advertisement

Best tracks - acoustic guitar

Johnny Cash - 'Hurt'

Technically, this is not difficult to play. So, if you're looking for mastery of the instrument, this isn't one that will impress. There's even a bit of overload distortion at the end, although otherwise it's decently recorded.

But that all misses the point of music, doesn't it? It's one of my favourite songs, anyway.

Obscure Durutti Column B-Side:-

...very well recorded - great Hi-Fi demo track.

I remember reading an article that the Mayor of Cordoba (Spain) brought an exquisite handmade Spanish Flamenco Guitar over for Vini as a present.

Some of the Mayor’s pals were big Durutti Column fans and Manchester was twinned with Cordoba. So these guys got this Spanish Guitar maker to custom build this guitar for Vini.

Sadly when the Mayor arrived in Manchester - Vini said he was too busy being ill to meet the mayor to collect the guitar.

But thankfully Bruce Mitchell convinced Vini that he really should make the effort and go meet the Mayor and collect the Guitar. This video is in Spanish but Vini and Bruce tell the tale at about the 25 minute mark:-

Hi, steveinspain, my copies are on the Philips label, 9500 563, and the picture on the front is of a couple, with a child, and the man is holding a rabbit upside down. Oh, and there is a woman kneeling, holding a rose. There is also a quotation by Jaoquin Rodrigo.
It's by Neville Mariner & ASMF, with Pepe Romero, Concerto de Aranjuez, and Los Romero's, Concerto Andaluz.
I bought my first copy in the 1980s, and my second earlier this year, I think, from Discogs.
I also have Famous Spanish Guitar Music, Pepe Romero, Philips 6514 381.
Hope this helps, and good luck.

Hi, steveinspain, my copies are on the Philips label, 9500 563, and the picture on the front is of a couple, with a child, and the man is holding a rabbit upside down. Oh, and there is a woman kneeling, holding a rose. There is also a quotation by Jaoquin Rodrigo.
It's by Neville Mariner & ASMF, with Pepe Romero, Concerto de Aranjuez, and Los Romero's, Concerto Andaluz.
I bought my first copy in the 1980s, and my second earlier this year, I think, from Discogs.
I also have Famous Spanish Guitar Music, Pepe Romero, Philips 6514 381.
Hope this helps, and good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain so fully - much appreciated !
I'll set to finding a copy.

HMM, seems to be unavailable as far as I can see, so I might have to go for this as it seems to be the closest one -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KQGOC2/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Windham Hill is full of great acoustic guitarists but Michael Hedges is the one that gets all the plaudits. Much as I like him, I am a huge fan of Alex Degrassi, William Ackerman and Robbie Basho too.

Also, if you can find a copy of Asia Minor by Peter and Clive Sarstedt, you may like that too although it isn't pure acoustic guitar.

Martin Simpson... brilliant guitarist, new album Rooted is very good
for loads more ideas look at the Folk/Acoustic thread
Mac

advertisement

Back