advertisement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Audio product which really floats your boat !

Most hifi is not attractive, anything that is too big for the job is very ugly.

If I was going to go for something, it would be something cute:

2184-CAS4040.jpg

Hi fi should be heard and not seen!!

... I have the matching tuner in the shed :)

(like the minimalist approach - not crazy about the push button shape though)

The silver finish is unusual. More modern then the bronze of later models. I also like the 405, it's bigger but maintains the aesthetic. I especially like the way the heat sink relieves the front.

8252520790_be8384e4de_c.jpg

More a muted matt metallic grey than silver in reality, the photo upthread looks very over-exposed to me. Not that rare either, IIRC all 306s are grey, probably about half 34s and a fair few 44s and 405-2. I’ve even heard rumour that there was an exceptionally rare grey 303, but I’ve certainly never seen one.

PS Thankfully it is a nice high quality paint finish unlike the 606 which appeared around the same time in that god-awful furry nextel crap. That being the reason the 606 is not sought-after, if they weren’t covered in sticky goo they’d be a highly desirable amp!

8252520790_be8384e4de_c.jpg

More a muted matt metallic grey than silver in reality, the photo upthread looks very over-exposed to me. Not that rare either, IIRC all 306s are grey, probably about half 34s and a fair few 44s and 405-2. I’ve even heard rumour that there was an exceptionally rare grey 303, but I’ve certainly never seen one.

PS Thankfully it is a nice high quality paint finish unlike the 606 which appeared around the same time in that god-awful furry nextel crap. That being the reason the 606 is not sought-after, if they weren’t covered in sticky goo they’d be a highly desirable amp!
This design is decades old but still look up to date ! Amazing !

Dual CS-5000 TT

DSC_7100.jpg

DUAL-CS-5000-turntable-exclusive-design.jpg

A look of quality and restrained elegance meets high tech kinda thing to the eye of this beholder. They were actually not that expensive, around £250 including cart IIRC.
Beauty is unfortunately very much only skin deep with these though.... go inside and it's all plastic mouldings and very cheap looking.

Last edited:
Had a pair of Albarry M1008s with Shahinian Compasses. Two of my favourite 'lookers'....... the casually bonkers nature of all this means that I obviously no longer have either and wish that I did. :)

A woodburner, exposed brickwork, great-looking vintage speakers and a rug. What more could anyone need?

50528126683_688dda3f16_z.jpg

Lovely, but at least yours is a real wood burner.. mine is a nice looking faux one. Guess what I'm looking at to replace the the Kans...? Cheviots and the Kans go into the bedroom on the end of a Denon micro system to keep going for another 35 plus years hopefully.

I must confess my tastes have become more conservative with age and these days the only thing I would like to see is a tablet on a table with the speakers soffit mounted in false walls with a finish to match the rest of the room and the electronics tucked away in a cupboard.

When I was younger in the 70s I would have quite fancied the look of a system consisting of Gale GS401 speakers, Lecson amp and tuner, and Beogram turntable but not so much today.

I must confess my tastes have become more conservative with age and these days the only thing I would like to see is a tablet on a table with the speakers soffit mounted in false walls with a finish to match the rest of the room and the electronics tucked away in a cupboard.

I have to admit that is my nightmare. I’d feel like I was in prison or an estate agent show home! My house is rammed full of interesting things, every one with a story, a memory. The hi-fi is a huge part of that, a journey since I was a teenager, I know every nut, bolt and washer in my turntable, I’ve personally restored so much of what is a ‘classic’ system to as-new performance. I have a lifetime of collecting music shelved up, I can pretty much tell you where every single record came from, what is good about it and why it is there. I have guitars, keyboards, paintings, books, all kinds of things to the extent I barely have room to store anything anymore, but I’d not change it. Everything is there for a reason, even if it is just an asset to be released later. Tons of stuff, zero junk/clutter! Full is the new minimalism.

advertisement

Back