advertisement

BBC 4 music series tonight (11/01) - drums

Saw the third prog. last night with mein schatz. It was the weakest episode for us, still interesting enough to keep me staring at the T.V. for an hour.

Saw the guitar programme - Lenny Kaye is a likeable fellow but again there were gaping holes in this programme.

Hardly a mention of Clapton or Jeff Beck.

What about Peter Green?

I guess the programme was about the electric guitar but would have been nice to have recognised the importance of Davy Graham, Bert Jansch or even Nick Drake.

From a personal point of view I would have liked to have seen something on Vini Reilly of The Durutti Column (but that was never going to happen).

These programmes are are far too short at 1 hour (should have been 90 minutes minimum).

I don’t think that’s fair. TW played bass in one of the most innovative and important bands of that generation by far. Talking Heads really were spectacularly good. Her evolution from punk start-up to something really funky and groovy within a couple of years was a really nice learning curve/progression, and brought a very interesting perspective to the program. I thought she was a great choice, in fact I can’t really fault any of the presenters. Each had played in a truly innovative top-tier band and on records that would appear in any ‘top 100’ chart. Can’t really ask for more than that, surely?

You may well be right...personal taste colours one's judgement. I have never been a Talking Heads fan so take my comments with that in mind.

advertisement

Back