advertisement

Best tracks - acoustic guitar

Martin Simpson... brilliant guitarist, new album Rooted is very good
for loads more ideas look at the Folk/Acoustic thread
Mac

Many years ago when I was at school (so about 33 years give or take) Martin came and played as he was a friend of one of our teachers. A magical evening; just him a guitar and 15 of us singing along to 'Grinning in your face'.

This old fellow is a legend for good reason. This is the "Columbus Stockade Blues" by Doc and Richard Watson; some fine finger work goin' on here...

Here's another guy that's not too bad. Norman Blake "Whiskey Before Breakfast"...

Cheers

Thanks for the reminder, steveinspain, as I also have this CD, also on Philips, 438 016-2, but had forgotten it, as well as the LP, and they are different recordings. They both have Concierto de Aranjuez, but the LP only has Concierto Andaluz, whereas the CD has several other recordings. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that CD.
A search on Discogs shows three mint copies of the LP, priced in Euros, but no versions from the UK.
But, if you mainly want to listen to Concerto de Aranjuez, by all means get that CD, and then search for other vinyl version later?
Incidentally, if you like that work, are you aware of the brass band version (Concert de Orange juice) from the film Brassed Off? And there's some really great music from the OST, too.
Enjoy your music.
Geoff.

Thanks for the reminder, steveinspain, as I also have this CD, also on Philips, 438 016-2, but had forgotten it, as well as the LP, and they are different recordings. They both have Concierto de Aranjuez, but the LP only has Concierto Andaluz, whereas the CD has several other recordings. I don't think you'll be disappointed with that CD.
A search on Discogs shows three mint copies of the LP, priced in Euros, but no versions from the UK.
But, if you mainly want to listen to Concerto de Aranjuez, by all means get that CD, and then search for other vinyl version later?
Incidentally, if you like that work, are you aware of the brass band version (Concert de Orange juice) from the film Brassed Off? And there's some really great music from the OST, too.
Enjoy your music.
Geoff.
Thanks again Geoff - your help is much appreciated !

Gordon Giltrap. So many great tracks and a unique style. Try Down the River.

And ...a guest on the forthcoming Who album.

Bob

Not forgetting Martin Taylor, great guitarist, several albums for Linn, still available to download, perhaps?
And Andres Segovia, the man they all learned from.

Many years ago when I was at school (so about 33 years give or take) Martin came and played as he was a friend of one of our teachers. A magical evening; just him a guitar and 15 of us singing along to 'Grinning in your face'.

Wow! what an experience.
Mac

Pretty much anything by Rodrigo y Gabriella - their cover of Stairway to Heaven is pretty impressive.

Remember Martin Simpson playing the Rockingham Arms folk club in Wentworth- he was fantastic.

Adrian Legg...

71vTDUpNxrL._SS500_.jpg

advertisement

Back