advertisement

Best 3 albums bought this year ?

wacko

pfm Member
I have bought very little this year. I suppose my 3 are:
1. Magnificat - Thomas Tallis
2. Orient Occident - Arvo Part
3. End Times - Eels

I would struggle with remembering what I have bought this year. Will work on a 2011 top 3 shortly.

Adele '21'
Tom Waits 'Bad As Me'
PJ Harvey 'Let England Shake'

All Vinyl

The Arvo Part is excellent. I have and can recommend lots of his stuff.

My three (all vinyl and all ones I've bought this year rather than released this year):
1. Dire Straits, Love Over Gold, 1982 first Quiex promo pressing
2. Frank Sinatra at The Sands with Count Basie and his orchestra, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab
3. Charlie Haden and Chris Anderson, None But The Lonely Heart, Naim records

Misty in Roots - Live at the Counter Eurovision

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

Demdike Stare - Tryptych

Edit: I've opted for fav' three records bought in 2011, but a lot can happen in seven ish weeks. :)

Flipping heck - a threads gotta have rules or we will just start listing some records we like quite a bit.

But I will have the PJ Harvey and the Waits on a 2011 list - probably.

Tricky but limiting myself to 2011 releases I have:
Decemberists - The King Is Dead
PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
Midlake - The Courage Of Others

Clearly in something of minority here, but I think 2011 has been the best year for new music for quite some time.

3 new records might include-

Colin Stetson:New History Warfare 2
Alexander Tucker: Dorwhich
Tim Hecker : Ravedeath 1972

and then there's the Miles Davis bootleg series - old but new if you know what I mean.

But could list another dozen straight off.

Most of the good stuff I've enjoyed has been well away from the mainstream. Not much has impressed involving guitar/bass/drums ( the PJ Harvey record is pretty good but is my least favourite of hers). Given the 4 I've named in my 3 already, the records I think I'll still be playing in 20 years are J Mascis's "Several Shades of Why", and Bill Frisell's "Sign of Life", both of which seem are low key, acoustic and slightly understated but are just lovely and have been played an awful lot for most of '11. Then here's the Thurston Moore record, the Josh T Pearson record, the new Gillian Welch, Waits. Bjork, Destroyer, John Maus, the Weeknd download, I've not got the new Oneohtrix Point Never yet but that may join the list, the new Bonnie Prince Billy... and plenty I've forgotten. I'll struggle to cut it down to a top 10 tbh.

As I say, I think 2011 is the best for some time.

Kevin

No particular order of the 3 released this year that I have bought

Metronomy - English Riviera
Numero Group - Pressed at Boddie (RSD 2011 release)
King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine

All vinyl

Ezio "Black boots on latin feet" and old album an ex used to have and I eventually got round to buying it, go see them live their great.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd " How I Go" ok someone bought that one for me but still one of the best i got this year!

Bombay Bicycle Club "Flaws"

Closely tied with another vote for Eels End Times.

Oddly enough I actually only bought about 8 or 9 albums this year! must be my age but getting to a point where I rarely hear anything that stands out that isnt very much like something ive already got so sort of lost interest in listening to music and started playing it more instead (Guitar!! pity my neighbours!)

Ezio "Black boots on latin feet" and old album an ex used to have and I eventually got round to buying it, go see them live their great.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd " How I Go" ok someone bought that one for me but still one of the best i got this year!

Bombay Bicycle Club "Flaws"

Closely tied with another vote for Eels End Times.

Oddly enough I actually only bought about 8 or 9 albums this year! must be my age but getting to a point where I rarely hear anything that stands out that isnt very much like something ive already got so sort of lost interest in listening to music and started playing it more instead (Guitar!! pity my neighbours!)

Like this reply. I've been working through the previous choices and have not rushed out to buy anything yet but I live in hope... and I gave up guitar at 15 after hearing Santana/McLoughlin...

I've bought very little new stuff this year, though I tend to be a good few months behind the curve as I tend to find the stuff I like from the best of year lists from Rough Trade, Piccadilly Records etc, which only come out in December - armed with these I then hit Spotify... I'll add my best of year pics sometime in January!

Get Well Soon - Sarahbeth Tucek
Bach Sonatas and Partitas for Unaccompanied Violin - Rachel Podger
Karma - Pharoah Sanders

Only the first was released this year.

Elogia de la Sombra-Master Musicians of Bukkake
Dead Magic-Dead Skeleletons
West-Wooden Shjips
All released this year (and dead serious too).

All old stuff:

The remaster of God Bless The Red Krayola and All Who Sail in Her is an excellent improvement on the Radar LP that, for many years, has been my only reference of this recording. This blew me up and away. Songs and playfulness. Mayo Thompson is a hero.

A Japanese copy of Pop Tatari by The Boredoms with it's original sequencing surprisingly revealed the real joy of this recording – having ignored the US copy I've had for 15 years in favour of their other early work. I couldn't believe it took another pressing of this CD to unlock it for me – but it worked.

I belatedly just got Sung Tongs by the Animal Collective. Inventive songwriting and arrangements. With it's light touch and heart it makes me smile all the way to work. Easily their best work – along with Feels.

And that leaves no room for SMile, which unfortunately I OD'd on long ago.

Um...Best three albums downloaded? Classic Iron Maiden stuff....Non-brickwall remastered Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1995 EMI Holland), Powerslave (1995 EMI Holland) and The Number of the Beast (1995 EMI Holland)...For their live renditions off the second disc and to compare them to the 1998 EMI Europe remasters...

advertisement

Back