advertisement

BBC Proms 2023

Philharmonia tonight, Elgar In the South pretty good though not quite Boyd Neel or Constantin Sylvestri - Chopin Piano Concerto also good, looking forward to the Strauss which I am not familiar with.

I'm finding some of the Proms this year an interesting change! First I found I liked the "Northern Soul" one. Then the "Mindful Mix" one. Now plan to get the recent CD issued by Voices8 as I was impressed by their singing! In general I've come to enjoy the variety in types of music. Already have lots of Classical music, so a wider range is welcome from my POV.

I haven't noticed hardly any proms broadcast on BBC 4? Is this correct or have I somehow missed them all?

Rattle was Sunday. I thought it was O.K. but late Mahler symphonies are not my favourites, in fact I can probably swerve all but the 2 if pushed.

There's an old saw about Wagner having some wonderful moments... surrounded of hours of tedium. I tend to regard Mahler like that... with fewer good bits. 8-]

TBH In general the Proms that I enjoy most tend to be the ones with content that isn't "yet another performance of". Exceptions tend to be ones like the Sibelius Violin Con Prom a few years ago where the soloist also did some 'folk music' with the audidence and all had a good time.

Outrage! The most Woke Last Night of The Proms eva! More EU flags than Union Jacks, conducted by an American Lesbian who gave a speech about equality and a studio host and guests who were all women. The usual suspects are kicking off…

SGlFRTB.jpg

Bloomin eck. That's speak your brains if ever I heard it!

So was this chap right? Did you think there were far too many EU flags?

Speak your brains on pfm.

I saw one prom night when I was able: Mendelssohn's 3rd symphony 'Scottish' around 19th August.. & this was really exceptional. Budapest symphony orchestra-? My memory isn't great. Conductor a bit of a star, grey hair, 70 odd.

I've never seen such an enthusiastic rowsing applause afterwards.

Bloomin eck. That's speak your brains if ever I heard it!

So was this chap right? Did you think there were far too many EU flags?

Speak your brains on pfm.
The “Last Night” isn’t my favourite prom but I was amused and heartened by the number of EU flags being waved. The tide is turning and common sense is returning and being shown. As for the BBC messing up a British tradition, the idiot who wrote that might care to reflect that without the BBC the Proms would likely have died years ago. Perhaps he would support a regime where concert goers are searched and have any non approved flags confiscated and be forced to wave their union jacks. I’m sure said idiot could find such a place to live…

I don`t watch the proms and I don`t listen to the second part where it all goes stupid, I enjoyed the first half, particularly Lise Davidsen.

Harvey Proctor is a long established idiot and generally iffy character, I can`t imagine anyone cares what bile he oozes, he`s probably just angling for a spot on GB News.

I really enjoyed the Last Night once more - on TV. It's not a serious musical concert - it's an event (which I have attended in person once - because I just had to have that experience in the bank).

It's an event to which, to me as a listener, quite different standards are appropriate relative to normal. I ignore the inevitable politics but the normal standards for performers still apply. And the musicianship was fabulous all round. The event-specific conducting, presenting and production were all superb too.

I cannot resist mentioning Lise Davidsen specifically. Her voice amazed me. I eagerly await hearing her in the great roles such as Brunhilde.

I saw one prom night when I was able: Mendelssohn's 3rd symphony 'Scottish' around 19th August.. & this was really exceptional. Budapest symphony orchestra-? My memory isn't great. Conductor a bit of a star, grey hair, 70 odd.

I've never seen such an enthusiastic rowsing applause afterwards.

I was there at that one. It was pretty special.

I was there at that one. It was pretty special.

Wow- I can only imagine how good that was. I've never been to a classical concert, not even a quartet in a church, though used to be a choirister before my plums plummeted. And I'd never heard this Symphony either.

Are the acoustics top notch in RAHall? I saw a thing on the floating acoustic baffles they had to put in.. which I am adamant Brixton Academy needs terribly: awful doubling of sound up into dome & down smearing sound & ruining the crowds listening experience; well, only mine it seems in fact.. no-one but me seems to ever mention it.

Capt

No. They're a bit rubbish tbh. Still it's a great venue and I used to enjoy being a Proms regular.

That does seem remarkable to me. As surely the thing was designed with acoustics primarily in mind. And the LZ 71? live recording (bonham orange wifebeater t-shirt) is great, no smearing. Perplexing.

advertisement

Back