advertisement

BBC 4 music series tonight (11/01) - drums

I enjoyed Tina Weymouth’s bass prog tonight, this is a really good series.

I enjoyed it too - shame there was no room for Danny Thompson:-

220px-Danny_Thompson.JPG

...That man has played on so many great records and yet never seems to get a mention.

I enjoyed it too - shame there was no room for Danny Thompson:-

220px-Danny_Thompson.JPG

...That man has played on so many great records and yet never seems to get a mention.

His name was in my head too - together with Mingus on the Jazz side of things.

It seemed to be a lot more about Talking Heads than the Copland programme was about the Police.

Jaco, Chris Squire, Lemmy, Tangerine Dream, John Entwistle, Stanley Clarke.
Not a mention in Weymouth's partial account of bass playing.

It is inevitable no one hour program can cover everything, and the focus will inevitably be more on those available to be interviewed than on the dead. Again like the drums one I thought it was a good program and really appreciated that it wasn’t the usual over-focus on white rock music. I agree Mingus and Chris Squire should at least have been mentioned, and I’m surprised there was no focus on fretless bass (Jaco etc), but it was still great.

I liked the enthusiasm & joy of music but thought the actual content was a bit lightweight. As others have said, there are several bassists that I would have liked to see mentioned but agree that it’s a fixed hour & they have to draw a line somewhere.

I enjoyed the bass episode, for an hour, it did a good job. I expected to see Mark King...

What I find fascinating is that my wife, who is no big fan of music, has watched both the drumming and bass programmes so far. I believe that this series of programmes is helping people to 'listen ' to music in a more critical sense.

I have just put this to my missus, who actually agreed with me.

:)

^^^^^ As that.

When watching the drums episode alone my wife joined me after half an hour in. Had to it start again, it is good to enjoy music with your partner,
well I do anyway.

Bloss

I enjoyed it, especially since programmes about bass players are as rare as hens teeth ! However, it wasn't great, compared to the Drums episode, or e.g. the recent Sky Arts drumming programmes. It seemed a bit more lazy in its production.

I really enjoyed all three - interesting that where Stuart Copeland and Lennie Kaye played their instruments Tina Weymouth just held hers as a prop. Seems like a bit of misogyny to me - although the series did try to get away from "music = white men".

There were a few dark stories about Byrne making Weymouth audition to stay in Talking Heads and she was taken off bass in some of their songs and put on a keyboard thing - as is seen in Stop Making Sense. But then she did mention the band more than either of the other presenters mentioned people they'd played with. Copeland got a "written by" credit as well which the others didn't.

Hendrix though - every time I see a film of him playing it just blows me away. IMO he's in another league to any of the musicians across all three shows, great though many of them are. I think you'd have to head into jazz to find his equal.

Kevin

Hendrix though - every time I see a film of him playing it just blows me away. IMO he's in another league to any of the musicians across all three shows, great though many of them are. I think you'd have to head into jazz to find his equal.

He’s unquestionably the best guitarist ever defined as ‘rock’, though I view him far more as a miscategorised jazz muso. I’ve never really seen the point of Led Zep and the other bands Hendrix spawned, let alone the later ‘widdly-widdly-rock’ such as Scorpions, Van Halen etc as they were so clearly many tiers below to my mind. I really would love to have seen where Hendrix ended up had he lived. If the rumour he was planning to work with Miles Davis was true that really would have been something.

I enjoyed all three shows a lot and liked the way yesterday’s drew an effective timeline from Les Paul through to today’s looper pedallers. There were ommissions, e.g. I’m surprised Nile Rogers wasn’t on it given he was interviewed on the bass one, and I’d have liked to see a mention of someone who’d taken the guitar well off the beaten path such as Robert Fripp, Bill Laswell, Viny Reilly etc.

................ Tina Weymouth just held hers as a prop. Seems like a bit of misogyny to me -

Kevin

I have never rated her as a bass player...she was adequate at best imo. There are many many much better bass players that could have presented the programme...but not many women. I can think of three off hand that are head a shoulders over Ms Weymouth but availability to present the programme was obviously a factor.

I don’t think that’s fair. TW played bass in one of the most innovative and important bands of that generation by far. Talking Heads really were spectacularly good. Her evolution from punk start-up to something really funky and groovy within a couple of years was a really nice learning curve/progression, and brought a very interesting perspective to the program. I thought she was a great choice, in fact I can’t really fault any of the presenters. Each had played in a truly innovative top-tier band and on records that would appear in any ‘top 100’ chart. Can’t really ask for more than that, surely?

advertisement

Back