advertisement

best speaker ( 10k euros range) to match with for Naim electronics

Hi Gary
I would also find it hard to criticise DBLs as a choice, other than on the subjective criterion of aesthetics (is it domestically acceptable) and would check on feasibility of placement (against a solid wall)

Not sure of availability where the OP lives.

Brilliant speaker though.

Hi all,
last Monday I had the opportunity to listen to an all Naim system of a friend (pre, xps, nap 250, ndx....).
The speakers were from a German manifacturer, MBL, model Corona 126, omnidirectional

Well you have to abandon many of the things you "know" (or in my case I thought I knew) about loudspeakers, starting from the aesthetic of them.
Suffice to say my first comment about them was: "they are really ugly!"

But then, he switched the whole thing on... and the 40 sq/mt of the room were literally filled everywhere with music...

We spent ours listening to classical and jazz mainly (but with some "injections" from doors, pink floyd, cure and many others).

I can only recommend a listening if you have the opportunity, because I know I'm not good enough with words to explain the magic I heard.

Concerning the price? They sell in the range of 8.000€ the pair.

EDIT:
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/mbl-120-loudspeaker-and-corona-line-electronics/
However the review is of the pricier 120 model

I would like to suggest you a completely different solution: High-End DIY
I believe in keep it simple and use top class parts.
Take one of the best and easy to handle tweeters: Scan Speak Berillium
Take one of the best and easy to handle midrange: ATM 75-150
Take the best bass: also Scan speak or ATM
MONITOR 50 TL BE
Put it in a good TML Box. Use a aktiv XO.
Enclosures are available in wood or slate. So at the end of the day you just have to put the parts togehter.
thats 2800.- EUR for the parts, 1300.- EUR for the wood cases (double for slate) and 400.- for the activ XO. of course you need a second stereo amplifer.

regards
f.s.

Some of those look nice, do you own a pair?

You owe it to yourself to listen to Naim SL2s.

available at ridiculous prices and a great match for the NAP300. You could get an NDS with the change!

SJB

SL2's on the end of a NAP 300 is just "Magical"

You owe it to yourself to have a listen before you part with any money

With the OP's budget I would suggest adding Monitor Audio PL300s into the mix... work well of the back of my LP12, Naim, Avondale set up.

Look at Shahinian Obalisks. Holographic sound stage but Naim amps may struggle to drive properly.

^ +10 but Naim just cannot cope. I tried I really did then by accident a pinky fishy introduced me to Meridian 559s. An absolute steal at the price ( use 2 each bridged) and bring Obelisks to life. Of course you can pay more and may even get better results like Passlabs, Bryston etc etc. The Obs 2 are a substantial improvement over the originals. Oh and they contain 8 drivers per speaker!

Cheers,

DV

But the OP asked about a speaker to work with his Naim amps, so no point talking about a speaker that doesn't really work at their best with them. I would agree that they don't too, had Ob's here last week and on my Naim gear, SL2's left them in the dust.

JBL M2 should without doubt be on the audition list
http://jblpro.com/m2
Circa. £6500 iirc.

Greg, the M2 European price is €24K a pair sadly - even importing from the States they touch €20K.

What the OP might want to look for is a used pair of JBL K2 9800.

Paul Messenger, a lifelong user of Naim, maintains that they are one of the finest loudspeakers he has ever reviewed - and I get the impression they are a personal favourite.

One of the very few loudspeakers I would sell my Focals for.

Greg, the M2 European price is €24K a pair sadly - even importing from the States they touch €20K.

What the OP might want to look for is a used pair of JBL K2 9800.

Paul Messenger, a lifelong user of Naim, maintains that they are one of the finest loudspeakers he has ever reviewed - and I get the impression they are a personal favourite.

One of the very few loudspeakers I would sell my Focals for.
Mike, thanks for the clarification. Not entirely sure which bit of my brain I plucked £6.5K from. I also completely forgot that the pricing includes a Crown IT5000HD amp per speaker, so not on topic as OP wants to retain Naim amps.

I'd add though that searching around today I found this site which claims a UK price (inc. VAT) of £5,040 per single speaker (I've contacted them requesting confirmation) http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/jbl-m2-single

Edit: I just received confirmation that they can supply the M2 in the UK and the price is correct. Theoretically it seems like an awful lot of Yes for £10K, (though more than €10K).

Mike, thanks for the clarification. Not entirely sure which bit of my brain I plucked £6.5K from. I also completely forgot that the pricing includes a Crown IT5000HD amp per speaker, so not on topic as OP wants to retain Naim amps.

I'd add though that searching around today I found this site which claims a UK price (inc. VAT) of £5,040 per single speaker (I've contacted them requesting confirmation) http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/jbl-m2-single

Edit: I just received confirmation that they can supply the M2 in the UK and the price is correct. Theoretically it seems like an awful lot of Yes for £10K, (though more than €10K).

I think the dealer doesn't know the product at all.

Here's a quote from the main European dealership, based in Germany.

We can order order them for you. It would cost 7199 € per unit (incl 19% German VAT).

You will need one amplifier per monitor which would cost 5290 € per unit (incl 19% German VAT).

The total for 2x monitors + 2x amplifiers would be 24.978 € (incl 19% German VAT)

A shame as they will supply from the US for £13K plus £1K shipping. Vat and would bring that up to £17K or so - still 20% less than the Euro price.

Anyway, not of concern on this thread - but the K2 with Naim is supposedly remarkable.

Hi Mike, Richard at at Music Matter said they have a demo pair available to borrow (subject to appropriate deposit, at a cost of £100 for carriage and insurance. Their webpage states the price includes the amp, so I am now somewhat more sceptical of their stated price.

I've requested confirmation.

(I had a quick look at a credit check on their company and whilst small, it seems to be established and growing)

Finally had to give in and allow my wife to buy our Martin Logan Summits, worked well with my Naim kit, except for the fact at silly volumes (again, her, not me...) they would shut down my CB NAP250.
You won't ket Summits for 10k euros, but you may find happiness further down the range.
Certainly don't need a sub with the Summits!!!

Lavi,
You have already spent a lot of money and want to throw a lot more at the hifi escalator of endless 'upgrades'.
Before you do I suggest you listen to entirely different equipment such as valve amps, horn speakers and electrostatic/ribbon speakers.

Hi all,

thanks for your suggestions.
On Friday, I am going to the dealer nearby and will listen to the following speakers on my Naim electronics
1) Sonus Faber Guarnieri Memento (Foot Tapper has convinced me to give it a try!)
2) Sonus Faber Olympica 2/3
3) Marten Miles 5 and Django speakers

Never heard the MArten speakers, look forward to making comparative demo!

Louis

advertisement

Back