advertisement

Best 3 albums bought this year ?

I don’t buy so many albums on a whim anymore, I usually give them a try on Spotify first to make sure I like it. Anyway, only album purchased this year of note which is Bohuslav Martinu – The Epic of Gilgamesh. How I haven’t had this in my life for the last 15 years I don’t know!

Gillian Welch: The Harrow & The Harvest
Kate Bush: 50 Words for Snow

and best of all ..............Rome by:

Credits

Musicians

Gegè Munari - Drums and percussion
Dario Rosciglione - Upright and electric bass
Luciano Ciccaglioni - Acoustic and electric guitars
Antonello Vannucchi - Celesta, harpsichord, organ and piano
Roberto Podio - Percussion
Gilda Buttà - Celesta and harpsichord
Cantori Moderni - Choir
Jack White - Vocals ("The Rose with the Broken Neck", "Two Against One" and "The World")
Norah Jones - Vocals ("Season's Trees", "Black" and "Problem Queen")

Recording and arrangements

Danger Mouse - Production, arrangements, mixing
Daniele Luppi - Production, arrangements, mixing, orchestra, and choir conductor
Fabio Patrignani - Engineer, mixing

Yeah, but look at the shiny shiny vinyls. I just hope part two isn't out until late Jan when my finances have recovered...

You're safe...
Boomkat said:
Made up of four parts: Chrysanthe, Violetta, Rose and Iris, parts One and Two are now available and come housed inside a lavish quad-gatefold book style cover that will hold all four parts when the series is complete early next year.

I'm in :)

I don't know Ed, early next year could be anything from the first week of Jan to Feb ish.
I was going to order next week but I see they've put it at the top of newsletter so it'll probably be gone by then.

I've bought very little new stuff this year, though I tend to be a good few months behind the curve as I tend to find the stuff I like from the best of year lists from Rough Trade, Piccadilly Records etc, which only come out in December - armed with these I then hit Spotify... I'll add my best of year pics sometime in January!

Tony....I don't know whether to say Thanks or to curse you, I went on the Piccadilly website and for the price of a few stamps they sent me two samplers as well as their recommendations from the past year.

Trouble is I want nearly everything on the discs, I now have a wants list as long as your arm.....:eek:

I have a weird "best records of the year" cycle. I buy a good amount of vinyl, but rarely do any of them end up being my favorite records from that year. I tend to go back over the previous year, decide which albums I "sampled" via MP3 were the best and the buy all those.

In 2012, Ill definitely be buying these 3:

Peter Evans Quintet - Ghosts
Andy Stott - We Stay Together
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Mirror Trash

Honorable mentions to:
Noveller - Glacial Glow
Ford & Lopatin - Channel Pressure
a Bee Mask album whose title escapes me
The Three Lobed vinyl box set (purchased)
Pete Swanson - Man With Potential
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
The Caretaker - An Empty Bliss something or other...
half of Wilco's newest is excellent, especially the title track
Sun Araw - Houston Abstros 7"

Danger Mouse - Rome
Other Lives - Tamer Animals
Lymes - Goodbye Bangkok

Really encouraged by members' choices here. I was expecting more soft rock, classical, jazz than this.

:)

advertisement

Back