advertisement

Best 3 albums bought this year ?

It's been a year of having my hifi packed away, but I'm moving it back in this weekend hopefully - but the upshot is that I haven't bought much.
Probably it's like this:
Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire
Miranda Lambert - Revolution

Three spring to mind, all 2011 releases.
1. Graveyard, Hissingen Blues
2. Rival Sons, Pressure and Time
3. Foo Fighters, Wasting Light

At least my list is different to the others!

I do have England Shakes, dont like it.

Tony

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation
Girls - Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Real Estate - Days
Cults - Cults

Early doors! Can't believe people are calling time on 2011 in the middle of the most fertile release period of the year.... I've got high hopes for loads of stuff yet to be released/delivered/heard. Much anticipated new releases from Russian Circles, Black Dog and Epic 45 are in the post.

Laurie Anderson- Homeland...... Chillingly right for the times.

PJ Harvey- Let England Shake.

Philip Glass- violin concerto.

Early doors! Can't believe people are calling time on 2011 in the middle of the most fertile release period of the year.... I've got high hopes for loads of stuff yet to be released/delivered/heard. Much anticipated new releases from Russian Circles, Black Dog and Epic 45 are in the post.
Yeah, but come late December most of us will be too busy eating & drinking & fox will have his plate full entering a pony.

Youth Lagoon - The Year of Hibernation
Girls - Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Real Estate - Days
Cults - Cults

This looks interesting - not some old hairy arse going on about Iron Maiden. Will investigate.

Three ladies . .

Deeper- Maria Neckham (Sunnyside). A very hip little jazz singer and composer/arranger from Austria currently residing in Brooklyn by way of an ashram from the sound of her lyrics. She has a unique gift for what notes go where and a perfect group for what she is doing.

Maria Schneider- Sky Blue (Artists Share). Wonderful orchestrations and playing reminicent of Gil Evans.

Angela Strehli- Deja Blue (House of Blues). Good and clear HDCD recrding of the best white girl blues singer I have ever heard. Get a load of the title track and the crackling guitar player, Mike Schermer.

Beach Boys - Smile Sessions
Patricia Barber - Mythologies
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator

Civil Wars : Barton Hollow
Allison Krauss & Union Station: Paper Airplanes
Allison Krauss & Union Station : Live

All on the black stuff

The 2 new releases I've played the most this year are;
Metronomy - The English Riviera
Aiden Moffat and Bill Wells - Everything's Getting Older. The standout track is Copper Top and the video is on You Tube. My attempts at posting the link were unsuccessful!

I think this might be one of the best things I buy this year, even it is extortionately expensive AND there's another part to come:
http://boomkat.com/vinyl/475077-demdike-stare-elemental-parts-one-and-two-quad-gatefold-packaging

advertisement

Back