advertisement

Best system to go with Yamaha NS-1000's?

33cm? Pah! Computer speakers ;)
Yeah, but as I speak, the titchy 12" drivers in my current speakers are causing the windows to audibly reverberate... I think a few more litres and an extra cm or two would work rather well ;)

ETM:
It's been a really hard day, I need some instant gratification, so NS10000 pron required RIGHT NOW!

Indeed Joel

Its a double shit monday here in strasbourg with rain and grey skies. However me and the missus made up on saturday with some customary double bonky bulgarian barn sex...so its not all that bad.

The 10k's arrive this afternoon if BAX is to be trusted....for amps i have on hand the KR Antares 320, Tom Evans Soul (sorry!), Leben, Berning, Shindo Corton, Shindo Aurieges preamp and some other stuff which i can't remember or clap my eyes on. Won't be able to Shindo them until my new voltage converters arrive.

ooo....sun just came out....i feel a delivery is imminent.

For NS 1000, Yamaha's own MX series HCA class A amps do a swell job, one needs a quality CD player like Yamaha CDX 1050, Accuphase DP 70 and you have smooth efortless and accurate sound.

I'd have thought a WAD 6550 or KAT88 (very similar) would be superb with the Yams. Both are solid, bold sounding amps and very similar in presentation to a good SS but without the fatigue and hardness of SS. Bass form the 6550 gives a NAP250 a good run - it has chunky well designed output tranformers to give tight dynamic bass.

Dragging up a very old post on an old thread, but just wanted to say you were spot on Robert.

I've variously used the Densen as an integrated - good but a bit harsh and toppy on some recordings; a WAD K5881 power amp (with the Densen as a passive pre and a couple of other passive pre kits - Pot and stepped atenuator, and the active pre side of an old Sansui) - much smoother but bit a bit wobbly on the bass notes occasionally - still capable of showing the differences in the different volume controls.

And yesterday got my hands on a KaT88. Ooer, the Yams like this indeed :) Currently using The Densen as a passive, but have an old Beard Ca506 pre coming my way to try - see how a valve driven active pre fairs - interestingly it's switchable passive or active withs separate voulme knobs for each - so a direct passive v active comparison should be pretty easy.

The KT88s seem to be a bit cleaner in the mid and top and so far seem to be able to do the stop/start thing in the bass end that the k5881s seemed to not quite manage. The bass is the best I've heard the Yams do in fact.

One initial observation I have noticed is that there seem to be bigger improvements in vinyl replay with this setup than in CD replay. Maybe its an impedance matching thing with the passive pre. CD seems a bit edgy -certainly a bit more so than the K5881, vinyl is clean as a whistle. better brains may be able to advise.

PlanetZany.
Please try this little experiment for me. Remove the Midrange units
and swop the + and - connections Yellow and Black leads over.Replace the units and do a thorough listening test,and let me know your conclusions.
Thanks JIM.

I am bidding on a two owner pair of NS1000m's locally now.
I have set a very pessimistic ( as a buyer) maximum auto -bid , and expect to frustrate the hell out of all other bidders.They can't win, but they can drive up my buy price if they are malicious idiots.

I used these for running discos in the 1980's and I've promised the current owner that I'm going to thrash them to within an inch of their lives.

Well, I've stopped bidding on them. Price now up to NZD 2040 , just over 720 GBP . Astonishing ! Two horse bidding war on TradeMe . If he wants them that badly, he can have them

Here in Sweden where they are quite common a fair price level seem to be around £500 - £600 judging from what has been for sale in recent time.

JohanR

That would be about right for the UK as well, you might pay a bit more for really minty pair and more for the slightly prettier "domestic" NS1000 models.

advertisement

Back