advertisement

BBC Proms 2023

Barrymagrec

pfm Member
Received my 2023 prom guide yesterday - some good, some less so.

Lots of Rachmaninov which is fair for an anniversary year, no Vaughan Williams except for an outlying concert which presumably won`t be broadcast, not much opera though they are doing the Trojans, which is a monster.

The last night, which I usually find missable has Lise Davidsen so I will certainly listen to the first half.

A very mixed bag this year I think.

Just found the TV Schedule. Doesn’t look too inspiring. I’ll probably end up watching most of the actual classical stuff, but nothing to get too excited about.

Only one Bruckner symphony... let's hope they are saving him up for next year's 200th birthday.

Mahler 3, 9 and 10, though - the Big Three as far as I am concerned. Will the audience contain themselves for at least a few seconds at the end of numbers 9 and 10? Will stewards with tasers be deployed to deter the "Bravo!" delinquents??

Carmina Burana (if you like that sort of thing) with a probably-ideal interpreter in Kazuki Yamada (I'll tell you when I've heard it at a sold-out Symphony Hall on Thursday) and what is definitely one of the world's finest choruses.

And on previous experience, Samy Moussa's 2nd Symphony is likely to be worth hearing...

Will the audience contain themselves for at least a few seconds at the end of numbers 9 and 10? Will stewards with tasers be deployed to deter the "Bravo!" delinquents??

What about the eejits that applaud in between movements? I know that some 'people' consider it acceptable practice nowadays, but I'm afraid that I'm a dyed in the wool old fart when it comes to that abomination. :eek:

This is what caught my eye in London - a lot of potentially interesting stuff this year

Carmelites
Endgame
Paradise and the Peri
Rite of Spring by heart
Trojans
Rattle Mahler

...Carmina Burana (if you like that sort of thing) with a probably-ideal interpreter in Kazuki Yamada (I'll tell you when I've heard it at a sold-out Symphony Hall on Thursday)...
Bugger. Having successfully avoided Covid for more than three years I tested positive yesterday, so won't be going to Symphony Hall tomorrow :(

The Kraken variant seems to be very transmissible - 2 of the 3 soloists have been replaced at the last minute.

Cautious behaviour might be advisable for a while if you are vulnerable.

I've always enjoyed listening in on the wireless, but my desire to attend Proms is close to zero these days. On a nice day it's horribly hot in there and the sound isn't too good either.

Yes, it`s a long time since I`ve been. I did see Flash on a last night though. Before the last night went even more silly. My Mum blamed Sargent for that, she said that it was much better with Adrian Boult.....

Yes, it`s a long time since I`ve been. I did see Flash on a last night though. Before the last night went even more silly. My Mum blamed Sargent for that, she said that it was much better with Adrian Boult.....
But oh! to have been there in 1967. Must have been enormously moving.

Somewhat underwhelmed by Storgards doing Sibelius symphony No. 1 last night, draggy and flat. The Walton violin Concerto was a little better but the inevitable first performance, Kafka`s Earplugs by Gerald Barry was truly dreadful, has anything like a tune ever occurred to some of these people, to paraphrase Vaughan Williams.

I`m feeling a bit old guy at the moment.....

Recently (I can't resist). Belshazzar's Feast - superb. Copland's symphony No.3 - really excellent (not to belittle the rest of tonight's concert including Strauss' Four last Songs). But the encore - an arrangement of Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" - "absolutely fabulous" and the audience was clearly "in the groove".

Listening to Dialoges Des Carmelites - pretty good Glyndebourne production though quite different to the original 1958 recording with Regine Cresin and Pierre Dervaux.

The final scene is the crunch.

advertisement

Back