advertisement

best speaker ( 10k euros range) to match with for Naim electronics

lavi

pfm Member
Hi all,

I am thinking about upgrading my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors M for a better speaker. I have a REL G2 sub which I want to keep. Therefore I am looking for a great floorstander which goes to at least 40 hz( but lower may not be needed as the REL will cover the gap).

I listen to light electronic music ( Air, Syd Matters, Daft Punk) but also to acoustic stuff ( Guitar, piano, etc).

Ideally, I woild want a speaker that can play well all types of music. Transparency, tonality, imaging and dynamics are all virtues I am looking for. I also want a speaker that matches well with Naim amplification ( I have a Nac252/tsc/Nap300). Speakers need to look good otherwise my wife may request a divorce.

My search so far as shown the possible speakers could be worth a listen( all around 10 000 euros)
-Sonus Faber Olympica 2
-Neat Ultimatum SLi
-Kudos Super 20

What other brands should I consider in my search?

Which one would you recommend most?

Thanks all,

Louis
-

My search

Louis,

My friend has the same amps as you and he uses Neat Ultimatum MF7. This is very impressive system and I could recommend Ultimatums with confidence.

Please note, that I do not particulary like neither Kudos nor SF.

I do like the Neat ultimatums, I assume you mean the floorstanding XLi? Not everyone will like what they do however, and even more essential than usual to try in your own room too, those upward firing supertweeters can do funny things in some rooms! Not heard a lot of speakers at those sorts of prices, but the B&W 802Ds and Linn Accubarik have made good first impressions and I have been very happy with more modest B&W and Linn speakers in a more modest Naim system so would think that worth a try.

Louis, have you discussed this with your wife? Have you told her that you intend spending 10 000 euros on a pair of speakers?

Have you put it to her that you could spend 1000 euros on speakers that will look unfashionable but sound better than speakers that look fashionable and cost 10 000 euros? And that you would split the savings with 4 500 euros going to you and 4 500 euros going to her for her to spend on anything she wants?

Just thinking, on today of all days, it'd be nice to get her full and honest thoughts and feelings on this major purchase decision.

I wonder if with that kind of budget, and the large size of many speakers available within it, you need to persevere with a sub-woofer at all.

Louis, have you discussed this with your wife? Have you told her that you intend spending 10 000 euros on a pair of speakers?

Have you put it to her that you could spend 1000 euros on speakers that will look unfashionable but sound better than speakers that look fashionable and cost 10 000 euros? And that you would split the savings with 4 500 euros going to you and 4 500 euros going to her for her to spend on anything she wants?

Just thinking, on today of all days, it'd be nice to get her full and honest thoughts and feelings on this major purchase decision.

Absurd idea!

I would like to suggest you a completely different solution: High-End DIY
I believe in keep it simple and use top class parts.
Take one of the best and easy to handle tweeters: Scan Speak Berillium
Take one of the best and easy to handle midrange: ATM 75-150
Take the best bass: also Scan speak or ATM
MONITOR 50 TL BE
Put it in a good TML Box. Use a aktiv XO.
Enclosures are available in wood or slate. So at the end of the day you just have to put the parts togehter.
thats 2800.- EUR for the parts, 1300.- EUR for the wood cases (double for slate) and 400.- for the activ XO. of course you need a second stereo amplifer.

regards
f.s.

Perhaps he just has an amazing wife and she's given him €10k for his speaker budget as a valentines gift!

You guys are so funny! I admit I have a nice wife who accepts my "little addiction" to hifi.

I think it is a good point that my sub may no longer be needed if I get the right speaker. Point well taken...

A DIY is not for me though...

Neat Ultimatum is tempting...and I know they seem to pair well with Naim.

How does the new Ultimatum series (Xli, Xl6?) compare with the older models (M5, m7?)

Do Neat speakers image well?

You really need a speaker that works well in your room, or be prepared to treat the room acoustically and experiment with placement.( you and the loudspeakers)
Keith.

I'm in a similar position to you, in that I'm looking to replace some SF Cremona Auditor Ms, albeit using different amplification.

Of the speakers I've tried so far, my favourites have been: Sonus faber Olympica I and II (surprise!), Vivid V1.5, Audiovector S3i Avantgarde Arrete, Dali Epicon 6 (OK both the Audiovectors and Dalis are floorstanders, but they each do standmount models in the same ranges).

TBH if you really like your Cremonas, I think you're likely to end up staying with SF.

Matt

Matt,
what's wrong with your Cremonas?
Seriously curious, I was considering them, but chose a totally different path.

How about the SP Acoustics SP1 Signature? It has had excellent reviews in HIFI Critic, What Hi-Fi (Oh no) and Sound on Sound

http://www.spacoustics.co.uk/SP1.html

Steve Phillips, the owner/designer used to be the chief of design at AE and worked at ATC too. He is now also the senior designer at Kurt Mueller, the world’s largest OEM speaker drive unit manufacturer.

http://www.kurtmueller.com/

Steve has designed his speakers to work both at home and in the pro studio. His professional monitors now grace several UK and London recording studios and are very highly rated. They are all custom built and so you can have any finish you (or your wife) would like.

Charlie

Matt,
what's wrong with your Cremonas?
Seriously curious, I was considering them, but chose a totally different path.

I'm going to take a guess that they are just a bit too smooth for some music. I have the original auditors and that's how they are - They sound absolutely wonderful with jazz but when you put on some rock, you do have to put up with their "polite" presentation of everything. I can't imagine them doing punk at all :D

I tried some of the new venere's but, though very impressive, to my ears they are missing that SF magic. From what I've read the Olympicas are very, very good. I saw (but not heard) some at a dealers and they are perhaps the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen.

Lavi: I expect you've seen the thread on the Wam with a chap in exactly your situation?....(SF Crems to Olympicas)

One set of speakers that deliver on musical involvement across a wide range of genres are Tannoy's DC10T:

tannoy_dc10t.jpg

The DC10Ts also deliver in the lower regions so a sub is not essential unless some of the music played demands extension down to around 20Hz. Also, the DC10Ts have a relatively high sensitivity at 92dB so will not require kilowatts of power but their impedance does dip at certain frequencies to just over 3 ohms, so your amp needs to deliver current on demand - both of which fit your Naim NAP300.

The best way to summarise the performance of the DC10Ts is that, irrespective of the music genre, they provide an extremely enjoyable musical experience. Using these to enjoy music is what the designer intended and they do this exceptionally well although critical "audiophile-listening" will identify a few - in my mind - minor flaws in detail presentation and in low bass resolution (but I've found similar problems with D700s that turned out to be amplifier-dependent and moving to an amp with a low output impedance and consequently a high damping factor solved the bass resolution issue).

I'm not sure of the Euro pricing level but the current UK price seems to hover around GBP5,250.00 per pair, so you may even get some change from your €10k... :)

As has been mentioned, I would also strongly recommend a home audition to ensure that they work for you in your system, your listening environment and with your taste in music. (I don't think you'll have any problems with WAF - these are gorgeous).

Dave

I'm going to take a guess that they are just a bit too smooth for some music. I have the original auditors and that's how they are - They sound absolutely wonderful with jazz but when you put on some rock, you do have to put up with their "polite" presentation of everything. I can't imagine them doing punk at all :D

I tried some of the new venere's but, though very impressive, to my ears they are missing that SF magic. From what I've read the Olympicas are very, very good. I saw (but not heard) some at a dealers and they are perhaps the nicest looking speakers I've ever seen.

Lavi: I expect you've seen the thread on the Wam with a chap in exactly your situation?....(SF Crems to Olympicas)

No I have not seen it...what is Wam? Can you send the link?

You owe it to yourself to listen to Naim SL2s.

available at ridiculous prices and a great match for the NAP300. You could get an NDS with the change!

SJB

advertisement

Back