advertisement

BBC 4 music series tonight (11/01) - drums

The Andy Summers film on Amazon Prime is quite interesting for anyone who liked The Police, can’t remember what it is called though.

I guess a programme such as this is likely to illicit responses about who they didn’t mention, as much as who they did focus on.
For me ( I’m not a drummer) it would have been good to see someone such as Steve Gadd or Keith Carlock doing some Steely Dan stuff, superb examples of technical yet groovy drumming. Or someone such as Gavin Harrison who whilst being from the big drum kit brigade, plays some truly amazing technical patterns which add tunes to rhythm.
I’ll admit there are so many drummers worthy of a mention & the programme is only an hour long.

I did not know that Stewart was so pleasingly nuts about his job. Infectious enthusiasm.

How come he and his friends are not all deaf?

For me ( I’m not a drummer) it would have been good to see someone such as Steve Gadd or Keith Carlock doing some Steely Dan stuff, superb examples of technical yet groovy drumming.

There was plenty of that in The Art of Drumming on Sky Arts (still available on NowTV catch-up)

That was really good!

I enjoyed it too. Probably just as well they didn’t ask any of Buddy Rich’s band members to appear - I have to say that I was expecting Art Blakey to be the featured ‘Jazz’ drummer.

Copland has a pretty nice music room.

I enjoyed it too. Probably just as well they didn’t ask any of Buddy Rich’s band members to appear - I have to say that I was expecting Art Blakey to be the featured ‘Jazz’ drummer.

I was surprised by the lack of Art Blakey, but I thought Copland covered the development well and I liked the idea of the bass drum pedal being the key development/breakthrough. I was (as ever) particularly impressed by Sheila E and really liked the segment on the conga player who had played on Marvin Gaye’s What’s Going On (one of my favourite albums). A little too much focus on conventional white rock music, but nowhere near as unbalanced as these things usually are. Definitely one of the best BBC 4 things of its ilk I’ve ever seen. I hope Tina Weymouth’s bass program next week is of a similarly high standard. I’d expect her to have good diverse taste, knowledge and insight, so hopefully...

Excellent programme.
Looking forward to next week, as I am a former bass guitar player.
I wanted a Hofner ‘Violin’ McCartney type bass, but ended up playing a Framus
bass guitar of a similar shape.
And wasn’t it good...

Hmmmm, no sign of it via my usuall dodgy sources!
Would like to see just for Copeland...

I was surprised by the lack of Art Blakey
Was too but made up for it by doing the segment on Elvin. I was lucky enough to see Elvin live at Ronnie Scotts and he was just a force of nature. Absolutely amazing! Overall I thought the show was a fun ride and looking forward to bass next.

Was too but made up for it by doing the segment on Elvin. I was lucky enough to see Elvin live at Ronnie Scotts and he was just a force of nature. Absolutely amazing! Overall I thought the show was a fun ride and looking forward to bass next.

I’d have loved to see that, he really was an incredible drummer.

I enjoyed it.

when they covered the Linn drum machine, I felt that they should have mentioned the Roland TR-808, which I think was/is more influential. That awful Linn machine gave the eighties an unpleasant signature.

I thought Stewart Copeland made at least 4 hidden digs directed at Sting during the programme, subtle.

I want my drumkit back, it is currently on tour visiting each of my kids for an undefined (? 3 months) period, I cannot play very well, but I like making a noise with them.

advertisement

Back