record that crackles enough to be slightly distracting is binned (or shelved if valuable).

Still, you're welcome to your opinion, so long as you don't fall into the trap of patronising those who don't share it. Plus, people like you getting rid of their records means more for me :D.

I will enjoy exploring the DECCA set as I own quite a lot of the recordings on SXL or re-issues. I'll get back to you if it convinces me to move away from vinyl ;). It probably won't.

Basil - for me, my absolute worst vinyl was a Satie album which I was given (so couldn't take it back) that was ever so slightly off centre... Torture.

The Mahler 8 in the Decca box is my third (& best incarnation) of this recording. My 80s system couldn't cope with the vinyl, and the initial (double) CD release was not as good as this one. As a 'thing' though, it looks more rubbish every time.

palp

Ah... off-center pressings, another of the delights of vinyl playback... I'd forgotten about that little gem!

Solti's Mahler 8, I haven't got round to playing that yet, I'll try and squeeze it in before tonights Tennis starts, for some reason the Australian Open always catches me out, so I'm on Melbourne time for the next two weeks... yawn!

Just got up and breakfast is on the cards!

Ok, where was I, oh yes... Mahler 8...

I never got round to replacing my lp copy of this, prefering Tennstedt and Sinopoli (I know, I know :) )

I am impressed with the playing time of many of the CDs from the Decca box, several are over 80 minutes, which I didn't think was possible with red book, but they play and rip ok.

'As a 'thing' though, it looks more rubbish every time.'

You mean the stark red & blue colour scheme, it is a trifle jarring isn't it? :)

C'mon then people I've the Decca box in front of me, which disc shall I put on for a Sunday morning whilst doing the painting??

Would the Decca box be a good buy way in for a classical noob?

I am always paralysed by choice and lack of knowledge with regard to classical and was wondering whether this might be a nice way to sample a wide range of high quality performances.

Would the Decca box be a good buy way in for a classical noob?

I am always paralysed by choice and lack of knowledge with regard to classical and was wondering whether this might be a nice way to sample a wide range of high quality performances.

Hmmmm, I'd have to say no, there are a good few pieces for the newbie, but an awful lot you might never play more than once...

My suggestion is d/l all the pod-casts from Radio 3 web site of 'Building a library' from CD review.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bal

Hmmm it is good, but have you heard the Karel Ancerl - Czech Philharmonic Orchestra performance on supraphon?

Yes, Ancerl is always good but the Mackerras is right up there. I`m about halfway through my box now, in a slightly haphazard way. No real dissapointments although i`m not likely to play the new year`s concert - too much of the wrong type of Strauss. Particularly liked the Ansermet and who knew that Barber wrote a violin concerto that is exactly not like his adagio? The Kertesz Dvorak is very good, especially like the reproduction of the 1961 LP cover with the New World symphony still marked as the No.5.

I haven't Basil and I shall take note....Czech authenticity??

Oh yes, if, and I repeat, if, you like that sort of thing...

One problem, they don't seem to be available on a single disc at the moment... so it's £21 for the pair...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karel-Ancerl-Gold-Vol-24-Jan%C3%A1cek/dp/B00008UEF7/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1329918219&sr=1-11

Unless you can find this copy:

IMG_0946.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Yes, Ancerl is always good but the Mackerras is right up there. I`m about halfway through my box now, in a slightly haphazard way. No real dissapointments although i`m not likely to play the new year`s concert - too much of the wrong type of Strauss. Particularly liked the Ansermet and who knew that Barber wrote a violin concerto that is exactly not like his adagio? The Kertesz Dvorak is very good, especially like the reproduction of the 1961 LP cover with the New World symphony still marked as the No.5.

Oh it's fun, the audience is at times, louder than the VPO!

Have you played the Three Tenors disc?

The '61 Kertesz Dvorak 9 with the VPO is seriously better than the later one in the complete cycle, I think...

Oh and don't forget the Tielman Susato - Dansereye 1551 by Philip Pickett and the New London Consort...*

*Oh wait, weren't you there for the original performance?

;-)

Oh and don't forget the Tielman Susato - Dansereye 1551 by Philip Pickett and the New London Consort...*

*Oh wait, weren't you there for the original performance?

;-)

B****y cheek - just because I can remember Muffin the Mule....

Not played the three Tenors yet but I will. Another disc which I didn`t expect to much enjoy was the Solti Ring as I`m not usually taken with compilations when I already have the complete work. In fact it seems a not bad way of condensing 16 hours into 82 minutes.

B****y cheek - just because I can remember Muffin the Mule....

Not played the three Tenors yet but I will. Another disc which I didn`t expect to much enjoy was the Solti Ring as I`m not usually taken with compilations when I already have the complete work. In fact it seems a not bad way of condensing 16 hours into 82 minutes.

Has that been legalised?

Be not to miss the bit from 'Cats' on the 3 Tenors cd!

Yes, the Solti ring sampler is excelent, can't believe how good the sound is. I have the first analogue vinyl re-issue which is nasty, very, very bright and glassy.

I tried one of the Testament Joseph Keilberth - Bayreuth Festival Orchestra ones but the noise is just too much for me...

advertisement

Back