advertisement

Best streamer

Bluesound NODE 2i @ £550 is an excellent bit of kit and should do everything you need.

If you don’t mind multiple boxes a Pi Hat like the Allo + RME ADI DAC is great or pair it with an older used Rega DAC-R which is fab and might suit you better.

Literally there’s too much choice these days :)

The Bluesound is one of the options I am looking at, thank you for your thoughts

The Bluesound is one of the options I am looking at, thank you for your thoughts
There are different versions, the older Node 2, newer Node2i and the latest version which is spelled in capitals NODE, I’ve had the oldest version and just put the newest NODE into my office system, too long in between to comment if the NODE sounds better, it is better specified/featured and more powerful.

There are so many high value streamers out there that easily compete with much more expensive standalones. Depends on what you like the look of.

Linn started making streamers back in 2007 so they were well ahead of the curve.

You can buy a second hand Majik DS for around £550, it will still be updated to the latest software over the internet for free and the Linn app is very good.

And now, everybody else has caught up and replicate the sound of the Linn’s for less. That’s technology for you.

Linn started making streamers back in 2007 so they were well ahead of the curve.

You can buy a second hand Majik DS for around £550, it will still be updated to the latest software over the internet for free and the Linn app is very good.
Not much cop if you need to run that DS by Wi Fi though? I wasn't taken with the Linn App/Environment when I tried it a wee while ago but will give their new top end one a home demo next year.

From the Linn manual --> wireless is only recommended by Linn for control of your DS player, not for actual streaming of music​

You can buy the wireless dongle to plug into the back of the DS, it works fine, buy them in Currys.

That Linn manual is well out of date, I know a few people who use either wireless or a mains adapter and both work fine.

If you can run a laptop or Macbook by wireless a DS will have no issues.

My Yamaha is great on both. Had no stability problems and no discernible differences in sound quality. Interestingly though I seem to be spending more time listening to my fm tuner nowadays.

You can buy the wireless dongle to plug into the back of the DS, it works fine, buy them in Currys.

That Linn manual is well out of date, I know a few people who use either wireless or a mains adapter and both work fine.

If you can run a laptop or Macbook by wireless a DS will have no issues.
I'm all network cabled up so never tried a dongle, Linn aren't on their own preferring cables, dCS do too. Auralic say the opposite and prefer you to use Wi Fi. Buying a streamer these days I reckon most would assume the thing they buy will do WiFi.

I am contemplating buying a streamer to link in to my stereo so do not need integrated amplifier or speaker , I would also like to play stored files. Interested in suggestions, thank you
These might meet your requirements and allow you to dip your toes in the water quite inexpensively.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-ste...box-duet-network-streaming-devices/1366251901

These ads usually run for about 28 days on Gumtree so it will end soon. He is amenable to separating them so may well be open to posting too. They look in nice condition and still have their packaging. FYI I am in no way known to the seller. Cheers

advertisement

Back