advertisement

Best Radio 3 stream for Volumio/Pi

Moode Audio (moodeaudio.org) supports your IQAudio dac hat and has 320 kbs streams in its radio tab as standard. Latest version 7 just out for you to try:)

I will set a reminder for next New Year's Eve.

The die is cast now, we have been streaming Radio 3 with Volumio for 28 hours non stop now, 8732 to go.

Or, you could just instal Moode which has 320kbps streams for all the main bbc stations configured out of the box.

This seems to work on my RPi3 & Allo / MoOde7 setups...

http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_6music.m3u8

I'm quite amused by this concept of "single station 24/7 inputs" to the preamp - OK, so my NAT05 is set up for R3, but obviously has a preset for R4, and presets for other. er, lesser :p stations.

But inputs 5 & 6 on my NAC82 are unused, apart from tape out to my Headline, and I do have a a couple of RPIZeros with DAC HATs doing nowt ........:)

Sounds to me like a "Lockdown 3 project" :)

Am I right in thinking that R6 is "internet only"?

Since this thread, I have been considering something similar to @suzywong idea, but my Rpi run through a dac with multiple switchable inputs, as well as some with their own dac hats into amps in other rooms.
My concern is does leaving the pi running radio output permanently potentially cause any damage to the inputs of the dac or amp, when the inputs are switched to another source?

@mercalia thanks for the get_iplayer link - that looks super useful!

Under windows 10/8 once installed you get a number of shortcuts on the desk top. The one that opens the control webpage is Web PVR Manager. It takes a liitle time to understand the quirks of the program but then its easy to use. It also works for tv but as I dont have a tv licence have never tried that feature. The programmes it downloads have no time restrictions. Not need any longer to record programmes in real time as I used to in my minidisc days

Under windows 10/8 once installed you get a number of shortcuts on the desk top. The one that opens the control webpage is Web PVR Manager. It takes a liitle time to understand the quirks of the program but then its easy to use. It also works for tv but as I dont have a tv licence have never tried that feature. The programmes it downloads have no time restrictions. Not need any longer to record programmes in real time as I used to in my minidisc days

I had a play with it yesterday on my Macbook. The first show I downloaded (a Radio 3 program) had some quite noticeable audio glitches which is annoying! Not sure what happened so will investigate further when I get a mo.

I had a play with it yesterday on my Macbook. The first show I downloaded (a Radio 3 program) had some quite noticeable audio glitches which is annoying! Not sure what happened so will investigate further when I get a mo.

I am new to it, hearing about it from a cycling forum no less, so dont have a great deal of experience but I only ever use it to record spoken word which seem ok. I use an ethernet connection rather than wifi. what type of glitches?

Since this thread, I have been considering something similar to @suzywong idea, but my Rpi run through a dac with multiple switchable inputs, as well as some with their own dac hats into amps in other rooms.
My concern is does leaving the pi running radio output permanently potentially cause any damage to the inputs of the dac or amp, when the inputs are switched to another source?

To be fair it was @raysablade who had the idea, but following your post, I've just remembered (Doh!) that my nDAC has got three spare inputs........

Perhaps a new thread, polling which stations to have on permanent send? Three Pi's...
I vote Scala, 6 Music and Paradise mellow feed.

To be fair it was @raysablade who had the idea, but following your post, I've just remembered (Doh!) that my nDAC has got three spare inputs........
To be fair my idea is slightly more rarified. I am restricted to one press of the power button between me and music. The input selection having been set to 3 prior to switching off.

It was to support the idea that I spend seven days a month not interacting with a screen.

tomorrow is the first of those days.

PS Two days in it is working immaculately. The power bank is holding steady at 100% charge.I’ve pulled the mains plug to test resilience and it has no impact. I’ve not looked at the Volumio screen after navigating away from it on New Years Eve

@Jim Audiomisc has mentioned this in several threads, including, iirc, a short "how to"

Maybe a forum search will find the info o_O

ronnie

FWIW for BBC radio my default is to fetch items after they are broadcast using get_iplayer. This gets 320k aac. Given a fast internet connection only takes a few seconds per programme. No problem with any gliches during replay using your preferred audio/AV program. (I tend to use Audacity or VLC to play the results.)

I used to get problems with 'live' streams from iPlayer in the distant past. That's probably fixed now, but I've not bothered with it for years.

Alas, can't help with installing/using get_iplayer on a Mac as I use Linux. Someone else may be able to help with that. There is also an email list for get_iplayer users to exchange help / info.

The BBC now have a number of 'archives' of old programmes you can get this way. For Video/TV get_iplayer also means I can 'dodge the cap' on my net use limits by getting programmes before 9am wthout using up any of the amount allowed. in effect fetching 'off peak'.

is this a Mac problem? I have downloaded ( Windows 8.1) and listened to about 30 files mainly from 4 extra but a few from the Early Music show and they play alright. I suppose the program is some kind of hack of the BBC? I remember when there used to be a progam called Radio Downloader

https://nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/

a few years ago (2013) that did much the same job as the Get iplayer, It had been available for many years until the BBC introduced their own iplayer service and sent a desist notice to the creator so it got nobbled to only download podcasted items.

The BBC's "request" to desist from downloading bbc shows
https://nerdoftheherd.com/news/2013/06/26/radio-downloader-and-bbc-radio/

What made me laugh at the time they puffed out their breast that the new iplayer service heralded a service that was better than any before , yeah right now that they had got rid of the better opposition.

advertisement

Back