advertisement

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Audio product which really floats your boat !

Miss Ariel

pfm Member
Hi Guys - I know recently there was a thread of Audio Gear What Where They Thinking Styling Wise ?

What gear really gives or gave you that Wow ! factor.
Sorry can't attach any photos as have struggled with up - loading any photo on Flikr here.

But here are 3 of mine

1) Linn Ittok - I was 19 at the time and had a LVX before and when my dealer brought it round fitted on my LP12 - The engineering and build with the dials just blew me away - even the box was beautiful !
Still love it BTW but that's probably nostalgia.

2) The Meridian 200 series - Never owned any but always loved the styling of it very understated style wise I thought.

3) The Audio Innovations Series 500 amplifier - Had it on a 3 month dealer lone and loved the perspex top and Audio Innovations signature across the perspex and the glow of the valves especially at night - Like a coal fire - Sounded very nice I remember.

Last edited:
I love the dCS Puccini

dcs113large.jpg

Last edited:
Big fan of the ‘mid-century modern’ aesthetic here, so I’d pick some real high-end Eames-era stuff, e.g. big Altec, Klipsch or JBL (Hartsfield etc) speakers from the ‘50s or ‘60s, either a Quad 22/II amp or similar era McIntosh (MC40 etc) and either a Transcriptors Saturn with a SME 3009, or a TD-124 in Ortofon conical plinth with Ortofon arm and SPU. Add a Revox A77, that big SAE tuner with the Nixie tubes, a Marantz 5220 cassette deck and an Eames recliner and job done.

Braun, obviously.
Quad too.

Quad%20ESL57%201-1.jpg

(placeholder while I go think about taking good pics of my Acoustical FM-1 c 1955 still in use; also Quad AM-2, FM3, late FM4, 306, ESLs past and present... )

ps obvs fake is obvs fake. She'd have to be about be about 3ft nothing; and as for the female model- obvs 'shopped in from some '60s fantasy.

Quad 33/303 combo - love at first sight for me :)

Anything by Dieter Rams for Braun (up to the black models)

That diddy little amp Sinclair brought out .....

Pet Hates = all valve amps ... bling ... and 'Baby Belling' hifi (Garrard, Thorens, early Quad, etc... blergh !!)

Oh, Issigonis' Mini remains an object-lesson in packaging design, a classic that'll still seat four admittedly-close friends; and yet also a lot of fun to drive stilll - in a way the obvious modern equivalents (say, the Smart for 2, Aygo etc) really, really are not. :)

'We now return you to your original programme...'

advertisement

Back