advertisement

Best streamer

MFX101

I am contemplating buying a streamer to link in to my stereo so do not need integrated amplifier or speaker , I would also like to play stored files. Interested in suggestions, thank you

Thank you for your interest, broadly i am thinking in the region of a £1,000, I would be happy with a good cheaper budget option or to go a little higher for the right result.

What’s the rest of your kit? My streamer is about £250 worth in to £15k of amp and speakers. Streamers really are at the bottom of the bang for your buck improvement, most folk couldn’t tell you the difference between an Rpi4 and a dcs bartok in a blind test. Either that or I’m deaf.

What’s the rest of your kit? My streamer is about £250 worth in to £15k of amp and speakers. Streamers really are at the bottom of the bang for your buck improvement, most folk couldn’t tell you the difference between an Rpi4 and a dcs bartok in a blind test. Either that or I’m deaf.

Rega aethos amplifier & PMC twenty 22 speakers

I think I will need a DAC and an analogue out, thank you
Bluesound NODE 2i @ £550 is an excellent bit of kit and should do everything you need.

If you don’t mind multiple boxes a Pi Hat like the Allo + RME ADI DAC is great or pair it with an older used Rega DAC-R which is fab and might suit you better.

Literally there’s too much choice these days :)

Rega aethos amplifier & PMC twenty 22 speakers
How computer literate are you? You could do worse than trying a Logitech Touch if you already have music files stored on a computer. Install LMS on the computer with your files and off you go for less than £100. Yes the touch is old tech but they still just ‘work’. This will give you an insight in to what is possible with streaming for very little outlay and you can always recoup the cost if you move on to something else. I still have a touch connected to my system just to display the album art, it’s synched to my rpi4/digione.

How computer literate are you? You could do worse than trying a Logitech Touch if you already have music files stored on a computer. Install LMS on the computer with your files and off you go for less than £100. Yes the touch is old tech but they still just ‘work’. This will give you an insight in to what is possible with streaming for very little outlay and you can always recoup the cost if you move on to something else. I still have a touch connected to my system just to display the album art, it’s synched to my rpi4/digione.

I am reasonably comfortable with IT but am leaning towards a stand-alone streamer

advertisement

Back