advertisement

Best Intro Ever

Speaking of TOTP which bunch of musical degenerates was only allowed to play on it once (despite several hits) because they provided a real threat to the social fabric of the country? Their truly magnificent intro on this song was based on SOS by Abba. If anyone wants to say it is indeed the greatest intro of all time I won't disagree.

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant

Great intro

Intros are my thing, must have a short attention span. So, my turn....
Sex Pistol, Anarchy In The UK (there's a live version where he bellows "get off your arse" over the opening chords)
Genesis - Watcher of the Skies
Kraftwerk - Autobahn (when the bass synth kicks in)
Yes - The Revealing Science of God (before the singing on the extended version)
Rainbow - Stargazer

But for me.... nothing beats this and probably never will.

Pink Floyd - Careful With That Axe Eugene @ Brighton Dome 29 June 1972

The album version don't even come close to this live performance. It's on another level.

Speaking of TOTP which bunch of musical degenerates was only allowed to play on it once (despite several hits) because they provided a real threat to the social fabric of the country? Their truly magnificent intro on this song was based on SOS by Abba. If anyone wants to say it is indeed the greatest intro of all time I won't disagree.
Was it Chicory Tip?

Very often we overlook the most obvious answer sitting under our snouts. Some of the most memorable intros have been the work of the UK's best-ever singles band - The Rolling Stones. Think about it - Satisfaction, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, Street Fighting Man, Tumbling Dice and Gimme Shelter.

Any doubts, then wrap your lugs round this,

Like the cover image- Rampton Christmas party 1972?

It's an amazing thing. That picture though does not do the outfits justice:
chicory-tip-0d6e420f-9425-41bf-a786-dd6338ddbfe-resize-750.jpeg

They're rocking that "Brickie feeling uncomfortable in glitter, glam and eyeliner" look that was pioneered by Paul Thompson and Trevor Bolder.

Two more that spring to mind

The Cabs is just so nasty and noisy and the Cardiacs has a f**king epic chord sequence.

advertisement

Back