advertisement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Audio product which really floats your boat !

Peter Reinder's PTP 12 with Schick 12" arm. Absolutely minimal & beautiful and supposed to sound wonderful too. I've been tempted many times.

0.png

2.png

Project 2.9 Cherry classic, simple, clean lines and right purdy. Sounds good too.

20d6a028690fa4374a731c5eded55d593a99ddbee9cc3cea9653ea5849bb329f

Older Chord Electronics, before they went silly!

9555991726_1_g.jpg

Quad 34/306/FM4

1460381688_7627.jpg

A host of Japanese 70s/80s stuff

Meridian from 200 series to before G series.

Sorry, I like the solid state McIntosh range.

Many others I can't recall right now...

Oh, Issigonis' Mini remains an object-lesson in packaging design, a classic that'll still seat four admittedly-close friends; and yet also a lot of fun to drive stilll - in a way the obvious modern equivalents (say, the Smart for 2, Aygo etc) really, really are not. :)

'We now return you to your original programme...'
isn’t that because the Mini was allowed to crush like a drinks can whereas the modern small stuff isn’t? I don’t disagree on the fun, I’ve got fond memories of my 1963 mini (with floor button start and 1275 engine bought cheap from friends of my parents) including breaking down in London and first-date girlfriend pushing it a short way whilst I steered, lots of laughs. She didn’t drive so wouldn’t swap roles in case I’m sounding like a swine.

Peter Reinder's PTP 12 with Schick 12" arm. Absolutely minimal & beautiful and supposed to sound wonderful too. I've been tempted many times.

0.png

2.png
That's a beautiful thing. Clean, considered and functional.

Obviously quite a bit of subjective difference in 'the beholders eyes' here. IMHO I think a few of these should be in the What Were They Thinking thread. :rolleyes:
My contribution to this thread would be Meridian M1 speakers. I replaced my pair with M10's and more recently with D&D 8c's, but I still miss them.
http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/m1[2751].jpg
I am looking after them,

BW Keith

Braun, obviously.
Quad too.

Quad%20ESL57%201-1.jpg

(placeholder while I go think about taking good pics of my Acoustical FM-1 c 1955 still in use; also Quad AM-2, FM3, late FM4, 306, ESLs past and present... )

ps obvs fake is obvs fake. She'd have to be about be about 3ft nothing; and as for the female model- obvs 'shopped in from some '60s fantasy.
I'm having impure thoughts. Mostly involving unbuttoning pink cardigans.

I love the look of big drive units. Have done since I started noticing hifi back in the 80s. So big Tannoy DCs do it for me. And I’m biased but I have fallen for the Luxman amp looks as well as sound:)

... almost forgot - the original Rega Planet off of the 70s - I tried to nick my mates but he caught me walking out with it under me coat.

743qWoKVTAp3uhRxdvbWXX-970-80.jpg
Isn’t that a late version?
I thought the original had a wooden fillet surrounding the plinth.

Isn’t that a late version?
I thought the original had a wooden fillet surrounding the plinth.

It's the only one I remember seeing at that time (mid 70s) ... AFAIK they only made this one version and the 'satellite' platter design died with it.

The wood plinth looks to me like a 'de-luxe' add on or possibly after market - hideous IMV ... the sort of thing you'd see on a hostess trolley or some such

Definitely Rega, it is the same as the original Planar 2. I really like it, though they look more subtle/muted in real life. Never seen one with a Planet platter though.

advertisement

Back