advertisement

Beatles - Remastered

Man, this is confusing.

OK, so the files are, top to bottom, the 2009 mono mix, the 1965 stereo mix in the mono box set, and the 1987 stereo mix.

Joe

You are in an ideal position to tell us which mix you prefer! I listened to Help tonight and I have to admit I like the 65 stereo mix, it's not too ping-pong. Rubber Soul tomorrow, which is one of my favs.

Tony.

Why are the left channels of the stereo mixes so different looking from the right channels? Looks like they've electronically produced that channel.

Why are the left channels of the stereo mixes so different looking from the right channels? Looks like they've electronically produced that channel.

Because it's not stereo as you know it and never was. What's in the left channel is completely different to what's in the right channel. Ping pong stereo at it's most pongy with (for example ... I can't remember off the top of my head and for this one I only have the mono on vinyl) vocals and drums in one channel and guitars and bass in the other.

I have to say though I'm confused. Are you guys saying that the mono box has a '65 stereo mix on it as well as the mono mix ... and that there is a different stereo mix in the stereo box?

What's that about?

No, completely different thing, George Martin remixed them again on 1987 and even added digital reverb. Heretic!

Tony.

Its should be a contractual obligation that bands and producers are not allowed to get anywhere near their old masters when their hearing is going without very good reason.

Same thing happened with Rudy Van Gelder and a whole slew of amazingly ****ed over Blue Note CD remasters...

Please! Just.. leave.. them.. the.. ****.. alone.

Uncle,

I have to say though I'm confused. Are you guys saying that the mono box has a '65 stereo mix on it as well as the mono mix ... and that there is a different stereo mix in the stereo box?
Two of the discs in the mono set -- Help! and Rubber Soul -- include the 1965 stereo mixes and these, apparently, are not the same as the new 2009 stereo remixes (found that out yesterday, courtesy of Tony).

It's getting too complicated for my simply mind, but I think I have the complete Beatles set by having the 2009 mono box set, plus the 2009 remastered stereo versions of Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road and Let It Be.

Joe

Two of the discs in the mono set -- Help! and Rubber Soul -- include the 1965 stereo mixes and these, apparently, are not the same as the new 2009 stereo remixes (found that out yesterday, courtesy of Tony).

Would it be a dumb question to ask why the mono box has stereo mixes for these two albums, and why those two specifically ? ... before we even contemplate why they are different mixes to the ones in the stereo box.

Uncle,

My guess is that only Help! and Rubber Soul were short enough to include both versions on a single disc.

Joe

Would it be a dumb question to ask why the mono box has stereo mixes for these two albums, and why those two specifically ? ... before we even contemplate why they are different mixes to the ones in the stereo box.

It has the mono and (1987) stereo mix on one disk. EMI ensuring you don't get the best of both worlds - 2009 Mono and 2009 Stereo. They must be the only albums short enough to get both versions on the same disk.

Stuart

Uncle,

My guess is that only Help! and Rubber Soul were short enough to include both versions on a single disc.

Joe

Hmmm ... nah. I think only the White album is longer than 40 minutes. The early ones may not even quite top 30 minutes. Besides if they put both mixes on one disc they would only sell one box set per Beatles addict. What I'm asking I guess is why the included these stereo mixes at all?

Hey Joe,

I found this handy cut out and keep chart:

Beatles%2Balbums%2Brunning%2Btimes.jpg

(I have no idea what the Singing of the Cyborgs is btw).

Looks like I wasn't quite right. White album 92 minutes, Abbey Rd is 48 minutes (but only comes in stereo anyway), Yellow Submarine is just over 40 minutes (anda again, no mono anyway) the longest of the rest is Sgt Pepper which I actually know to be just short of 40 minutes. The rest are less ... in some cases a lot less.

Uncle,

The rest are less ... in some cases a lot less.
OK, scratch that. It's obvious that many of the other discs are plenty short enough to accomodate both the mono and stereo versions on a single CD, so I'm going to revise my guess in post #410 to FIIN (f$%ked if I know).

Joe

Singing of the Cyborgs is the LP that will be made by robots with the DNA of John, Paul, George and Ringo implanted onto biochips that retain the personality of the band members so as to create and perform new Beatles music with near Kraftwerkian prescision. A bit like the M5 computer in Star Trek.

Ringo needs about 2 x the DNA because his Beatles period isn't his best work (Thomas the Tank Engine references may slip out otherwise) -- but that's what Dual (Apple) Corp processors are for..

fox,

When the Beatles M5 unit goes berserk -- and you know it will -- which bands will it take out before George Martin talks it into destroying itself?

Joe

I'm hoping it starts with ELO -- (they nicked all their best riffs off the Beatles anyway).

OK, scratch that. It's obvious that many of the other discs are plenty short enough to accomodate both the mono and stereo versions on a single CD, so I'm going to revise my guess in post #410 to FIIN (f$%ked if I know).

I suspect they are in the mono box as they are the only unreleased mixes, i.e. between the mono and stereo boxes you have all legitimate releases of the standard UK format albums.

Being pedantic neither box is 100% legitimate anyway as both contain MMT which was a US Capitol release. The mono box is superb in that it even recreates the paper on board cover and Capitol label making it clear it's a different thing. Stunning attention to detail all the way here (the only negative is TWA isn't numbered!). The UK release was a pair of 7" EPs.

Tony.

Found this on wiki --

From the entry on Help!
There have been three Compact Disc releases of Help!. The first was in 1987, when the Beatles' albums were first made available on CD. In 2009 remastered stereo and mono versions of the album were released.

The first CD release was on 30 April 1987, using the 14-song UK track lineup. Having been available only as an import in the US in the past, the original 14-track UK version replaced the original US version with its release on LP and cassette on 21 July 1987. As with the CD release of the 1965 Rubber Soul album, the Help! CD featured a contemporary stereo digital remix of the album prepared by Martin in 1986. Martin had expressed concern to EMI over the original 1965 stereo remix, claiming it sounded "very woolly, and not at all what I thought should be a good issue". Martin went back to the original four-tracks tapes and remixed them for stereo.[8] One of the most notable changes is the echo added to "Dizzy Miss Lizzy", something that was not evident on the original mix of the LP. A few Canadian-origin CD editions of Rubber Soul and Help! use the original mix of the album, presumably in error.

The 2009 remastered stereo CD was released on 9 September. It was "created from the original stereo digital master tapes from Martin's CD mixes made in 1986"[9]. The disc in the mono box set contains the 1965 mono mix as well as the 1965 stereo mix.

From the entry on Rubber Soul
The album was released on CD in the UK and US on 30 April 1987, using the 14-song UK track line-up. Having been available only as an import in the US in the past, the 14 track UK version of the album was issued on LP and cassette on 21 July 1987. As with the CD release of the 1965 Help! album, the Rubber Soul CD featured a contemporary stereo digital remix of the album prepared by George Martin. Martin expressed concern to EMI over the original 1965 stereo remix, claiming it sounded 'very woolly, and not at all what I thought should be a good issue'. George Martin went back to the original four-tracks tapes and remixed them for stereo.[18] A few Canadian-origin CD editions of Rubber Soul and Help! accidentally use the original mix of the album, presumably due to a mix-up.

A newly-remastered CD version of the UK album, again utilising the 1987 George Martin remix, was released worldwide on 9 September 2009. The original 1965 stereo and mono mixes were also reissued on that date as part of the mono box set.

Joe

advertisement

Back