advertisement

Best streamer

Allo Digione Signature + Shanti PSU or one of the Auralic Aries versions.

This!

I have this and it’s been spectacular. It’s hard to imagine getting better sound out, I’m sure it’s possible but I’m not sure just how much better things could sound.

Playing this through a Qutest, Luxman 505 and Proac D20R’s is all I need from a digital source.

Having deliberated the matter for some time, I'd decided to dip my toe in the water of HQ streaming. I'd more or less decided on trialling a Bluesound Node, but having developed the (admittedly over-fussy) desire to have a unit that displayed album artwork I re-set my sights on the possibility of a Cambridge Audio CXN (v2). I took myself off to Richer Sounds in the hope of getting the 'live' experience, and heard one hooked up to a pair of AE active speakers. My naïve reasoning was that if it sounded good in this environment, then it should work well through my Naim DAC.

I have to say that I was super-impressed with it's sound capability and functionality - the CA StreamMagic App was intuitive and easy to use without any prompting. I was enjoying the experience, just as my eyes were drawn towards a special 'Open Box' deal on this: www.richersounds.com/cambridge-azur-851n.html

Having had it hooked up to listen to, I didn't even wait for the first track to finish before my bank card was drawn from it's holster and the deal was struck. For just £200 more that the CXN it seemed to me to be a complete no-brainer.

I've been really happy with it so far.

In my system the IFI stream has been a step up in SQ from an Aries Mini. The downside is that the app is cut down version of Volumio......

Reactions: ask
User interface is the most important aspect of a streamer for me, then select the DAC of your choosing

User interface is the most important aspect of a streamer for me, then select the DAC of your choosing
This, if you can’t find your music the way that makes sense to you then everything else is immaterial. Another thing to look out for is gapless play. I tried an Audiolab streamer a couple of years ago and was astonished to find that it didn’t do gapless play which is, admittedly, more important for classical music listeners but I understand also essential for Pink Floyd’s DSOTM.

I will try and get a few pics of the dongle later.

Hi,

Ok so I have been busy for a day.

These are the devices I have used, ok so it is not called a dongle, it is called a Nano Router, all these technical terms who gives a........

The Nano Router plugs into the back of the streamer using the Ethernet cable and there is a small power supply that gives it power from the mains or using a usb port on your laptop or anywhere else that has USB.

It then uses wireless to connect to your main router thereby giving your streamer, if it does not have onboard wireless, the ability to wireless connect to your wireless system from your house router.

The Nano router is the TP-Link Wireless N Nano Router Model No TL-WR802N

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/3g-usb-adapter/tl-wr802n/

I also have used and they still are in use Powerline Adapters. TP-Link below to choose any one (ok so you need two :p ) to suit your requirements.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/

The easiest solution is the Power Line Adapters, you plug one of them into the mains near your HiFi, you will need mains to power your HiFi, and then plug the other into the mains near your house router and have a ethernet cable from the plug up to the router and that carries your data through the house wiring to the other Powerline Adapter near your HiFi where that plug receives (and transmits) the data up to your streamer again through an ethernet cable from the main router.

Simple really, the Nano Router is really when you don't want to use the mains wiring, but there is no audible difference when even using the same power sockets to power your HiFi, but I am sure other will tell you there is a huge difference..........

Cheers

John

The great beauty of the Auralic for me is that so long as it has an ethernet cable connected there is no need for line of sight. You can put it; in a draw, on a shelf behind something, anywhere you like and it steams perfect data to your DAC. Invisibility is an underrated virtue.

Does it put nice creases in your trousers too?

The Cambridge streamer mentioned above looks very good, as does the new Cambridge Audio Evo 150, which seems to do everything that a Linn Selekt DSM might do, at less than half the price. Is the Linn worth the higher price? And are other older units that have been sold at premium prices - like the Weiss MAN301 - now effectively obsolete?

Even if I find units like the Evo 150, or Naim Nova / Linn Selekt attractive, the main question I have is whether they are destined to become obsolete every 4-5 years, and whether it might be better to get a good quality DAC, and use a decent laptop or computer to do everything else that the streamer does?

I am in the process of trying the Ifi Zen Stream, or I would be if I could get past the bar code that fills the screen, when trying to download their app.How is a bar code scanned which fills the screen? The zen blue gives the opportunity to type in the QR number, but rejects the number on the side of the bar code on the Stream. Just gives the bar code and the instruction, scan. I am afraid I am a commuter illiterate. Any help gratefully received.

I think if you install a 'qr scanner' on your phone from google play you should be able to scan the barcode.

I am in the process of trying the Ifi Zen Stream, or I would be if I could get past the bar code that fills the screen, when trying to download their app.How is a bar code scanned which fills the screen? The zen blue gives the opportunity to type in the QR number, but rejects the number on the side of the bar code on the Stream. Just gives the bar code and the instruction, scan. I am afraid I am a commuter illiterate. Any help gratefully received.

I’d take the No. 5 if I were you.

This, if you can’t find your music the way that makes sense to you then everything else is immaterial. Another thing to look out for is gapless play. I tried an Audiolab streamer a couple of years ago and was astonished to find that it didn’t do gapless play which is, admittedly, more important for classical music listeners but I understand also essential for Pink Floyd’s DSOTM.
And absolutely vital for live Grateful Dead recordings!

Thank you all for your thoughts I have decided to go with a Bluesound Node as it seems to offer all the features I am looking for.
I’m sitting here listening to the latest Node, streaming hi res from Tidal. I’ve not heard better.

advertisement

Back